Best players never to have won a world cup...

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Was watching a Roberto Baggio highlights video today and of course remembered that penalty, and got to thinking who are the best players never to have won a world cup. 

There are probably lots of great great players that never even came close, george weah of the top of my head, and shcmicale, for me the the best goal keeper of all time but in all honesty they where never going to get that close giving their respective countrys, so I'm thinking of players who play for teams that should have been there or there  about's come the semi final/ final stage.

for me the ones that stand out are: 

Roberto (as mentioned)

Gullit & Van Bastan from that dutch out fit that had won the 88 euro's only two years prior.

Begkamp in 98 was top two best players in the world at that point in my opinion. 

I'd include Gaza as i genuinely believe that if England went through against West Germany they beat Argentina in the final 

Paulo Maldini - should have been involved in 2006

A bit before my time you would have to include Platini and Cruyf 

And I'm pretty sure that Messi will be added to that list in years to come.

I wouldn't be inclined to include Ronaldo because he hasn't really had the team around him that would make you think Portugal are a force.

Any others?

If you're just talking about people who came close;

Ballack, dragged one of the weakest German sides in history to the 2002 final, scoring the only goals in their QF/SF games, only to get suspended and his team to get trounced by Ronny, Dinho, Romario & co in the final without him. Then getting knocked out in 2006 in the semi vs Italy with goals in the 118th/120th minute.

Robben, getting his team to the final in 2010 only to lose in the 120th minute, and the semi in 2014 getting knocked out on penalties.

Figo losing in the 2006 semi to a Zidane penalty?

Raul and Hierro getting knocked out by Korea in 2002?

Can't think of anymore from the last 20 or so years.

Not sure it falls in to the category but Jimmy Greaves of course didnt play the final in 66.

There are a few italians so agree with Baggio ... also our own Vialli was suposed to make a big impact in Italia 90 but didn't.... Christian Vieri I always liked too and you could argue Zola.

And didnt Henry miss out on the French squad that won ? or did he get a medal I can't remember.

Edited by andy

Not sure it falls in to the category but Jimmy Greaves of course didnt play the final in 66.

There are a few italians so agree with Baggio ... also our own Vialli was suposed to make a big impact in Italia 90 but didn't.... Christian Vieri I always liked too and you could argue Zola.

And didnt Henry miss out on the French squad that won ? or did he get a medal I can't remember.

Henry played, anelka missed out.

Did greevs get a medal ? Was he invovled in the tornament at all ?

Henry played, anelka missed out.

Did greevs get a medal ? Was he invovled in the tornament at all ?

Don't think Greaves got a medal. Even though he was in the squad and played in earlier games I think the FIFA rule at the time was that only players who played in the final received medals. Think the rule changed at the World Cup in 1970 but might be wrong.

John Charles. He would have won one in 1958, but The Hungarians kicked him out of the tournament just before Wales lost 1-0 to Brazil in the QF. They went on to smash France 5-2 in the SF and Sweden 5-2 in the final, so it seems pretty obvious to me that Wales would have beaten Brazil with a fit John Charles and then gone on to cruise the SF and final, just as Brazil did. :biggrin:

Di Stefano's the absolute first one to have popped into my head, surely the best of the bunch. Cruyff, Platini, Eusebio, Best are other obvious ones, Puskas is one that I'm surprised BlueBeard didn't add.

Will add more later when I can think a bit more clearly...

Di Stefano's the absolute first one to have popped into my head, surely the best of the bunch. Cruyff, Platini, Eusebio, Best are other obvious ones, Puskas is one that I'm surprised BlueBeard didn't add.

Will add more later when I can think a bit more clearly...

Yeah, Puskas is just one of many I overlooked. In my defence I was totally knackered when I made that list :-)

Landon Donovan.....

But seriously:

Clarence Seedorf

Patrick Kluivert

Edgar Davids

Just Fontaine

Delio Onnis (never even played internationally, have no idea why)

Carlos Bianchi

Jean-Pierre Papin

And I guess, for me, Zlatan and maybe Henrik Larsson are in that same category as Cristiano. (Not saying that Larsson is as good as either but I think if he had been born in Germany or Italy, he'd have won one)

All-time XI of players who never won it? Leaving Messi and Ronaldo out of the equation for the moment...

Yashin

Zanetti - Santamaria - Figueroa - Facchetti/Maldini (toss-up)

Rijkaard

Best - Di Stefano - Cruyff

Eusebio - Puskas

Obviously very unbalanced but it was necessary to fit all those attacking players in. Tough to leave Platini out but there's no chance he's getting in ahead of Di Stefano, likewise with van Basten and Eusebio or Puskas. Neeskens for Rijkaard is possible though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cristiano Ronaldo, yeah he's not retired yet but let's face it, he's never going to win it. Portugal are pretty sh*te. :biggrin:

Pavel Nedved is another, he also never won a Champions League.

yeah.. indeed and he lost a huge opportunity to win an Euro Cup in 2004

Ballack, dragged one of the weakest German sides in history to the 2002 final, scoring the only goals in their QF/SF games, only to get suspended and his team to get trounced by Ronny, Dinho, Romario & co in the final without him. Then getting knocked out in 2006 in the semi vs Italy with goals in the 118th/120th minute.

This still hurts. Not only for Ballack, but for others like Lehmann, Frings, etc.

Thanks for bringing up the pain.  :wink: