Gascoigne off the wagon again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21311843

Probably some of you hate Gascoigne merely for being an ex-Spurs player. Personally I think he was one of the most talented players to have ever pulled on an England shirt. I hate what he's become as a result of his addictions but nonetheless feel pity that he has given in to them again.

Perhaps the saddest thing of all is that the footballing world never seems to learn as still now very young men are being given unlimited access to shedloads of money along with their newly-acquired fame. And perhaps it's time to put a stop to that.

That's very weird, I was only thinking about Gazza the other day and wondering how he was getting on as I hadn't seen or heard any news about him in ages.

Paul Gascoigne is one of the very few ex-Tottenham players that I like, and I wish him well in his private battles. I really hope he finds the inner strength to overcome his problems, but that's going to be far from easy.

He was an absolutely epic player. sad to see him still battling with alcohol. His mind and sanity seems to have suffered an awful lot as a result of the drink.

can only hope he doesnt go the same way as Best.

That's very weird, I was only thinking about Gazza the other day and wondering how he was getting on as I hadn't seen or heard any news about him in ages.

Paul Gascoigne is one of the very few ex-Tottenham players that I like, and I wish him well in his private battles. I really hope he finds the inner strength to overcome his problems, but that's going to be far from easy.

Despite it all I can't help but like him. I despise wife-beaters (I should do, I married one!), I have no bleeding heart liberalism over addiction but there's a vulnerability in Paul Gascoigne which is endearing. Like you, Bluebeard, I wish him well.

Perhaps the FA should insist that young players receive a decent working wage in their bank account each month and that the rest is placed in trust for when they reach the age of 25.

It makes me wonder too... and this is serious, not sarcasm... would we see the same problems if the high earners in football were female?

Perhaps the FA should insist that young players receive a decent working wage in their bank account each month and that the rest is placed in trust for when they reach the age of 25.

Why? It's not like cases like this are that common. The majority of players don't end up like Gascoigne.

I don't have a whole pile of sympathy for Gascoigne, just like I didn't with George Best. At the end of the day, they've nobody but themselves to blame for how they ended up.

I read about this on the back page of The S*n while waiting for a haircut the other day. It's always sad to see somebody succumb to the disease of addition. I hope he sorts himself out because (despite his many personal flaws) he usually comes across to me as a genuinely good, well-meaning guy. 

It makes me wonder too... and this is serious, not sarcasm... would we see the same problems if the high earners in football were female?

I really don't believe it would make much of a difference. As has been said, the vast majority of players don't end up like Gazza, and you will find female alcoholics/drug addicts in most walks of life (as with men).

Why? It's not like cases like this are that common. The majority of players don't end up like Gascoigne.

I don't have a whole pile of sympathy for Gascoigne, just like I didn't with George Best. At the end of the day, they've nobody but themselves to blame for how they ended up.

Be that as it may, its hardly something they would have chosen for themselves if they could. Alcoholism is a disease and one that needs a lot of attention, time  and care. I suspect with people losing interest / turning their back on him / having little sympathy for him has probably made him worse. 

Also, Lamps on Gazza

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea_ace_hails_troubled_gazza_his_idol_as_friends_help_ex_spurs_and_newcastle_star_get_help_1_1864214

It's always sad to see somebody succumb to the disease of addition. 

What  difference a C makes!  All these malingering mathematicians who have succumbed to the disease of addition!

back on topic - I did feel sorry for George Best and do feel sorry for Paul Gascoigne.  None of us know how well we would cope with having huge sums of money thrown at us  - I'd like a chance to find out, mind you!

What  difference a C makes!  All these malingering mathematicians who have succumbed to the disease of addition!

back on topic - I did feel sorry for George Best and do feel sorry for Paul Gascoigne.  None of us know how well we would cope with having huge sums of money thrown at us  - I'd like a chance to find out, mind you!

Ahh disease of addition.

Certainly divides opinion but that shouldn't subtract from the topic at hand.

On the plus side it isn't as bad overdoing it on the Pi

I uh... just checking you're paying attention. It took you two days to find that little error, maybe somebody's getting a little slack...

For those showing no sympathy, I doubt you (nor do I) have any idea what that level of celebrity would do to you, these days we live in a culture of celebrity however both Gazza & Best became superstars almost overnight and both in the days when the cult of celebrity wasn't what it is today, I would doubt that either had advisors or people looking out for their well being in the same manner that todays players do.

In short I can only hope that Gazza can get the treatment he needs and that he can flush whatever demons he has away, and can move on to live a productive life.

I uh... just checking you're paying attention. It took you two days to find that little error, maybe somebody's getting a little slack...

I promise to try to do better in future! I am most contrite.  

Ally McCoist on Gascoigne:

McCoist's Hope For Gazza

ALLY McCOIST admits he is worried and saddened by the condition of friend and former colleague Paul Gascoigne.

The ex-Gers midfielder has been in the public eye again as he struggles in his battle with alcoholism.

He is being admitted to a rehabilitation facility in a bid to overcome his issues and McCoist is hopeful that he will successfully defeat his demons.

The Rangers boss said: “It really does sadden me and it equally worries me.

“He’s a smashing lad and everyone loved him during his team at Rangers and we obviously all wish him all the very best in his battle.

“It is a long hard battle against the problems and the demons that he faces but he has got support now from people who care about him.

“When you have that you always have a chance so he goes to the States with everybody’s best wishes.

“It’s the biggest battle he’ll have had in his career and in his life so we wish him well with that because he was a smashing boy and a fantastic footballer.

“He was something else, what a player he was. In that period in the club’s history we had Gascoigne and Laudrup who in many people’s eyes were two of the most talented players ever to play with the club.

“I was fortunate enough to play with them and they were two of the best.â€

McCoist has welcomed the idea that supporters will show their backing for one of the club’s greatest ever.

He added: “Our fans have shown this year that they have been a class act, in their support for Sandy for example they have made a wonderful gesture.

“If they do that again on Saturday for Gazza I’m sure it will be well and warmly received.â€

Nearly every male on my mother's side of the family is an alcoholic. My cousin just had a stroke, went into a coma and was taken off of life support a week ago. He was in his mid 50s. His father had suffered the same fate years before. His son has been battling an addiction to alcohol for years and is on the verge of losing a very lucrative teaching job because of it. Anyone who doesn't recognize alcoholism as a genuine disease is not worth having a discussion with. Unlike the stigma associated with many other activities, drinking alcohol is accepted, even celebrated by many cultures in the West. As such, I don't find "well, he shouldn't have started drinking" to be a particularly valid retort. I don't like Gascoigne, but I have sympathy for anyone who's battling the demons that he has. Here's hoping he can use his trials and tribulations to inspire others, a la Paul McGrath, rather than continue to sink in his own hole a la Best. 

Against my better judgment I just watched the video of him at this charity event and I was completely shocked....

He was one of the best of all time and that is no exaggeration, think he was the best player at Italia 90, better even than Baggio and Matthaus and then 6 years later lit up Wembley and again very unlucky not to be a finalist. And the emotion in Italia 90.. wish a few more players would show that passion these days.

I hope he gets through this

You only have to read the first couple of chapters of Gazza's autobiography to gain some insight into what has driven him to drink: Tourette's, a paralysing form of OCD, paranoia, the childhood trauma of seeing two friends killed in accidents. Throw in the absurd level of cult-hero status he achieved in his youth, the drinking culture of his era, horrendous injuries that wrecked his career, the move to Italy, a failed marriage and the public revulsion that followed his exposure as a wife-beater, the breakdown of his relationship with his kids, serious mental illness.....

Getting over an addiction like alcoholism must be hard enough, but if your life is that hard when you are sober, I think you can be forgiven for seeking an escape through drink.

On one hand it's nice he's getting treatment.

The insane press coverage his treatment is getting though is not healthy for him and it's tacky.

I also feel uneasy about the whole "Piers Morgan, Gary Linekar and footballing friends have come through for him". Good they have but surely they could've done this anonymously? Something like this shouldn't be used for PR.

On one hand it's nice he's getting treatment.

The insane press coverage his treatment is getting though is not healthy for him and it's tacky.

I also feel uneasy about the whole "Piers Morgan, Gary Linekar and footballing friends have come through for him". Good they have but surely they could've done this anonymously? Something like this shouldn't be used for PR.

The worst was Ronnie bloody Irani on talksport giving it the 'I'm no hero - anyone in my position would have done the same'. Nevertheless i wish Gazza the best but can't seen this ending well

The most gifted english player I have seen in my lifetime. His love of playing the game shone through everytime he was on the pitch.

Gazza is a simple bloke and I can't help but think that if he had been given a coaching role at a big club he would have maintained daily contact with the game he loved and he would have had a routine and purpose to his days that may have kept him on an even keel in his personal life.

I wish him well but fear the worst.

The most gifted english player I have seen in my lifetime. His love of playing the game shone through everytime he was on the pitch.

Gazza is a simple bloke and I can't help but think that if he had been given a coaching role at a big club he would have maintained daily contact with the game he loved and he would have had a routine and purpose to his days that may have kept him on an even keel in his personal life.

I wish him well but fear the worst.

For all his unique natural talents as a player, I don't think he had any of the attributes to be a coach.

For all his unique natural talents as a player, I don't think he had any of the attributes to be a coach.

And I don't think coach's job gives him anywhere near the emotional satisfaction as playing did. Besides, wasn't he coming off the rails even during his playing career?

Archived