Breaking down the buses

Zola
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

After Saturday, you can be absolutely sure that many teams in the league will look at that performance and deploy a similar tactic which Sunderland did. No question. Sit back, stick one up front and go only for the counter when the Chels all push up and lose the ball.

Of course many wont be as organised as Sunderland were, and if we get an early goal their game plan goes to sh*t completely and they are drawn out, but I fear we must be actively preparing for more of these dogged teams scrapping it out at home.

We cant complain too much as it got Sunderland the point which they deserved, and Jose has done it himself more often than not in big games.

I just hope there are a few plans in place to combat this effectively.

December is an almighty slog of a month, Jose has to rotate, the problem is the bench is pretty horrendous.

I think the main thing to and it's what we continuously failed to do against Sunderland is to get the ball wide. 

Hazard and Willian kept coming inside and we played so much of the game playing on the edge of the 18 yard line doing sideways passes and getting no where. 

Sometime you just need a bit of gold old fashioned wing play and for your wide players to take on their man, get to the byline and put the ball into the box. With a player like Costa sniffing around that's always going to cause problems. 

Our fullbacks didn't offer us much width either, as solid a defender as Dave is a lot of the time he's going to want to cut back onto his right and it again makes our play narrow... You put Luis on and you instantly have more natural width. 

It may not be pretty and rather simplistic but it's all well and good wanting to play pretty passing triangles into the oppositions box but if it isn't working you need to mix it up a bit. 

Hazard, Willian and Schurrle (and I suppose Salah if he is ever unleashed on the 1st team again) need to occasionally be taking their man on, forcing the play wide and putting the ball into dangerous areas. It's then up to Costa, Oscar and the player on the opposite wing to be following it up into the box and attacking the dangerous spaces. 

I personally think you need to use the width more against these types of teams, playing at a high tempo works too. Just doing 5 yard passes around the oppositions penalty area isn't really going to get you anywhere.

Stretch them out a bit and you will find gaps eventually.

I'm surprised we never tried this against Sunderland. Going down the wings has been great so far for us this season.

Sunderland arent the first team to play against us like that this season and they wont be the last. Some days you will get the bit of luck you need and a goal will go in or the ref will spot one of our players being wrestled to the ground in the box and give us a pen.

We cant win every game.

I think the main thing to and it's what we continuously failed to do against Sunderland is to get the ball wide. 

Hazard and Willian kept coming inside and we played so much of the game playing on the edge of the 18 yard line doing sideways passes and getting no where. 

Sometime you just need a bit of gold old fashioned wing play and for your wide players to take on their man, get to the byline and put the ball into the box. With a player like Costa sniffing around that's always going to cause problems. 

Our fullbacks didn't offer us much width either, as solid a defender as Dave is a lot of the time he's going to want to cut back onto his right and it again makes our play narrow... You put Luis on and you instantly have more natural width. 

It may not be pretty and rather simplistic but it's all well and good wanting to play pretty passing triangles into the oppositions box but if it isn't working you need to mix it up a bit. 

Hazard, Willian and Schurrle (and I suppose Salah if he is ever unleashed on the 1st team again) need to occasionally be taking their man on, forcing the play wide and putting the ball into dangerous areas. It's then up to Costa, Oscar and the player on the opposite wing to be following it up into the box and attacking the dangerous spaces. 

I remember noticing that Schurrle did (or tried to do) exactly that when he came on. He went to the left byline and crossed the ball in, something that was sorely missing in our game before that.

We had an off day. It'll happen to every team, even the best ones. We have the players and the tactics to break down most teams so I really don't think this particular molehill needs to be made into a mountain.

It could become a mountain for us if a lot of the other teams resort to this as a standard tactic against us, very much like west ham last year.

With the relegation battle being so tight, many home fans would forgive their team for playing ultra defensive football against us in the name of survival.

Edited by Zola

It is what it is. Every team will have problems vreaking down an opponenet that has 11 men inside their own box for 90 mins. Everyone knows thats a strategy that has a chance of getting you a point. Im honestly not that worried about it, its the first time we fail to score all season, will probably have a game or two more like this but not that many

It could become a mountain for us if a lot of the other teams resort to this as a standard tactic against us, very much like west ham last year.

With the relegation battle being so tight, many home fans would forgive their team for playing ultra defensive football against us in the name of survival.

Saturday won't have alerted any team to anything new. We had an off-day, we didn't rotate and maybe a bit of complacency crept in. I believe we have the characters in the squad to react positively.

We should park the bus against park the bus tactics lol we are the masters at it when needs must. I don't think many teams in the league are that good (as good as sunderland, anyway) at using the defensive tactic. I think west ham might do that at Chelsea, but this season they seem to be a more offensive minded team from what i've seen of them. However, i think the likes of hull and stoke may TRY to use that tactic, but i don't think they have the same quality to employ them as successfully as teams like sunderland and west ham. sunderland have the likes of o'shea and wes brown who are experienced defenders and that's the advantage for them. I honestly think that sunderland was just a blip in form for us and good tactics from them, but overall i fully expect us to get back to our winning ways again in the following games. 

Edited by enigma

The thing is even last season we were unlucky not to break down certain teams. Against West Ham we created a number of good chances, right up until the final minutes when Lampard had a clean look about 14 yards out but put it wide. People need to accept that sometimes you'll just have an off day and a late kick-off in the north-east is always a candidate for that.

Sunderland didn't really do anything new. The weaker sides are often negative against us. WBA did exactly the same the previous week. Perhaps the fact that more or less than same XI were playing their third game in seven days was a factor too.

The best solution to teams who park the bus is to stretch the play with genuine wide men. I thought we should have brought on Luis, who offers more attacking threat than Azpi, and gone two up front with Drogba and Costa.

Sunderland didn't really do anything new. The weaker sides are often negative against us. WBA did exactly the same the previous week. Perhaps the fact that more or less than same XI were playing their third game in seven days was a factor too.

The best solution to teams who park the bus is to stretch the play with genuine wide men. I thought we should have brought on Luis, who offers more attacking threat than Azpi, and gone two up front with Drogba and Costa.

Definitely this. I don't know why Jose doesn't try this. Sometimes Jose does seem out of ideas against parked bus teams, which to me is odd. Also, he seems to prefer 4-3-3 no matter the opposition's tactics. I think it's good to switch it up every once in a while to keep the opposition manager guessing. 

Yeah I think we needs to play with more width when attacking the bus, we hardly attacked with width against Sunderland and couldn't break them down because they had 11 players in the box and they were pretty comfortable dealing with our central attacks.

Btw, this isn't the second game we struggled to break down parked bus, I mean against WBA at home when they went 10-men and parked the bus we became ineffective and against Schalke at home as well somewhat.

After Saturday, you can be absolutely sure that many teams in the league will look at that performance and deploy a similar tactic which Sunderland did. No question. Sit back, stick one up front and go only for the counter when the Chels all push up and lose the ball.

Of course many wont be as organised as Sunderland were, and if we get an early goal their game plan goes to sh*t completely and they are drawn out, but I fear we must be actively preparing for more of these dogged teams scrapping it out at home.

We cant complain too much as it got Sunderland the point which they deserved, and Jose has done it himself more often than not in big games.

I just hope there are a few plans in place to combat this effectively.

December is an almighty slog of a month, Jose has to rotate, the problem is the bench is pretty horrendous.

Agreed. I worry about our bench. All is fine when its the first 11, but with fatigue, suspensions etc we could find ourselves with a midfield two of Mikel and Ramires (worst case scenario) replacing matic and fabregas. An injury to hazard leaving us with f**king salah or schurrle out wide for example.

Far too many people getting carried away with our start to the season.

The true test starts now.

An injury to hazard leaving us with f**king salah or schurrle out wide for example.

f**king Schurrle came on in the 18th minute of a CL match against PSG for Eden Hazard and scored in a match we won.

Not many teams (and by that I mean none) have direct replacements for their star players. Man City don't have another Aguero tucked away somewhere secret. They clearly don't have another David Silva and we'll have to wait until January to find out if they've got another Toure (spoiler alert - they don't). They'll just be hoping they aren't missing Kompany and Mangala at the same time.

We actually have pretty decent back-ups in most positions. We're flexible in the full-back positions, we have the best sub-keeper in the world, we have a decent young centre-half who seems to be improving game by game and we have players like Ramires, Schurrle and Remy who are all capable of doing a job. The one area of concern is Matic. We have no-one who can do a job if he's suspended, although Ake is a very promising youngster. All teams will have the same issues that we have though.

Far too many people getting carried away with a draw away to Sunderland.

Edited by Blue Daze

I think that's got something to do with him being the best right-back in the league

He is, yes. But when we couldn't break down those festive barcodes because of how narrow we played, it would have been nice to see some width. I seem to remember Moses was always very good at beating his man and driving towards the byline to provide a cross. With Costa lurking in the six yard box I would have fancied us to bag a goal with that type of play.

This is very true, shame Ivan is un-droppable in Mourinho's eyes.

There's no point to replace him, he's doing amazing work. His running is great, he's always dangerous when he's passing the second half of the pitch, he knows how to score and how to assist, he has almost everything.