So long Alex ..

Davey Baby

Measuring up level of performance against minutes on the pitch ,id say hes been our best central defender these past 5 years.

Clearly though he doesnt fit in with AVBs plans, as there are only so many slow defenders you can have!

Best of luck to him.

actually, this is NOT good news at all................yes he had put in a transfer request and yes he (obviously) fell out with AVB but 2 years ago he was top class for 2 seasons...................and everyone in the club loved the bloke

so for me, yes good luck Alex, thanks for your efforts - but you'll be missed

actually, this is NOT good news at all................yes he had put in a transfer request and yes he (obviously) fell out with AVB but 2 years ago he was top class for 2 seasons...................and everyone in the club loved the bloke

so for me, yes good luck Alex, thanks for your efforts - but you'll be missed

Where does anyone say it is 'good news'?

He was a great player for us, very underrated in England and sadly, by his national team as well. I feel his best years are behind him unfortunately, not because of declining ability but his injury record is nightmarish.

Probably one of the best pieces of business during the Jose Mourinho era.

Good deal for Alex. Lot better than QPR. I have a feeling we will face PSG in the CL and will see Alex's freekick from the "wrong" point of view. Hope it doesn't go in that time.

I always liked Alex and thought he played too little.

Good luck Alex!

My kind of "traditional" centre-back. A defender first and foremost.

No wandering off out of position halfway up the pitch. No jumping in for half-arsed interceptions that you're not favourite to win. Tight marking of opposing players at set-pieces rather than standing three yards off marking thin air.

Alright, he didn't have any real pace but IMO his positioning was generally spot on and so he rarely got exposed. Whenever he had a run of games he was consistent. Plus chipped in with valuable goals. So all told a very decent player who could, IMO, still do a job for us.

Really sorry to see him go.

Have to say I'm a little disappointed he didn't come back to Santos. But he obviously feels he has another big European club left in him. He probably will come back Brazil eventually. PSG have som fantastic players and Alex will be playing beside the best young defender in world. The great Mamadou Sakho