Eden Hazard - Chelsea Legend

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Jose may have stipulated defensive workrate but I'm sure if he was at his best going forward this situation wouldn't be happening, I think he was better defensively and obviously offensively kast season, he's never going to have Willians engine or workrate but he can still do better than he has been, that said I believe we can only have one luxury player in the starting eleven and Fabregas is for some reason the one who is getting off lightly, if we had a Messi, Neymar, or whoever else you mention then it's my belief that Jose would either want them to work the way he wants Eden to or he would have to leave Fabregas out of the team.

Yes you're right. If he was in form he would be starting irrespective of his workrate. Agree with you on the fabregas issue. He un-balances the team imo. Tbh I'm having an unhealthy dose of paranoia about hazard leaving also given we have lost good attackers in recent past (robben, mata, debruyne, salah?) to this issue of workrate. I guess its up to the player to prove the manager wrong on the pitch.

I didn't miss your points. I gave those stats to tell you a simple fact. Under jose I don't expect us to smash team so you saying I expect us to be smashing villa is wrong. As for fan expectations, any football fan who doesn't want is team to play excitingly and score goals is maybe watching the wrong sport? Not saying it would always happen but its what a fan would desire for his club. As for hazard, I state again, I'm not against dropping him because he has offered little to nothing offensively but saying you are dropping because of his defensive contributions?. No, that's wrong

You're making out that we should have beaten them easily though without having to worry about tactics. The stars are irrelevant.

Yes you're right. If he was in form he would be starting irrespective of his workrate. Agree with you on the fabregas issue. He un-balances the team imo. Tbh I'm having an unhealthy dose of paranoia about hazard leaving also given we have lost good attackers in recent past (robben, mata, debruyne, salah?) to this issue of workrate. I guess its up to the player to prove the manager wrong on the pitch.

I'm not sure in Edens case he needs to prove the manager wrong, I'd say he needs to prove him right as Jose (as we all do really) knows Eden can do more, I can understand Eden feeling he needs to get his attacking play back to a decent level but he gets paid to do what the manager asks and Jose really likes players who work hard without the ball, it's ok being tagged as the next Ronaldo Messi or spoken about in the same breath as those players but the only way I can see Eden really being as big an influence on games as those two is if he can be nearly as good as them going forward but better defensively, then that is really some player we'd have there.

You're making out that we should have beaten them easily though without having to worry about tactics. The stars are irrelevant.

Sorry your assumption is wrong. I'm not making out anything, I didn't criticize d win, teamplay, tactics , who started/who didn't. I'm as happy as the next man with the win. I criticized calling out the player publicly like that.

Based on yesterday, doesn't look like he wants to play, maybe a for Jose? Or the club, dunno.

He jogged on after not warming up much, ran around a bit at about 80percent and couple times he could've bombed on and attacked the first defender he didn't, just passed sideways instead. Whatever the reason is ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH is it, no player has a right to be picked and not even do the basic hard work.

His lack of shots and assists is way down too.

Come on Eden, pull your weight or spect to be dropped

1) "To think because we are Cheslea that we should hammer teams like Villa every time ". Jose's record against villa is mediocre. Villa suffered their heaviest defeat against us during ancelotti's league triumph.

2) Since 2004/05, his first and our first Premier

League winning season he oversaw us score

72; 2005/06, 72; 2006/07, 64; 2013/14, 71; and

2014/15, 73; or an average of 70.4 goals a

season as earlier stated or 1.85 goals a game so I didn't really expect smashing but villa are also in a poor form. We were at home, needed to win and score goals (maybe try and cancel out a negative goal difference) so I wasn't expecting our best attacker to be benched cos he couldn't defend.

not much point going back 5/6 years because the league has changed, clubs have adapted and lesser teams have brought in higher quality players. with city's attacking might, i would expect them to beat a team like bournemouth fairly convincingly at home. only yesterday arsenal could have been at least 2 down in the first 45 mins vs watford, but fortunately for them the watford players are sh*te at finishing. 

not much point going back 5/6 years because the league has changed, clubs have adapted and lesser teams have brought in higher quality players. with city's attacking might, i would expect them to beat a team like bournemouth fairly convincingly at home. only yesterday arsenal could have been at least 2 down in the first 45 mins vs watford, but fortunately for them

the watford players are sh*te at finishing.

You said with city attacking might?. They had silva/aguero missing. Bournemouth are better placed on the table than villa. We also have a very goood attacking might (or once had)

Difference is Jose has trusted options in attacking midfield to change things.

We might not agree with those reasons but he's justified why he kept picking Ivanovic in that he feels Baba isn't ready and he feels he needs height at set pieces.

Agree we've not created enough in open play so surely changes are justified no?

Hazard our "star" player hasn't delivered so Jose went for work rate and pragmatism instead and it worked at both ends of the pitch yesterday.

We nullified Villa in attack and stop crosses coming into the area with worrying regularity but also scored two goals from open play, I think for the first time in the league this season?

So maybe Jose got it right yesterday?

Just because baba didn't look ready doesn meant picking ivan is justified, he's the reason for at least half the goals we conceded.. It's very unlikely his replacement would do any worse..

Hazard is not the only 1 who hasn't delivered, the fact most, if not all, attacking players haven't really delivered in attack from open play suggest something wrong with the tactic..They're just clueless..

The goals we scored had a lot to do with outisde factor rather than the so called tactic. guzan, under no real pressure, decided to mess up his kick, then a massive wicked deflection for the 2nd goal, costa didn't even look like he was trying to shoot on goal in that situtaion..

Had it not for luck, jose pragmatism would more than likely see us lose 2 points which is not good enough..

If pragmatism is the only way he can think of getting result then he's testing roman's patience..

A blog? Please not this again. The thread title says Appreciation.

It's been a rough time for the club of late, but we won, let's enjoy that shall we.

I understand perfectly what you're saying. I'm delighted with the win as anyone. But we can only move forward if the manager and players are in sync and of same mindset. Morale is low amongst the players and publicly criticizing hazard would have done his confidence no good. Its now Terry, Matic and Hazard. Not sure this method would work. Hopefully we turn it all around for the positive

Just because baba didn't look ready doesn meant picking ivan is justified, he's the reason for at least half the goals we conceded.. It's very unlikely his replacement would do any worse..

You're preaching to the choir about Ivanovic but just because I don't agree with a decision from Mourinho doesn't mean I won't try to understand it. 

I've said elsewhere that as a rule we lack leadership on the pitch compared to past teams. Ivanovic is one of our most senior and long serving players and perhaps Jose felt that he need that experience and leadership on the pitch to try and help guide us through a rough period. 

Chucking a 21 year old, new to the team and country, into an under-performing side may not have been seen as the best way forward by Jose for the team and the player. 

Hazard is not the only 1 who hasn't delivered, the fact most, if not all, attacking players haven't really delivered in attack from open play suggest something wrong with the tactic..They're just clueless..

I don't think I have once suggested Hazard is the only one under performing in attack but he's been given the benefit of the doubt more so than others. Pedro, Willian and Oscar have all been dropped so far this season as Mourinho looked to find a solution to our attack. 

He dropped Hazard against Villa, justified his reasoning afterwards and it worked. 

To pigeon hole the poor start to the season as something being wrong about the tactics is over simplifying things. 

The goals we scored had a lot to do with outisde factor rather than the so called tactic. guzan, under no real pressure, decided to mess up his kick, then a massive wicked deflection for the 2nd goal, costa didn't even look like he was trying to shoot on goal in that situtaion..

Sometimes in football you make your own luck. 

A lot of goals will start because of a mistake from the opposition side, we were fortunate enough that Villa's mistake was so close to goal but it was still because of the alertness and quick thinking of Willian that he closed down (why him and Pedro were picked to play on the wings) Lescott and was able to capitalise on a poor pass. 

As for Costa's, it was a fantastic lofted ball into the area from Fabregas and once you get the ball in and around the 6 yard line anything can happen and it was through applying pressure on the Villa defence by getting the ball into a dangerous area that the chance was created. 

Had it not for luck, jose pragmatism would more than likely see us lose 2 points which is not good enough..

If pragmatism is the only way he can think of getting result then he's testing roman's patience..

Well we didn't lose lose two points did we? We got three and a clean sheet, a massive improvement on recent results so clearly whatever Jose has worked on during the international break worked. 

We've been poor since the start of the season, we're not overnight going to flourish into slick free-flowing football. We've got to start over, get the basics right and build from there.

It wasn't the best game to watch but it was about getting the job done, building confidence within the squad and pushing on from there. 

As for Roman's patience, if anything he's shown more maturity and patience than ever by taking the unusual step of ensuring a public statement backing Mourinho was issued. 

You're preaching to the choir about Ivanovic but just because I don't agree with a decision from Mourinho doesn't mean I won't try to understand it. 

I've said elsewhere that as a rule we lack leadership on the pitch compared to past teams. Ivanovic is one of our most senior and long serving players and perhaps Jose felt that he need that experience and leadership on the pitch to try and help guide us through a rough period. 

Chucking a 21 year old, new to the team and country, into an under-performing side may not have been seen as the best way forward by Jose for the team and the player. 

I don't think I have once suggested Hazard is the only one under performing in attack but he's been given the benefit of the doubt more so than others. Pedro, Willian and Oscar have all been dropped so far this season as Mourinho looked to find a solution to our attack. 

He dropped Hazard against Villa, justified his reasoning afterwards and it worked. 

To pigeon hole the poor start to the season as something being wrong about the tactics is over simplifying things. 

Sometimes in football you make your own luck. 

A lot of goals will start because of a mistake from the opposition side, we were fortunate enough that Villa's mistake was so close to goal but it was still because of the alertness and quick thinking of Willian that he closed down (why him and Pedro were picked to play on the wings) Lescott and was able to capitalise on a poor pass. 

As for Costa's, it was a fantastic lofted ball into the area from Fabregas and once you get the ball in and around the 6 yard line anything can happen and it was through applying pressure on the Villa defence by getting the ball into a dangerous area that the chance was created. 

Well we didn't lose lose two points did we? We got three and a clean sheet, a massive improvement on recent results so clearly whatever Jose has worked on during the international break worked. 

We've been poor since the start of the season, we're not overnight going to flourish into slick free-flowing football. We've got to start over, get the basics right and build from there.

It wasn't the best game to watch but it was about getting the job done, building confidence within the squad and pushing on from there. 

As for Roman's patience, if anything he's shown more maturity and patience than ever by taking the unusual step of ensuring a public statement backing Mourinho was issued. 

I don't have fancy words to showcase but I'll try to make it simple for ya regarding ivanovic.. If a player being so bad that ends up detrimental to the team then it's simply a case that he had to be replaced,.. It's 8 points for 8 games, that fact shows everything else ya try to sugarcoat his inclusion become moot.. Under what circumstances when we can say jose got it wrong and should be held responsible for his stubborness in regard to ivanovic? must it be like 0 point for 8 games before we can call that one? As soon as ivan's out and a cleansheet achieved so what do ya make out of that?

ya said ya tried to understand his decision but should ya? This is not some video game, each game could prove pivotal, do not mess chelsea season because ya got to revive a lost cause.. Ivan is a lost cause, he's getting old and soon would be out of contract.. 

I have no idea where ya got that pigeon term from but I'll have to use it back on ya for your last statement, victory and clean sheet so the manager's tactic must be right; a case of over simplifying things..  

and Hazard was dropped because of defensive duty (says the manager) which mean he wasn't trying to find solution in attack because like usual he doesn't think that as a problem even tho it is clear as crystal.. That comment just sums up about his trademark style, going for pragmatism and just leave the goals for chances like the 2 goals we scored.. Actually, it's been like that for most part of his 2nd stint with chelsea..

When things don't go right, he got 1 trick and that is to blame the flair players for something that shouldn't be accounted for.. At this rate, we'd go back to the era where we're crying out loud for creativity spark because the flair players would be chased out by the special pragmatism fella.. 

I don't have fancy words to showcase but I'll try to make it simple for ya regarding ivanovic.. If a player being so bad that ends up detrimental to the team then it's simply a case that he had to be replaced,.. It's 8 points for 8 games, that fact shows everything else ya try to sugarcoat his inclusion become moot.. Under what circumstances when we can say jose got it wrong and should be held responsible for his stubborness in regard to ivanovic? must it be like 0 point for 8 games before we can call that one? As soon as ivan's out and a cleansheet achieved so what do ya make out of that?

ya said ya tried to understand his decision but should ya? This is not some video game, each game could prove pivotal, do not mess chelsea season because ya got to revive a lost cause.. Ivan is a lost cause, he's getting old and soon would be out of contract.. 

I have no idea where ya got that pigeon term from but I'll have to use it back on ya for your last statement, victory and clean sheet so the manager's tactic must be right; a case of over simplifying things..  

and Hazard was dropped because of defensive duty (says the manager) which mean he wasn't trying to find solution in attack because like usual he doesn't think that as a problem even tho it is clear as crystal.. That comment just sums up about his trademark style, going for pragmatism and just leave the goals for chances like the 2 goals we scored.. Actually, it's been like that for most part of his 2nd stint with chelsea..

When things don't go right, he got 1 trick and that is to blame the flair players for something that shouldn't be accounted for.. At this rate, we'd go back to the era where we're crying out loud for creativity spark because the flair players would be chased out by the special pragmatism fella.. 

Lol

Actually edit:

^^^word salad

Edited by PedroMendez

Literally the first part of my reply was "You're preaching to the choir about Ivanovic". 

That means I agree he's been a problem, not sure why you're ranting about something I've already acknowledged isn't right? 

But despite me thinking it's wrong I try to look at why a manager as successful as Mourinho thinks differently. 

Did we not win and keep a clean sheet with changes that Mourinho made then? 

Mourinho was first and foremost looking for solutions to our poor team performances and gave an insight into how he feels a player on the wing not fulfilling their duties can impact on the performance of those in the holding role. 

To help boost the performance of two positions (wing and holding midfield) he changed one player and got the results he was looking for (namely a win, clean sheet, better team performance, better defensive work as a unit).

You seem determined to crticise Mourinho despite everything good he has done for the club and that he has made changes in the Villa game that worked to our benefit.  

Sorry let's keep this mature.

On replacing Ivanovic. What players were there to come in? 
Aina a very raw 18 y/o, Zouma or Ramires can cover there in a pinch and Azpi with Baba coming in at LB

Azpi coming in at RB and Baba going in at LB seems the most obvious switch.
But Baba's performance on Saturday was probably worse than what we have seen from Ivanovic, Luckily there wasn't a real threat down villa's right hand side otherwise this could have been exposed also we gave Baba a lot of protection which has seemingly been lacking for Ivanovic.

Yes Ivanovic has been poor but we haven't had an abundance of options also Ivanovic is being very harshly and intensely critiqued making his form seem 10 times worse than it is (not that its been at all good). But I can see why Jose tried so hard to try play him back to form.

On Mourinho and our attacking, our defensive shape created 2 goals so sorting our defensive game also helps our attacking game, and if we are too scared of leaking goals we can't attack with as much conviction.
It also takes a lot longer to regain attacking rhythm than it does to sort out defensive organisation.
I have no worries on this front as I know we will get back to our best.

Why don't we try support our team and our club rather than moaning      

Edited by PedroMendez

Hazard fueling talk that he might go to Real Madrid after "liking" a post on Instagram linking him to Los Blancos

Panic stations! Ahahaha. He's not going anywhere. He just needs to step up to the plate a bit more. I'm hoping to see him start and then subsequently destroy Kiev single-handedly.

If he is going to be as inconsistent and uninterested as he has been so far this season I wouldn't bother too much either if he did go and we got Bale money for him. It's a stick on he will end up there in the near future anyway.

A world class player without a doubt but we have seen how ineffective he can be when not 100% at it.