Radamel "the project" Falcao

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

£30 million/3 year contract

£50 million/5 year contract

£7 million/1 year loan.

One of these things is not like the other, One of these things just doesn't belong.

It's George Weah 2.0.

Very misleading stats because actually for a 1 yr transfer they are not that far apart !

That 7m is just for the 'loan' we still have to pay him don't we ?

I always thought loans were just wages for the 'borrowing' club ?

Very misleading stats because actually for a 1 yr transfer they are not that far apart !

That 7m is just for the 'loan' we still have to pay him don't we ?

I always thought loans were just wages for the 'borrowing' club ?

It's apparently £4 million according to The Guardian so I've edited it. 

Wages will be less than Eden's too so even if we assume they're exactly the same (£200k p/w) then you're talking £10m p/a.

So rounding that up a million for no reason at all, it's £15 million for one season which is £3 million less than Torres cost...every year...for 3 and a bit years.

Or, roughly what we might expect to get from selling Moses, Kakuta and releasing Drogba. Or £6 million more than Filipe Luis cost us last season. Or three-fifths of the increase in sponsorship funds from Yokohama deal.

Edited by Blue Daze

It's apparently £4 million according to The Guardian so I've edited it. 

Wages will be less than Eden's too so even if we assume they're exactly the same (£200k p/w) then you're talking £10m p/a.

So rounding that up a million for no reason at all, it's £15 million for one season which is £3 million less than Torres cost...every year...for 3 and a bit years.

Or, roughly what we might expect to get from selling Moses, Kakuta and releasing Drogba. Or £6 million more than Filipe Luis cost us last season. Or three-fifths of the increase in sponsorship funds from Yokohama deal.

Sorry BD but .... What a load of irrelevant stats. a waste of money is a waste of money (it's NOT relative) 

I admire you're standing up for Falcao, but i'm still feeling this is just another ridiculous big name signing who's past it by us, and until he starts scoring and making a proper contribution i'll not be convinced.

This is going to split the fans as Torres did, i just feel it  :sad:

Sorry BD but .... What a load of irrelevant stats. a waste of money is a waste of money (it's NOT relative) 

I admire you're standing up for Falcao, but i'm still feeling this is just another ridiculous big name signing who's past it by us, and until he starts scoring and making a proper contribution i'll not be convinced.

This is going to split the fans as Torres did, i just feel it  :sad:

He's only a waste if he doesn't perform. 

Honestly, most supporters I know are taking a wait and see approach. If he does well then great and if he doesn't then we cut our losses and reevaluate our options next Summer. As I've said elsewhere, there's a dearth of good options out there so why tie ourselves to someone like Benteke when there's potentially someone better next year? 

The figures were just to put his fee into context. If someone offered you a shot on Falcao in exchange for Victor Moses, Gael Kakuta and Drogba, would you take it because that's potentially what we've got here? I would.

Edited by Blue Daze

This is going to split the fans as Torres did, i just feel it :sad:

Same mate.

This is the feeling I am getting from most.

If someone offered you a shot on Falcao in exchange for Victor Moses, Gael Kakuta and Drogba, would you take it because that's potentially what we've got here? I would.

Yes i probably would, in fact i definitely would.. But alternatively if someone said spend that same money on a young HG prospect i would choose the prospect.

You're right that most think 'suck it and see', although in fairness that was the feeling with Torres, it didn't, and it wont take that long for those opinions to begin to polarize. Falcao doesn't have long as i think we are (generally speaking) once bitten twice shy.

Yes i probably would, in fact i definitely would.. But alternatively if someone said spend that same money on a young HG prospect i would choose the prospect.

You're right that most think 'suck it and see', although in fairness that was the feeling with Torres, it didn't, and it wont take that long for those opinions to begin to polarize. Falcao doesn't have long as i think we are (generally speaking) once bitten twice shy.

True we could go for a Berahino, but we already have Bamford, Solanke and Abraham with Traore not counting as homegrown and also the best HG prospect not being available this summer (Kane).

So IF you were looking to go down that route, you might be best off waiting a year.

Does anyone else think that JM is going to trial some sort of 2 strikers option this season? Costa and Falcao linked up well at Atleti, perhaps Jose has some sort of master formation brewing.

I doubt it, since we won the title at a canter with our 4-2-3-1 formation...but still, would be interesting.

I wouldn't want us changing formation to try to fit Falcao in.

We were impressive last season playing with Costa as the main man and that's how it should stay IMO.

If he joins then he should be used whenever Costa or Remy are not available for whatever reason. He's not good enough just now for us to change our shape or the way we play to benefit him.

Maybe in the cups we could use 2 strikers and see how it goes but not in the EPL for me.

Edited by Chelsbear

Does anyone else think that JM is going to trial some sort of 2 strikers option this season? Costa and Falcao linked up well at Atleti, perhaps Jose has some sort of master formation brewing.

I doubt it, since we won the title at a canter with our 4-2-3-1 formation...but still, would be interesting.

There were a couple of times when we went to a 2 striker system, most notably Stoke at home I think. There's not always a need to play someone like Oscar because teams sit so deep and there's no space for him so Falcao and Costa could comfortably play together. Maybe Jose will look to start games like this rather than wait to make those changes.

It's not going to be a radical difference but more of an evolution on something we did a few times last year.

Or even more radically we could have used the one Jose thought the most ready out of those three and saved 15 million or whatever it is to loan Falcao for a season !!!
Anyway, it seems to be done now so he'll get my support and i'll defend him to the hilt as i would any one of ours. I know it's a cliche but i really do want to be proved wrong.
Love a lively debate, and after all we are all on the same side.  ::ChELSeAFaN::

So True.

There were many who didn't want us to sign Torres and even the few times he did do well and scored crucial goals, couldn't bring themselves to praise him. I don't want Falcao here but will hope he proves me wrong and makes a big difference. 

Of course if he doesn't and turns out to be a repeat of what we has become all too familiar, I will come on this forum giving it LARGE!!!

I like the guy and I believe he still has it in him, but this better not turn out to be like city's two title defences. We've won the league and now we need to prepare for what I think will be a very close title race, we better not rest on our lorals and sign average players while all the teams around us will strengthen

I think for his own development he needs to be the main striker at a club and playing constantly. If the next year turns out okay, Bamford could become a very good Premier League player and maybe an England regular.

I think I agree. He could tear the Premier League up if given enough minutes and I don't want to see him being brought on for us here and there and trying too hard. 

Edited by Blue Daze

Loan fee:                                          =   4,000,000

Salary: 200,000 / weeks * 52 weeks = 10,400,000 (Estimated)

Total:                                                 = 14,400,000   total expense for one year

Too much gamble for the amount of money.

I would  hope we wouldn't give him anywhere near 200k per week.

Give him a uch lower wage and bonuses if he scores or assists.

The Guardian reckon it's going to be around £170k. 

Taking a £100k a week pay cut to join us. 

curious transfer, even though it doesn't come with the risks that it did for united last season or the pressure on him to be a great first choice player.

I wonder if jose is considering using a diamond next season.