Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

enigma

who else is feeling more skeptical about winning the league as each fixture approaches?

first off i want this thread to be more of a sensible, logical thread than negative. in no way do i feel we can't win the league, but we still have tough fixtures to come and everything has been going swell so far. it feels things are too good at the moment and that the bubble will eventually burst. we have utd away, liverpool away, arsenal at home, man city at home, and a couple of other toughies too. we can realistically drop a few points in upcoming games, and we know how quickly the table can rotate; one minute you're 10 points ahead, next you have your rivals up your ass only 1 or 2 points behind. we have come out of the winter schedule relatively unscathed so far, so that bodes well for sure.

anyway, who else is feeling midly, moderately, or even very skeptical about us winning the league?

which teams would we need to beat for you to feel we got this in the bag? 

I still expect a top 4 finish, that's what I wanted and that's what I will take.

Before I think we can actually do it we would need to beat Arsenal at home and Liverpool away IMO and both of those are not a given.

Liverpool away I think we can afford to draw or even lose, as long as we beat Arsenal.

Liverpool are likely to drop more points than us, as their defence is not very good.

It's Spurs who I think will run us closest. It would be horrendous if we throw it away and let them win it.

At this point anything other than the trophy is a massive disappointment for me.

Not because second or third place wouldn't be a good season as i'm sure almost everyone would have taken that before the season started. But we are in a wonderful position now, our team are loaded with winners who have been in this situation before and know how to handle it. It would be a massive achievement and one we would talk about for ages but i believe we can do it.

The whole dynamic of games changes as the season reaches its conclusion . Games against the top teams bring all sorts of problems but it's the teams at the bottom that defy footballing logic. I hate it when we play teams fighting relegation in the last third of the season by the same token I prefer mid table teams in the last knocking of a season.

You have to get yourself into a position to be able to be a realistic contender and whilst I think it is far too easy to call anything come the last 7-10 games if we are still there or thereabouts we have something that none of the top 6 other than City have and that is the majority of squad having been through a successful run in. 

Teams are learning our game, I haven't met a team that would like to lose. Especially in the PL, winning the league is very difficult, but we've got a very good coach. I can't see him allowing us to lose many points. Everything is in our hands, we've got the tools, got points, now we have to protect it and not give up on this. 

We're in a much better position than we were in say 3 or 4 games agao and thats even after we lost to Spurs.

We've manage to extend our lead to 7 points. We've Pool and Utd away and City and Arsenal at home left of the top 6 clubs to play, its vital that we take at least 6 points from these 4 games IMO, anyting less could be a disaster, anything more is a huge bonus.

Looking at the fixtures that could be tricky outside of them, Burnely away, theyve a fantastic record, Everton away, they always seem to put it up to us on Merseyside.

However, you can only take it one game at a time really so if we beat Hull this weekend we'll be gaining points on City or Spurs, maybe even both if theres a draw.

Utd have Stoke away which is no easy task while Arsenal and Pool have gimmes.

We defintely need a game plan for when teams press us high up the field and don't give us any time on the ball. SPurs did it very well. Liverpool will do it. Others will try. I still feel very nervous when Courtois, Dave and Cahill start trying to play it around on the edge of our box and end up getting into trouble. 

It's a tough one to face, because you either just trust your players to keep possession, which often doesn't work. Or you hit it long, which often means the opposition just get the ball back. I'm not really sure what the natural counter to the high press is... perhaps playing with 2 strikers? So if you hit it long you have more of a chance to hold the ball up and stop their defenders pushung too high up the field to help squeeze the other team back.

I would originally have been more than happy with a top four finish, but having lead for a while with a decent points gap i have to hope and believe winning the title is realistic.

A little hard to believe following last years performance.

Liverpool and Arsenal fixtures will shape the outcome, in my opinion, win them or at least 4 points and i think we can do it,

lose them both and the whole thing is wide open.

At the start of the season, I said top four is a must, anything better is a bonus. It would be dissapointing not to win it, but we have already exceeded my expectations, we have tough games coming up and it won't be easy, but I'm not worried. Given how bad last season was, I don't think any of us would have predicted the run that we have been on, it's been brilliant, from here on what will be will be.

The belief to win the league has been from the start in my case because we're a top quality team who somehow happen to have no midweek european games, it's a dedicated focus..

Sure, in the 1st few games, we barely got the result but even then I was not worried because I always believe once the manager decided to be more offensive, we'd be challenging..

We have decent lead, we may lose points in the future but the same can happen to the other teams so it's looking quite good.. 

2 minutes ago, bola said:

The belief to win the league has been from the start in my case because we're a top quality team who somehow happen to have no midweek european games, it's a dedicated focus..

Sure, in the 1st few games, we barely got the result but even then I was not worried because I always believe once the manager decided to be more offensive, we'd be challenging..

We have decent lead, we may lose points in the future but the same can happen to the other teams so it's looking quite good.. 

I doubt the most optimistic supporter contemplated winning the league this season after last.

I certainly didn't see or hear anyone mention it before August lol.

1 minute ago, Chelsbear said:

I doubt the most optimistic supporter contemplated winning the league this season after last.

I certainly didn't see or hear anyone mention it before August lol.

Depends on how you rate our team and how you see last season... I don't know about you but I think we're 1 of the best teams in europe and at least in the top 2 in england in term of real quality.. Last season for me was never a showcase of our real quality because of simply palpable discord..

Obviously you didn't see us as favorite and maybe you still don't but the question is who was your favorite at the start of the season and who is now? 

To be honest, I didn't think we're hot favorite in august, I actually put us 2nd favorite slightly behind city to win the title but now, a clear numero uno.. 

3 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

Before I think we can actually do it we would need to beat Arsenal at home and Liverpool away IMO and both of those are not a given.

I think we just need to avoid losing those games. 

If we beat either of them then it's a bonus but the way I am looking at it is, if we drew both of those games it's 2 point both sides have failed to gain on us rather than 2 points dropped. 

Sure it might narrow our lead at the top but I think it would still leave us in a very strong position, especially if we continued to beat side outside of the top 6 so convincingly.