End of Season Ratings

Nibs
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Might as well post this now as the season is pretty much over and if I leave it too late I will be past caring. So while still pissed off and angry at such a poor, abject season, here are my marks out of 10:

Courtois 5/10. Have to say I’m underwhelmed. I was all for letting Cech go and making Courtois our No.1 for the next decade but so far, he hasn’t shown me enough to warrant that backing. Admittedly he has a much poorer defence and DM in front of him than Cech ever did, but still a disappointing season.

Begovic 7/10. Not as good as Courtois on his day but didn’t do a whole lot wrong when called upon. Decent back-up keeper.

Ivanovic 4/10. His days as a full-back have to be a thing of the past. He has been a great servant and is clearly better as a centre-back but if he stays, that would be as back-up.

Azpilicueta 7/10. Mr reliable. Not as reliable as previous seasons but still someone who doesn’t let us down that often but funnily enough he does look better at left-back than at right.

JT 7/10. Had a poor start to the season but once again proved his value by just getting better & better as the season went on. Hope he gets one more season – the place just won’t be the same without him.

Cahill. 6/10. He has had some great games but has equally some bad ones. I like him and was hoping he would take over from JT as skipper one day but unfortunately he will never be that good.

Zouma 7/10. Unfortunate to get injured when everything seemed to be going so well. If he continues to improve at same rate he will be a fixture for seasons to come.

Rahman 5/10. Not over impressed but he didn’t get a real run of games. Still very raw and hard to see where the big price tag came from – jury is out.

Matic 2/10. What happened FFS? Poor beyond belief – so much so that Mikel is now the preferred option.

Mikel 7/10. Proved what a handy squad player he still is. Never great, never spectacular but came in and did a job.

Fabregas 6/10. At times has been a 10/10 but early in the season was closer to a 1/10. Such a classy player on his day but when teams get at him, he struggles big-time and no doubt the reason why Barca were happy to let him go.

Oscar 1/10. Had one, possibly two very good games. The rest was forgettable hence the same old pattern of he plays……he gets subbed………..he gets dropped……….he plays again..and so on…….Time to part ways with Oscar me thinks.

Hazard 2/10. Another case of what happened? Had the world at his feet and the chance to become one of the greatest Chelsea players of all time. I remember arguing with Davey Baby in the early days that he wasn’t as good as Joe Cole. Then feeling sheepish when he was brilliant last season. Now thinking I would take Joe Cole any day. Sad, but looks like another we need to get what we can for.

Pedro 4/10. Showed glimpses of what he has to offer. Unfortunately, bar running about at 100mph, that isn’t a lot. A good player, not a great one – can see why Barca got rid.

Willian 7/10. Most people’s pick of the season – probably rightly so, but as others have been so poor, that’s not an accolade that will mean a lot. He is good, but never seems to be able to kick-on to that next level and still doesn’t look to be enough of a threat.

Kenedy 7/10. Still young with plenty of mistakes in his game but I like what I’ve seen (bar the neck tattoos). Want to see him used further forward – this kid is exciting and has loads of potential.

Traore 7/10. Did well when called upon and hope that between now and the end of the season he can try and establish himself and give the new coach something to think about.

Costa 6/10. Some days I love him. Some days I can see why every other supporter in the land despise him. Clearly our best striker and on his day, great but I won’t be too sad if he moves on the summer.

RLC 5/10. We saw the promise – then it all evaporated. Wasn’t really given a decent chance and was unspectacular when the chance came his way. Hope he now gets some games to show what he can do (or not).

Remy / Falcao / Pato 0/0. Feel a little bad lumping Remy in with the others as I did like hi and always felt he wasn’t getting well treated and did a job when called upon. But this season he has looked as though he doesn’t give a toss and has become Mr Offside. It’s no wonder this season has been the disaster it has when your strike-force contains these three – what a complete f**king shambles.

Mourinho 1/10. I give him the 1 for old times’ sake. Used to love this guy and still can’t believe how he let it all turn so bad so quickly. I have heard the arguments – wasn’t all his fault, the board didn’t back him. Sure, something in that. But this is the self-proclaimed special one we are talking about. Meant to be the best in the business. What happened? Relegation dog-fights clearly not his speciality. Like a once-loved ex, he now means nothing to me.

Hiddink 6/10. Steadied the ship in his own inimitable way. Would have liked to see a bit more in the way of positivity, especially in substitutions in tight games but he could only really work with the squad he inherited and I guess we should be thankful our season is over and we don’t have a relegation battle still on our hands – my poor heart couldn’t take it.

Not sure what next season will bring? Conte? Players I would like to see return – Ake, Baker and Christensen – perhaps one or two others. Roll on next season –it can only be better……….

Oscar as worst player of the season?  I just can't see it.  Obviously a difference of opinion here as this is a subjective ranking, but I would have Eden and Matic as easily the two worst performers of the year.  You're not too far off with them @ 2/10 so it could just be semantics, but I really don't see Oscar having a worse year than the pair.  

I would have Fabregas and Costa as 7/10 and perhaps lower Traore and Kenedy.  Although young and showing promise, they both showed how far away they are from top level football against PSG.  Things were shaky down Kenedy's side and when traore came on for Costa we lost all our attack.  

I pretty much agree with everyone else.  I give Hiddink an 8/10 for getting us out of a relegation battle.  

Courtois - 3 - He's probably had one or two good games all season, far too many mistakes from a goalkeeper who is supposed to be one of the best.

Begovic - 7 - Did all he could against some very poor defending.

Ivanovic - 3 - He's had his worst season in a Chelsea shirt. Playing at RB has been an accident waiting to happen but we persisted with it until we lost CB's to injury. Has improved slightly at CB but he's still making mistakes. I don't see him ever getting back to his best to be honest.

Azpilicueta - 6 - Of all of our defenders, i thought he was peforming the best for the first few months of the season, lately though he has lost his form. Maybe he needs to get used to that RB role again after playing LB for so long.

Rahman - 5 - Half and half really. Hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself but when he has gotten his chance he has looked so-so. Sometimes decent going forward, but also has a lot to learn defensively.

Cahill - 5 - He's been much better of late and is currently our most in form defender, but his start to the season was very poor and his injuries haven't helped.

Terry - 6 - Not his best season, but we always look a lot better with him in the side. Being so unsure of his future can't be helping his concentration levels either. Even at his age he can offer us more than any CB we currently have and club are pathetic by not offering him a new deal.

Zouma - 6 - Was ok next JT, still has a lot to learn though. He tends to lose his man and positional awareness when the ball is in the air. Great at tackling.

Mikel - 6.5 - Done what has been asked of him really. Nothing great, but nothing bad either.

Matic - 1 - Woeful season by Matic, our worst player of the season in my opinion. Can't control the ball, slow, misplaced tackles, losses concetration, gives the ball away, can't cope in tight situations and can't use his right foot at all. The opposition has figured him out and i personally see no way back for him.

Fabregas - 5 - Terrible until Mourinho was sacked, improved after but it was too late really. On his day, he is a brilliant passer, but he has too many ineffective games these days.

Oscar - 3.5 - He just seem's to be going backwards the longer he stays here. I don't think the Premier League suits him to be honest. He has his moments but it's not even close to being enough for me.

Loftus-Cheek - 5 - Not had anywhere near enough time to show what he is capable of. Every time he has started he has looked good though.

Kenedy - 6.5 - Great start to his Chelsea career, i never expected him to get anywhere near the first 11 this season. In the future i hope he is kept away from LB though, that isn't his position and it's showed in recent games.

Hazard - 2.5 - Have we had the right Hazard brother this season ? A terrible season for what is supposed to be one of the best players in the world. Not sure what is up with him but i have a feeling it's more than just a lack of form. He isn't showing the same desire and commitment that he was showing last season. Going forward  don't know what we should do, we can't go into next season with this Hazard that's for sure.

Pedro - 3 - Started well, then went bad for a while, got back into the team and started to look like the Pedro from his Barcelona days, then he got injured again. The effort has been there from Pedro but he look's like he is too eager to impress. He's always running at full pace before getting the ball under control, he needs to relax a bit and just play the game.

Willian - 7.5 - Player of the season, no doubt about it. In the last few weeks he has started to fade though, it's hardly surprising seeing as he has been carrying the team all season and had less time to prepare for the season than anyone else because of the Copa America. A massive improvement on last season. If everyone else shown the commitment he has shown this season then we wouldn't be where we are now.

Traore - 7 - Look's very promising, the best of our younger players coming through in my opinion.

Remy - 2 - Not been his season at all, i expect him to leave.

Falcao - 1 - Waste of time, something 99% of us knew it would be. What i don't get is how so called professionals couldn't see what a mistake it was too, how can us fans know more than the so called experts ? Typical Chelsea signing really.

Costa - 6.5 - Terrible start to the seasons. He was over weight and unprofessional. His form has improved though and he's probably our most inform player right now, it's too late though, we needed him from the start of the season.

Am I the only one who thinks Oscar is worse than Matic this season? Mastic scored a great goal against Everton and has about 2 assist this season but I can't remember any of Oscar's contribution aside from the match against Mk Dons.

Am I the only one who thinks Oscar is worse than Matic this season? Mastic scored a great goal against Everton and has about 2 assist this season but I can't remember any of Oscar's contribution aside from the match against Mk Dons.

Probably.

Oscar hasn't been great but at least he sometimes looks like he can play football.

Matic has been playing like a bum everytime we see him.

The guy is so one footed it's embarrassing. He can't pass, he cant go by players and he can't tackle. It's like playing with 10 men when he is on the pitch this season.

Minor quibble but it always irks me because of how the media twisted it. Mourinho never called himself 'THE' special one - rather he called himself 'A' special one, i.e. one of a group of managers capable of winning things -  not the 'best'  manager around.

Mourinho 1/10. I give him the 1 for old times’ sake. Used to love this guy and still can’t believe how he let it all turn so bad so quickly. I have heard the arguments – wasn’t all his fault, the board didn’t back him. Sure, something in that. But this is the self-proclaimed special one we are talking about. Meant to be the best in the business. What happened? Relegation dog-fights clearly not his speciality. Like a once-loved ex, he now means nothing to me.

Courtois 6

Begovic 7

Ivanovic 5

Dave 7

Rahman 4

Cahill 6

Terry 6

Zouma 8

Mikel 6

Matic 0

Fabregas 0

Oscar 4

Loftus-Cheek 6

Kenedy 6

Hazard 0

Pedro 2

Willian 8

Traore 6

Remy 1

Falcao 1

Costa 0

Sorry certain players get 0 for their performances up to JM being sacked and Hazard since as well.

Although I agree with the point above that the season isn't yet over, I think we can probably separate the squad into the following categories, although context is very important - it is far easier for a youngster to defy expectations based on a few games than an established regular to do the same. Another factor which makes this difficult is the players who showed a huge gulf in performance quality between the José and Guus parts of the season.

I'll probably do a proper score-based post on this when the season is genuinely over.

Performed above expectations

Willian

Zouma

Traoré (not that we have a huge amount to go on)

Kenedy (same as above)

Met expectations

Mikel (arguably in the above category)

Begovic

Azpilicueta (just about)

Rahman

Loftus-Cheek (not that we have a lot to go on)

Pedro

Costa (under Hiddink)

Fabregas (under Hiddink)

Performed below expectations

Terry

Cahill

Ivanovic

Hazard

Oscar

Courtois

Performed far below expectations

Matic

Costa (under José)

Fabregas (under José)

Barely featured

Falcao

Pato

Rémy

Courtois 5 so so season

Begovic 7 good back up should get more minutes

Ivanovic 5 a victim of his own consistency, look poor but improving at cb

Dave 7 one of the best players this season, not like that means much

Rahman 4 couldn't get on the pitch under Mou, shown some good attacking threat but not a good enough defender, yet.

Cahill 6 looked OK but if JT & Happy were fit he wouldn't even be on the pitch

Terry 6 improved as season went on but then got injured. Contract situation may cloud the rest of his season.

Zouma 8 so unlucky. Fingers crossed he's not effected long term.

Miazga 0 I didn't think he'd see much game time when he signed and I was right. Looks good on YouTube though.

Mikel 7 a model of consistency. Yes...really.

Matic 3 poor. Where did the beast go?

Fabregas 6 looked gone until recently. Hopefully there's still life in him yet.

Oscar 4 can't seem to shake the inconsistent performances. Could his time in West London be up this summer?

Loftus-Cheek 5 So much promise but he's made little improvement this season. No one is quite sure who's responsible for that.

Kenedy 6.5 looked good when used but mainly used at LB. Would make a good wing back one day.

Hazard 0 who???

Ramires 6 we couldn't turn down the money but we could really have done with him in the 2nd half of the Season.

Pedro 4 struggled to adapt to the prem. Flashes of brilliance interlaced with mediocrity.

Willian 8 Player of the Season

Traore 6 Uncle Guus has brought him on leaps and bounds. Just the kind of positive we needed after the crap this season.

Remy 1 Didn't realise he still played to us

Falcao 1 £100,000+ per week flushed down the toilet!

Costa 7.5 poor under José, given new life by Guus. Gets extra points for being a Chelsea striker who can find the net.

Papy 0 pointless, literally

Pato 0 I was genuinely excited when he signed. Always trains with a smile on his face but can't seem to find Stamford Bridge.

José 2 sad but he had to go

Hiddink 7 not done anything other than steady the ship. Brings a calm presence to the team and has done well using Traore and Kenedy.

Courtois 5

Begovic 6

Ivanovic 5

Dave 7

Rahman 5

Cahill 6

Terry 6

Zouma 7

Mikel 6

Matic 4

Fabregas 6

Oscar 3

Loftus-Cheek 6

Kenedy 6

Hazard 4

Pedro 5

Willian 8

Traore 7

Remy 1

Falcao 0

Costa 6

Cant argue with any of this. Maybe Hazard lower but the rest is spot on

Although I agree with the point above that the season isn't yet over, I think we can probably separate the squad into the following categories, although context is very important - it is far easier for a youngster to defy expectations based on a few games than an established regular to do the same. Another factor which makes this difficult is the players who showed a huge gulf in performance quality between the José and Guus parts of the season.

I'll probably do a proper score-based post on this when the season is genuinely over.

Performed above expectations

Willian

Zouma

Traoré (not that we have a huge amount to go on)

Kenedy (same as above)

Met expectations

Mikel (arguably in the above category)

Begovic

Azpilicueta (just about)

Rahman

Loftus-Cheek (not that we have a lot to go on)

Pedro

Costa (under Hiddink)

Fabregas (under Hiddink)

Performed below expectations

Terry

Cahill

Ivanovic

Hazard

Oscar

Courtois

Performed far below expectations

Matic

Costa (under José)

Fabregas (under José)

Barely featured

Falcao

Pato

Rémy

I'll agree with this. Probably put Hazard as far below considering he is our best player and pfa champion. Hope he stays and rediscovers his form.

Costa 7

Traore 7

Azpi 7

Zouma 7

Willian 7

Kenedy 7

The rest 0.

The fans 10

How the hell did Costa deserve a 7?

He barely achieves a 7 since JM left let alone over the season.

Sorry i get it now. You missed the minus sign off..... -7 ...Thats better

Anybody giving Falcao more than zero....why?

In fairness, he did score a goal and missed most the season through injury which isnt really his fault. Unlike Hazard and Matic who have played nearly every game and still been garbage