Player Ratings Swansea

Liam

We did enough to win 4 – 0 and that was playing 80 minutes with 10 men.

Turnbull – 6 - Despite looking like a teenager on steroids, who’s just spent a month locked in a chocolate éclair factory, Ross has done OK since he came into the team. This is good news as given Cech’s excellence, his massive contribution to our successes and the fact that he is fast becoming a legend, eet ees tine for hin to move on as the cluv muss chain as player con and go.

Cole – 6 -Flash git off the park, model pro on it. We'll be very lucky if we ever get a left full as good as him again.

Ivanovich - 5 - Big buttocks, big mistakes. Usually excellent.

Cahill –7 - Looks like we may have done the unthinkable - found a replacement for JT. Proper centre half, lacking Terry's range of passing, but has all the other attributes to really nail down his place for years to come. The interim has a difficult decision to make when JT is fit again.

Dave – 7 - Getting more and more excited that we may finally have found a right full, a position we have struggled with for years. His final ball will improve.

Hazard – 7 - It's all very well that he ghosts past defences, makes something happen everytime he gets the ball, and almost invariably produces an end product, but can he defend?

Oscar –6 - So much potential and footballing intelligence and such a beautiful complexion, we're lucky that we'll be able to watch him play for years to come.

Luiz – 8 - We knew he'd be good when he finally got a run in midfield, but this good? He does exactly what Mikel never does - dominate games, impose himself on the opposition, dictate the  pace and he has both the eye for a pass and the ability to make it. Again what pleasure awaits us.

Ramires – 6 - Bizarre really. Sometimes he panics and sometimes he doesn’t.

Torres - 2 - Pout - check. Fall over - check. Hide - check. Fail to gamble - check. His first touch with his back to goal is now achieved by hovering a tentative foot 6 inches off the ground in an attempt to stop the ball with his studs. I know this move as I used to do it myself and I was well known for my second touch being a tackle. It is the move of a player who looks as if he is completely, utterly, irrevocably finished. As all the footballing staff at the club can see this too you have to wonder when it will end and why it hasn't ended long before now.

Mata – 7 - Skill - check. Desire - check. Joy - check. Imagination - check. An artist weaving his magic on the pitch week-in, week-out. We're blessed.

Ba – 7 – We look a much better team with 11 players.

interim - Young Plokoon made the case in another thread that the interim is a force for good. Let's examine the evidence (with reference to previous managers).

1. He doesn't seem to rate Mikel.

2. Most of the time his clothes fit him.

3. He has reasonable control over his eyebrows.

4. It appears as if he may not rate Mikel.

5. He has a curvature of the face, despite the vain attempt at definition- giving facial hair, that may or may not be preferable to an indefinable angularity, perhaps.

6. There are occasions when it would seem as if he is not fully aware of the cameras.

7. I thought the tactics were spot on.

8. He plays Luiz in midfield.

Ploks may have a point.

Of course we'll all be delighted when the odious toerag f**ks off.

Referee – 2 - Gave us absolutely nothing. 

i agree with most of your ratings but both ivan and matas rating are too high. ivan was the wors player on the pitch, theres no way around, he was directly responsible for the goals. Mata did nothing of note except waste some really good chances, even his corner taking wasnt on his usual level.

so id say

ivan 2

mata 5

He doesn't seem to rate Mikel.

Not sure that is true.

If you don't count the games which he's missed due to suspension and then injury, he's played in four out of seven games. And I think that him being on the bench in the other three could be due to rotation because we had two games every week (others were rotated as well then).

Now he's away for ACN, so obviously Rafa wont play him now.

I'd say Luiz, Hazard and Dave were our best players on the pitch tonight, in that order.

Cahill, Oscar and Cole were solid.

Mata was a bit below par, as was Ramires.

Don't have much to say about Turnbull, probably could have done better for that first goal but could do nothing about the 2nd, didn't have much else to do.

Torres was MIA, and enough has been said about Iva.

Just for this match ill give our side passing, back passing SUPERSTARS.........NIL POINTS

It was hard for the midfield to pass forwards when they had absolutely nothing to aim at for 80 minutes.

Hazard played very well. Watch this boy take off when he has a proper centre-forward  in front of him. Luiz very good, as was Cahill and Dave. Oscar was a notch below but still played very well. Ramires, Ivan, Torres very poor. Mata well below his usual level.

Marks way too high Liam. Although we didn't really play badly, too many players were off their game.

Turnbull 5 Didn't have loads to do but a top keeper might have saved both goals and we know he isn't a top keeper.

Dave 5 His worst game IMO. Got in some good posistions but his delivery was shocking.

Cahill 7.5 Steady game and didn't do a lot wrong

Ivan 2 I love Ivan and he won't need telling how bad his mistakes were. No excuses.

Cole 5 Defended okay and got forward a few times but he doesn't seem like the player of a season ago and before

Ramires 4 Started well but got poorer and poorer as game went on and was rightly hooked

Luiz 8.5 Clear MOTM and was everywhere although did fade last 15

Oscar 6 Some great glimpsese here and there but got hustled out and looked very tired second half

Mata 5.5 Always looking to do something but some times even the best can't produce and last night was one of those times

Hazard 5 Started okay but faded again and has to do a lot more to justify the hype

Torres 4 Was ok(ish) in the first half but shouldn't have started and certainly shouldn't have still be on at 80 minutes. Sigh.

Lamps 6 Did his normal stuff and shame he wasn't on earlier

Ba 7.5 Looked very lively. Why oh why did he only get 10 minutes.

Marin 6 Also looked lively and also should have come on earlier

FSW 0. Please leave.

A lot of below par performances from the most of the team IMO

We may have had all the possesion, but I thought we lacked any pace in most of our attacks.

I think...

- Luiz was our best player

- Ivan's mistake's were terrible, real schoolboy stuff

- Hazard is getting some unfair stick from some people, he set up 2 golden chances for Ramires & Mata (it's not his fault they fluffed them) and had a big hand in Luiz's 2nd half chance

- Dave's crossing was shocking

- Torres should be our 2nd choice striker

- Rafa hasn't got a clue how to play matches at home (not scoring in 4 out of 6 proves that)

A lot of below par performances from the most of the team IMO

We may have had all the possesion, but I thought we lacked any pace in most of our attacks.

I think...

- Luiz was our best player

- Ivan's mistake's were terrible, real schoolboy stuff

- Hazard is getting some unfair stick from some people, he set up 2 golden chances for Ramires & Mata (it's not his fault they fluffed them) and had a big hand in Luiz's 2nd half chance

- Dave's crossing was shocking

- Torres should be our 6th choice striker

- Rafa hasn't got a clue how to play matches (not scoring in 4 out of 6 proves that)

Fixed it.

Turnbull – 6. Did everything he could do.

Cole – 6. I'd be far more pissed off if Cole doesn't get a new contract than Lampard. 

Ivanovic - 5. Unfortunate as he's actually been doing well since JT got injured. 

Cahill – 7. Looked very good on the ball, especially.

Dave – 7. We're sorted for RB's for the next 6-7 years now.

Hazard – 7. We should have got him on the ball more in the second half. We looked threatening every time he was running at defenders.

Oscar - 6. He's not a winger.

Luiz – 8. He's making my prediction, that he'd be a liability at DM, look stupid. Hes playing well and justifying his position. Wish he'd improve his shooting from open play though.

Ramires – 6. Had a surprisingly ineffective game.

Torres - 2. A tiny, tiny bit better than the QPR game, but thats only because it was impossible to get worse. Benitez CANNOT keep playing him. He is worse than useless as he takes away from our attacks. We looked twice the team with Ba on. 

Mata – 6. Like Ramires, he was quite poor by his standards. 

Ba – 7. Should be playing every single game.

Sorry to piss on the Luiz bonfire, but I'm less impressed than most with how he played.  I think he exhibits the same strengths and weaknesses as he does when he plays at centre back.  He is great on the ball and very dynamic but he is also very indisciplined positionally.  Last night in the second half he was all over the place, especially after Lamps came on.  He more or less abandoned any idea of playing in a more holding role and was marauding around the pitch.  I don't actually think that helped the team at all.

Cahill is a good player but I am not yet convinced he is top class. I think he has been culpable in a lot of goals that we have conceded this season and he has got off lightly compared to some of Luiz's errors at CB.  I think he ought to have done a lot better against Michu for Swansea's opener.

Oscar was wasted wide right.   He needs to be on the ball and involved more centrally.  Forcing him to stay wide and defend more takes away his strengths.  We would have been better off playing Marin in that system.

Torres was a waste of space.  Why he started only Benitez and Roman know.  Not bringing Ba on until the 80th minute was one of the worst bits of management I've seen in a long time.

Ivan made two howlers.  Even I can't think of a way to blame Benitez for that.  As long as he doesn't repeat those mistakes in the next few games then I'm prepare to overlook them given his past record.  In fact, in the continued absence of JT and Frank, I'd be inclined to make him captain.

Overall, we played well in the first half, less so in the second.  If we decide to play a full eleven from the start then I reckon we have a chance of turning it around.

Sorry to piss on the Luiz bonfire, but I'm less impressed than most with how he played.  I think he exhibits the same strengths and weaknesses as he does when he plays at centre back.  He is great on the ball and very dynamic but he is also very indisciplined positionally.  Last night in the second half he was all over the place, especially after Lamps came on.  He more or less abandoned any idea of playing in a more holding role and was marauding around the pitch.  I don't actually think that helped the team at all.

Cahill is a good player but I am not yet convinced he is top class. I think he has been culpable in a lot of goals that we have conceded this season and he has got off lightly compared to some of Luiz's errors at CB.  I think he ought to have done a lot better against Michu for Swansea's opener.

Oscar was wasted wide right.   He needs to be on the ball and involved more centrally.  Forcing him to stay wide and defend more takes away his strengths.  We would have been better off playing Marin in that system.

Torres was a waste of space.  Why he started only Benitez and Roman know.  Not bringing Ba on until the 80th minute was one of the worst bits of management I've seen in a long time.

Ivan made two howlers.  Even I can't think of a way to blame Benitez for that.  As long as he doesn't repeat those mistakes in the next few games then I'm prepare to overlook them given his past record.  In fact, in the continued absence of JT and Frank, I'd be inclined to make him captain.

Overall, we played well in the first half, less so in the second.  If we decide to play a full eleven from the start then I reckon we have a chance of turning it around.

A little harsh on Luiz i think ES. I remain one of the few who is still very unconvinced about him in midfield but ive got no issue with how he performed last night (apart from his incredibly erratic shooting). He carried the fight and clearly cares.

Totally agree about Cahill and Oscar. I am starting to come around to the fact that Cahill isnt actually that great and with every match its pretty clear its him that is going to make way for JT. He has still been a decent signing though and should remain a squad player. I just think he has played a lot more than everyone (possibly including himself) expected in the past 12 months and now his limitations are there for all to see.

Personally I think Oscar is being misused by interim and he seems to have regressed. A few nice touches last night but overall he was hounded out of it. I wouldn't blame him for starting to wonder what he has got himself into.

One player you didn't mention was Ramires. I thought he was absolutely woeful in every aspect of his play. He was more of a hindrance than Torres and it beggars belief he wasn't removed a the break.

But then, dont start me on interim.

Don't know why people are starting to slam Eden. As said before, he created two amazing chances which should have been scored. Luiz was the best on the pitch. Real shame about Ivan. He looked really upset. 

No-one is really slating him but I will admit I have been a bit critical of Hazard - one or two decent things a game is nowhere near enough. He is fading out of games far too easily and too often. He is still young and finding his way in the PL but some people seem to get a hard-on everytime he just gets the ball! I think he could be brilliant for us and I'm sure in time he will be but he has to start winning games for us like a Messi or Ronaldo to justify some of this adulation.

Last night he wasn't great and even Jason Cundy said today Hazard is one of the players he would looked to have subbed in the second half and Cundy knows his Chelsea!

Turnbull – 6.   First goal, made a blue.  Couldn't do much for the 2nd.  He's not costing us games though, so he's okay in my eyes.

Cole – 6.   Did nothing WRONG persay, but really did nothing too good either.

Ivanovic -    2.  Cost us two goals, but is usually solid as a rock.  Everyone has their poor days.  Must feel like sh*t.

Cahill –    7.5.  Solid as a rock, real gun.  Hope we keep him for the long term.

Dave -    6.  Defensive work is solid, needs to finish on his build up play.  Good buy though!

Hazard –   5.5.  Started looking wicked then slowly faded.  Has all the talent in the world.  Needs to stamp games more.

Oscar - .4.   Is not a winger.  Will never be.  Should be playing DM beside Luiz in my opinion.

Luiz –   8.5. MOTM for us.  Geniune gun, how anyone can dislike him in the midfield is beyond me.  Star in the making.

Ramires –    3.  I do not like Ramires, I never will.  He offers nothing but speed.  I think we should be selling him.

Torres -    I will not grace him with a score because he did not play a minute of football.

Mata –    5.  Failed to have his usual dominance.  Even gods can have an off day.

Ba –     7.5  Offered 10 mins of danger, we looked good with him up front.

Marin -    6.5.  Played well should have been on earlier!

Lamps -    6.  Could have done more, could have done less. Made an effort though and that's why we love him.

Rafa -   2.   Torres should NEVER start.  Stop with the 80min LIKE FOR LIKE subs.  Terrible match day strategist.

Archived