Spuds Vs Chelsea (PL) Sun 20 Aug 2017 KO 16:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I find whenever I expect the Chels to get beat under a whole slew of adverse circumstances and a press pillorying in advance they usually don't lose, and quite often surprise the fark out of the whole footballing world.

Sub consciously I am already surmising that the 'orrible spuds will break their Wembley 'curse' next Sunday with our boys the cliched lambs led to the slaughter....................

1 hour ago, coco said:

You can guarantee they will try to expose us in the air again, like Ali did with Cesar last season twice to win the game. Same against Burnley, twice caught out in the air with similar diagonal balls from right to left. I hope Conte has that covered this week in training. 

A few teams tried to expose the area where Azpi and Moses challenge in the air, the 4-0 United game would've been different if Zlatan hit the target. 

Unfortunately due to Cahill's red card we are going to have to go back to that, and let's be honest Azpi isn't a great WB, you win a lot and lose a bit with him in the team as CB.

Out of our current fit team:
                  Morata
            Musonda Willian
            David Luiz Kante
Alonso Christensen Rudiger Azpi Moses
                 Courtois

19 minutes ago, EmeraldBlue said:

Neither team has a great record at the ground and it's great that Spurs are hot favourites. I'll predict a draw. BTW, I think we have to leave Luiz at the back as he is our most experienced central defender.

trouble for me is that Luiz seems useless at organising others around him and when he has to take that responsibility he often makes errors himself - I'd go with Christensen in the central position

on a tangent @EmeraldBluehow did the Tipp hurlers get on?

Azpi is a better shout than Luiz at CM. (Christensen too for that matter.) Luiz at CB will give us much needed stability also. To continue with the back three that ended the positive second half against Burnley makes sense from a confidence perspective also. Azpi can sit deep and man mark Eriksen, who is their most important player imo. Would be a defensive tactic, but I think Azpi could be a very effective man-marker. Eriksen assisted three of the last four goals we conceded against Spurs, from just outside the box, so goes without saying that we need to stop him with other measures than before. 3-5-2 was used last season when we wanted to close games, and that is exactly what I expect here. Kanté and Willian on either side of Azpi would give us an advantage in the center of the pitch, and they also pose a huge counter-attacking threat that may restrict their CMs from contributing in attack. Batshuayi + Morata could be a decent duo up front too. If Pedro is fit, he takes Batshuayi's place and plays as the secondary striker off Morata.

For me, it's definitely

Courtois

Christensen
Luiz
Rudiger

Moses
Kante
Azpi
Willian
Alonso

Batshuayi/Pedro
Morata

Frankly, a draw is the target here. We need to sit deep, wait for opportunities to counter and hope for magic.

Edited by The Don Antonio

2 hours ago, sonic90 said:

A few teams tried to expose the area where Azpi and Moses challenge in the air, the 4-0 United game would've been different if Zlatan hit the target. 

Unfortunately due to Cahill's red card we are going to have to go back to that, and let's be honest Azpi isn't a great WB, you win a lot and lose a bit with him in the team as CB.

Morata
            Boga Willian
            David Luiz Kante
                 Courtois

FYP

4 hours ago, General said:

I find whenever I expect the Chels to get beat under a whole slew of adverse circumstances and a press pillorying in advance they usually don't lose, and quite often surprise the fark out of the whole footballing world.

Sub consciously I am already surmising that the 'orrible spuds will break their Wembley 'curse' next Sunday with our boys the cliched lambs led to the slaughter....................

Can't see us winning a game till October, Everton, arse and city home, y*ds, Leicester, stoke away, where's a win there? 

5 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Morata
            Musonda Willian
            David Luiz Kante
                 Courtois

That's 12 players..

I can't see us dominating this game. Only way I can see us winning if its a gritty victory where we withstand a lot of pressure, but then again if one team are going to have such a victory it is Chelsea.

If we keep Eriksen quiet, I don't think we lose the game...Easier said than done though.

I think spuds will tear us up.... Everyone including me has mocked spuds for lack of buying.. They don't need anyone... Their team is as good as it gets... 3 2 spuds.... Will hate this Sunday.....
They need to improve as we do. We have actually tried to do so. They flopped in CL last term.

This game comes too soon for us and I can't really see us winning or even draw. I still like more what we have tried to do. I think we will buy 2-3 players and without major injuries we can compete with anyone in the league.

16 hours ago, Mike Carefree said:

I think spuds will tear us up.... Everyone including me has mocked spuds for lack of buying.. They don't need anyone... Their team is as good as it gets... 3 2 spuds.... Will hate this Sunday.....

Think it's an afternoon to take the dog for a long walk, glad I didn't bother getting a ticket, nearly did

trouble for me is that Luiz seems useless at organising others around him and when he has to take that responsibility he often makes errors himself - I'd go with Christensen in the central position
on a tangent [mention=7234]EmeraldBlue[/mention]how did the Tipp hurlers get on?

Off topic: lost to Galway in the semi final. Waterford are the other finalists.