Poll: Do you agree with the decision to sack José?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Do you agree with José's sacking?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with José's sacking?

• Yes
    • No

There should be a 'don't know ' button. As I honestly don't know if it is the correct one or not. How much has gone on behind closed doors, was it player power?, did Jose engineer his own demise? Was it purely down to results. We as fans aren't furnished as yet with all the facts.

1) We sold players that Jose refused to use as he has favorites and runs teams into the ground. Having expensive unused assets hanging around being unhappy isn't a good thing.

2) Scolari is the only manager that can have anything to be disappointed about losing players. Jose is toxic at the best of times, AVB had god awful stubborn tactics that he used over and over and over despite not having the squad for it. 

3) Spending is a useless excuse for the scale of this collapse as the collapse exceeds any normal effect of lack of investment. 

4) Player power is part of football and every club. You can't remove 6-8 players every time they lose trust in the manager. It's way more expensive and more destabalising. 

I agree with the first and third point and AVB's stubborn tactics. Although I don't consider Jose to be toxic. Strong willed isn't the same as toxic.

If it were any other manager (aside from the greats) you wouldn't consider replacing 6-8 players. But in the case of the greats and this treacherous bunch of players. It would be expedient to do so.

There should be a 'don't know ' button. As I honestly don't know if it is the correct one or not. How much has gone on behind closed doors, was it player power?, did Jose engineer his own demise? Was it purely down to results. We as fans aren't furnished as yet with all the facts.

So important to ask the questions; we just don't know.

I'm gutted but surprised it didn't happen after the Bournemouth game. Losing away to Leicester is hardly a disgrace at the moment, but losing at home to Bournemouth was really a kick in the teeth.

I still can't decide if its the right decision or not, as my fondness for Mourinho is probably clouding my better judgement. I feel he earned the right to have a mediocre season, but this is NOT mediocrity, its far, far worse.

And while the players have to take a large part of the blame, we all know that the manager carries the can, if it had been any other manager I'd have been calling for his head weeks ago.

Put me down as a don't know.

Great post

That sums it perfectly for me, (along with many others i would wager) my heart too has been ruling my head over these past weeks. 

I voted yes, mainly because I believe the team has stagnated on the pitch since last February and this is in big part due to the approach taken by Jose. There is no initiative, no rotation and no real change in our approach. The teams have adjusted to our system and our game. We have been completely in shambles in the back and completely void of ideas on how to operate in front of goal with an opposition that is waiting for us to come at them.

A manager like Hiddink for this year might be a good short gap solution to solidify the back. Also, Hiddink will be a much tamer figure that will cause less media attention as well (this probably something the club would want).

It was the correct decision. I will always maintain he is a Great short term manager but because of his 'style' will  never be a long term answer

Take out  the emotion but In black & white terms his job is simply to 'manage' footballers or 'staff'..

He is paid incredible amounts of money to to do that & this season has failed miserably to manage his staff correctly & get anywhere near the best from them.

He has been given a reasonable amount of time but has simply not looked capable of turning things round.& maintain decent performances & results..

CFC this season has become a total car crash. Jose is ultimately responsible for that.

If there is discord & he has lost the dressing room. It is down to him. He is not bigger than the club even though by some of his statements he thinks he is!

It is very sad the way it has ended but it is hard to feel too much sympathy for a man with an out of control ego  who will get a multi million pound pay off for what this season could easily be deemed gross mismanagement of his staff.

Edited by blink

It's easy in the heat of the disappointment after yet another sh*t display to say yes, but now it's happened I just don't know.

I'm disgusted with half the squad we have at the moment. It's simply not possible for a team of champions to all mysteriously lose all footballing ability at the same time. They are hugely responsible for this and if it were up to me I'd have the biggest clear out in the clubs history this summer and start again with players who actually care about playing for us, instead of picking up their pay cheques every week.

Listening to Stan Collymore on Talksport tonight which interesting. When the news broke, he said he phoned a senior Chelsea player this afternoon to talk it through. He didn't say who it was.

He said that a big part of the problem was the lack of pre-season. The player said that Jose barley prepared any training or fitness regimes in Pre-season which led to players starting the season unfit and behind other clubs.

The player apparently said that the Eva decision "raised eyebrows" but it wasn't a season breaker - meaning it wasn't a huge issue.

The player was neither complimentary or negative about Jose. They said it was a combination of factors.

Added to that, Demba Ba has come out negatively about Jose's methods being overly demanding and only effective for 2 seasons.

You can re-listen to it on their website. It was interesting.

Why give the man a four year deal in the summer if we were going to get shot of him at the first sign of trouble?

Should have sucked it up and seen it through to its' conclusion. I've learned a lot about this group of players and I don't like what I've seen.

It does beggar belief.

He said that a big part of the problem was the lack of pre-season. The player said that Jose barley prepared any training or fitness regimes in Pre-season which led to players starting the season unfit and behind other clubs.

so....professional footballer totally relies on a manager to keep himself fit during the off-season.....

For those of you that think we had no choice but to sack him, what happens if we end up getting relegated, how would you feel about us sacking him then ?

Hmm, is it me? I think the chance of relegation is greater without him than with him, but that's just me ...

Bad decision.  Only choice?  What limited world some live in.....

Sadly, wont be surprised to see this man lifting the BPL title over his head with MUFC within a few seasons.

United will never employ Jose.

Came here and showed he can mix up an entire squad and deliver success while barely spending net compared to direct rivals.  

From the off was in dispute with some players, and shifted them out.

Now the club is paying about 40million to sack that man in order to keep a squad of players intact who are capable of putting out half a season of relegation performances just after the won the title.

The club will pay nowhere near  £40million, the manager & some players where no longer singing of the same hymn sheet.

Some choice.

The only one unfortunately, what does not kill us make us stronger.

For those of you that think we had no choice but to sack him, what happens if we end up getting relegated, how would you feel about us sacking him then ?

I don't believe that we had no choice (there is always a choice), but if we do end up getting relegated then surely Mourinho would have played a large part in that?

Edited by bluedave

Something that hasn't the been mentioned is that some of the back room staff have also gone with Jose. Rui Faria and the other two have gone. Steve Holland is still there with one or two others.

Be interesting to see who else comes in as assistant manager.

Start our f**king season? Your having a laugh aint ya?

Can't wait to start our season and end the year 10th. 

Better than being relegated.

Chelsea should have stuck with Jose

In the January tranfer window I am sure he would have got a few players in

Roman and the board have cocked up big time.

Alright for you as a fox's fan to state that, we could have been well into relegation trouble by then.

You have no knowledge about Roman Abramovich or his board so keep you unwelcome & uneducated comments to your self.

Why give the man a four year deal in the summer if we were going to get shot of him at the first sign of trouble?

Should have sucked it up and seen it through to its' conclusion. I've learned a lot about this group of players and I don't like what I've seen.

It was far from the first sign of trouble though. I suspect that if it wasn't for his unique relationship with the fans then he probably would have gotten the chop months ago. Edited by bluedave

*sigh*

This situation is exactly the one I was worried about. Namely, the club making what is clearly the right decision but moving ahead of fans opinion leading to another destabilising backlash.

I remember this exact situation at my former local club Perth Glory 10-15 years ago. We had a very popular (with the fans), very charismatic former East Germany national team manager by the name of Bernd Stange.

Previously successful, we were going through a difficult season and the players had lost faith in him with several going to the chairman to complain.

The chairman at the time Nick Tana went to sack Stange but changed his mind after a supporter backlash with fans threatening to boycott Tana's fast food business.

Stange was unfired, then proceeded to continue failing only to be sacked 6-12 months later.

I am absolutely convinced that Mourinho wouldn't have turned things around from here as it was clear he'd lost the dressing room and his presence is doing more harm than good. However, I am deeply worried that the players abd new (probably interim) manager isn't going to get the fan support we need to fix the environment around the club. Chants of Jose Mourinho around Stamford Bridge might feel like a great way to thank Jose for his service, but is likely to create an even more toxic atmosphere towards the players who need our support right now.

The situation is a tough one and I understand why many fans feel upset about their favourite manager being shown the door. But if you are a Chelsea fan (not just a Mourinho fan), then you need to get begin the players. If you are just a Mourinho fan then please get out of the way so the true Chelsea fans can do the right thing by the side.