Chelsea v Corinthians (World Club Cup Final) 16/12/2012 KO 10:30 GMT

Jezz

Gotta have Lampard in it to be honest. 

Would you put lampard in your current strongest 11? That's what we are going to put out sunday and for me lampard has 2 or 3 players ahead of him in his position. He is a good sub to bring on when we need a calming influence but he is no longer a starter in big games anymore unfortunately.

The team I'd like to see start is as follows:-

-----------------------Cech------------------------

Ivanovic----------Cahill--------Luiz-----------Cole

-------------------Mikel-------Ramires-------------

Mata---------------------Oscar---------------Hazard

------------------------Torres---------------------

Well excited about the prospect of becoming "World Champions", that should shut up my scouse friends once and for all about their 5 bloody european cups.

Interestingly enough, Liverpool lost all 3 CWC/Intercontinental finals they appeared in, and declined to participate in the other 2.

Tricky decision about the two central midfielders. Ramires and Mikel are both banned for our next game after this one so they could play since they don't need much rest, but on the other hand, with them gone it'll probably be Luiz and Lampard together in the next game and both might need to play seeing as one has been out injured for quite a while and the other hasn't played much in that position.

Corinthians don't really strike me as a great side- they have some really good players, but they seem really disjointed as a team. We need to be at our attacking best because they could easily snatch a win at the death and have a few players that are capable of something special, but if they were to get an early goal or more I wouldn't bet on them to hold out against us.

I think the winner will be the team that scores the most goals.

My observations on Corinthians:

1) Their attack of Guerrero, Martinez, Emerson (Qatar) and Liedson is not to be sneezed at. Guerrero's off-the-ball movement will need to be watched, while Martinez is both quick and tricky. Liedson is a good finisher, but Emerson presents the biggest threat. He's tricky, reasonably pacy, fairly creative as a second striker and has excellent movement and has excellent off-the-ball movement.

2) I therefore suggest a physical approach be taken against these guys, to exploit their relative lack of strength and in the case of Guerrero, a volatile temperament. If we get up Guerrero's nose enough, then he may act out and get himself sent off. There is a good chance Azpilicueta will get beaten if forced to take on Martinez by himself, so he will need some defensive support. That should probably come from Mikel or even Moses if necessary - I don't really like the idea of dragging our CB's out of position. 

3) Tite, like many Brazilian coaches, favours a 4-2-2-2, or the 'magic box' notoriously used by Wanderley Luxemburgo at Real Madrid. This formation can be hard to penetrate because of the 2 holding midfielders in front of the 2 centre backs and is a pretty good counter-attacking formation because the 2 centre midfielders are free to move forward, but for width they rely exclusively on the full-backs. Their full-backs aren't as impressive as their attack, so if you stop them from coming forward, Corinthians would therefore have no width and would see relatively little possession. It would therefore not surprise me if Benitez deployed Moses on one of the flanks. On the other hand, Benitez may choose to try and simply overwhelm their weaker defence by committing Mata, Oscar, Hazard and maybe even Luiz forward. That wouldn't surprise me, either - it would distract Paulinho from getting forward, at least. 

4) Corinthians were surprisingly mediocre against a modest Al-Ahly side. They need to play much better than that to beat us. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SydneyChelsea" data-cid="572259" data-time="1355459660"><p>

I think the winner will be the team that scores the most goals.</p></blockquote>

Are you sure?

Will be a tough one as they really want to show up as 20k of their fans have flown in. That is incredible to be honest.

I think the fact we have brazilians will help us. They can prepare our boys for this one.

Perfect time for a game, sunday luchtime and it is on TV.

It will be interesting to see what role Luiz plays in this game, given his good performance (by all accounts, unfortunately work got in the way of me seeing this) against Monterrey

I don't think we should take Corinthian's too lightly, but I do think they may sit back and try to hit us on the counter, so we'll need to make chances count....oh my

This is 1030am GMT Sunday morning, so that'll be 2.30am for me, after a part I am attending? I will apologise now for my language during match chat

Thanks

Corinthians don't really strike me as a great side- they have some really good players, but they seem really disjointed as a team. We need to be at our attacking best because they could easily snatch a win at the death and have a few players that are capable of something special, but if they were to get an early goal or more I wouldn't bet on them to hold out against us.

I think the winner will be the team that scores the most goals.

You reckon?

Would you put lampard in your current strongest 11? That's what we are going to put out sunday and for me lampard has 2 or 3 players ahead of him in his position. He is a good sub to bring on when we need a calming influence but he is no longer a starter in big games anymore unfortunately.

He was a massive factor in us winning the Champions League. He deserves a spot. It's not like he's a youth player we're taking a chance on. He's the captain for this tournament. He's the most experienced player in the squad and one of the most talented. He starts. No excuse or do you honestly think Luiz deserves that midfield spot over him? 

Let's not give them too much respect. We're miles better in terms of quality. If I don't see Super Frank lift that trophy on Sunday then, it would be a massive upset. 

Archived