If there were/was no CFC

mad_mac

I was thinking about this earlier, but imagine Bates hadn't saved us, or imaging Roman pulled out and we ceased to exist (yes, this is all hypothetical, so please no replies with "Roman ain't leaving...etc),

what would you do, and who would be the likely succesor of your alegiances?

Thanks

I have my home team - Levski - to fall back on, but this scenario is nightmarish. There is no other foreign team I would support with anything like the same level of passion. I still get strange looks when I say Chelsea come first, but it does.

I hope you're not starting to lose the enjoyment of supporting Chelsea, mad_mac. That would be a real shame.

Christ no, Virosh. Been following Chelsea for over 18 years. A couple of bad results and another manager gone doesn't mean I stopping to follow the passion that is Chelsea FC. I just wondered what would have happened to us all if there was no CFC.

I think if there was no CFC, for me I'd probably just watch for the Scottish National teams... which is more painful

My "second team" has always been Brechin City. Theirs is the only result I always keep an eye out for after Chelsea. But Scotland is a way off so I guess it would have to be AFC Wimbledon as I was born in Wimbledon and Plough Lane is the first football ground I ever went to as a kid when the original club played in the old Southern League.

That said, I now have a soft spot for Norwich since moving to Norfolk a few years back and they do have a very decent and vocal local following. It's funny having spent years in Surrey & London where there are fans of all teams - all the London clubs but of course Utd and Liverpool. Where I am now, everyone supports Norwich and home games on a Saturday you go out and it's yellow and green wherever you go, A good family club.

Not sure. Maybe ManU. It would probably be between them, Liverpool and Tottenham.

*runs and takes cover*

Have you NO shame!!!

Inverness Caley?

Dunfermline Athletic?

Raith Rovers?

I became a Chelsea fan when I stayed in the Fulham area of London (can't be more specific, it was like 6 years ago) and met a lot of CFC fans, so if CFC didn't exist at that time then maybe I would've encountered Fulham fans. Fulham buying an American like Clint Dempsey would probably have cemented my allegiance to them, especially as they already had some other American players at the time I believe.

Or maybe I'd just pick an MLS team (no local one) to follow, or just be a die-hard US national team fan and not worry about club teams.

Because I pull for the German national team, Bayern is the squad I pull for as my "second" seeing that they have a bulk of the players on their squad. If there was no CFC, Bayern would move to slot #1.

Schalke 04, followed by Lazio, and then River Plate. I would not follow any other English team if CFC went belly up.

Certainly not the bandwagon teams that Moos mentioned (that is disgraceful).

I'm thinking he's pulling our legs. :smile:

Hey Phillip, a few days ago I posted that you and I should keep our eye on something and discuss it at the end of the season. Given my rotten memory, I've already forgotten what it is! Do you happen to remember (or did you not even notice?)

Interesting question. My local team is LA Galaxy. I'm in Orange County, about 30 to 40 minutes south of LA. So if there was no Chelsea, Galaxy would take over the #1 spot for me.

But if I had to pick a different Prem team, it probably would've been Arsenal. Keep in mind that with no Chelsea, I wouldn't have the anti-Arsenal feelings that I do. Can't stand United or Liverpool, so not them. I'd like to say Fulham because of they're history of having American players. But realistically, up until quite recently, we rarely got games televised over here that involved anyone other than the big teams. So if I wanted to follow a team that I could actually follow, and not just read about occasionally, my options would've been United, Liverpool, Arsenal......followed by the big Italian teams, which are/were also televised.

would have been charlton or Crystalpalace for me that i had to turn to. Probably Charlton, did a lot of holiday programmes with their club when i was younger and always had a soft spot for them. Great to see them on the verge of getting back into the championship

That said, I now have a soft spot for Norwich since moving to Norfolk a few years back and they do have a very decent and vocal local following. It's funny having spent years in Surrey & London where there are fans of all teams - all the London clubs but of course Utd and Liverpool. Where I am now, everyone supports Norwich and home games on a Saturday you go out and it's yellow and green wherever you go, A good family club.

I have a friend who's from Norwich and he loves that club. He's reveling in their season and he's deathly afraid some larger club is going to snatch away their manager, Paul Lambert. Good club to support.