Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

JMaher94
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

10 hours ago, startedwithglenn said:

What's wrong with having a neutral net spend? Why do you and others have some misguided conception that owning a football club means you are obliged to constantly spend money?

I think it's amazing that Roman pumped his own money in to build the club to the global force and brand that it is today and has turned us into a club that can sustain itself and remain competitive for trophies on a consistent basis. 

Go and ask a Blackburn fan about how a football club looks that competes artificially on the back money being pumped in by a benefactor. It's not a pretty picture if that benefactor suddenly pulls the plug/dies/runs out of money. Roman has built the club to the extent that it is no longer dependant on his money. This is a great thing to be celebrated, not complained about.

Post of the decade. Some people on here act like we have the Venky's or Hicks and Gillett running the club, it's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

He always seems more cautious in the big games. I think that's where he gets it wrong. He should just play his natural games and tactics rather than overthinking and it becoming too nervous about the opposition. 

That's what Wenger tries to do and his team have continuously been on the receiving end of spankings for about six years now. 

6 hours ago, enigma said:

I wonder whether conte will be able to win us a cup this year. Surely his unlucky spell with teams at doing well in cups has to come to an end soon.

The main focus should be the PL and the UCL. I know lots of fans here rank the FA as being as nearly equally important as the PL. But let's face it : unless you're a team like swansea or west ham, these cups are a more or less either a consolation price for not winning the PL, either a cup that could win you a nice double/treble/quadruple or a way to play youngsters or even something to win in order to save a disappointing season... I mean yes it is always good to win it when we can make it a double with the PL or the UCL just like in 2012 for instance. But at the end of the day, what will be better for us? Us retaining the title and going to the semis of the UCL whilst having dropped the FA and the league in the early rounds, or having tried to play every competition and finishing 4th whilst having been knocked out before the QF of the UCL and having lost in both cups? Even if we make a cup double like 2007, I doubt this will be considered a great season if we don't end up in the podium or get knocked out before the semis in the UCL. Obviously, there's risk of not winning anything if you target PL and UCL, but regarding the depth of our squad, I highly doubt we'll be able to play to win these cups without suffering in both the PL and the UCL... 

I know I might get some stick and hate for that. Of course, we've had a great history in the FA cups and league cups, great finals and victories, don't get me wrong. But, considering the evolution of our club and, which is probably the most important reason, the thin margin we have regarding our squad, I won't be blaming Antonio for discarding the FA and League cups in order to retain the PL and try making a huge upset in the UCL a la 2012! 

Edited by Londonisblue

Joey Barton has said that the reason that the Barkley move fell through was because Barkley tried to phone Conte to discuss where he would play etc but Conte's phone was off. Barkley thought that if he can't be bothered to keep his phone on then he obviously doesn't want me. 

I can understand it but sounds abit like it didn't take much for him to change his mind. Just looking for an excuse. 

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

Joey Barton has said that the reason that the Barkley move fell through was because Barkley tried to phone Conte to discuss where he would play etc but Conte's phone was off. Barkley thought that if he can't be bothered to keep his phone on then he obviously doesn't want me. 

I can understand it but sounds abit like it didn't take much for him to change his mind. Just looking for an excuse. 

U would imagine they talked at some point before the deadline day :laugh2:  gotta ::clap2:: Conte if true, bullet dodged imo. 

8 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Exactly, so can we now put other players in his place as he was named in the premier league squad list? Or is it locked?

If I recalled there was a lower tabled team that had the same problem as us and the FA allowed them to revise it. Not sure whether it was last season or the one before. 

Our UCL roster has 1 available slot for a non-HG place also. Make of that what you will

On 03/09/2017 at 12:59, JM7 said:

He always seems more cautious in the big games. I think that's where he gets it wrong. He should just play his natural games and tactics rather than overthinking and it becoming too nervous about the opposition. 

If we have learned anything from mourinho, play tight in big games, flashy teams get impatient and leave their soft underbellies exposed, we did a perfect job at tottenham, the issue last year wasn't being cautious, it was being cautious in that shape, doesn't work when you get pinned back, 3 in the midfield like against the spuds lets us soak up whatever they have, and hit them on the break, we are a counter attacking team, it won us a CL, I don't see any reason to change that especially under an italian coach.