13 hours ago, enigma said:

He is 23 and his stats are: 

17/18 season - 35 matches, 12 goals, 3 assists. 

16/17 season - 34 matches, 4 goals, 7 assists. 

15/16 season - 25 matches, 1 goal, 0 assists.

Now, excuse me if those stats don't blow my socks off. He has improved sure, but again, it's taken 3 seasons. Why are we so impatient not to give Mount or RLC that time? 

Compare to Ross Barkley: 

16/17 season - 36 matches, 5 goals, 8 assists

15/16 season - 38 matches, 8 goals, 8 assists

14/15 season - 29 matches, 2 goals, 2 assists

There's not much in it, and also considering Ross was injured for large parts too. 

I agree with you. With the signing of Jorginho I really don’t see an issue with our midfield. Surely money would be better spent on other positions

4 hours ago, Ashleyb66 said:

I agree with you. With the signing of Jorginho I really don’t see an issue with our midfield. Surely money would be better spent on other positions

All i am concerned about is RW, a position i think is possible to improve but the club seem quite reluctant to actually do. I don't think someone like Bailey is unobtainable. We could easily sell Zappacosta and Drinkwater to make some funds. And if we really want to push things and get Martial so we can play him up front, dangle a bit of cash in United's face plus Willian (although it hurts to say it, i hate giving our rivals one of our own players) and it's possible. 

Getting rid of Drinkwater, Pedro, Kalas, Willian, Giroud and Bakayoko for SMS, Pulisic and Martial would still be decent IMO. 
It might set us back two or three players, but with our current squad width that wouldn't necessarily be negative.

I believe we can get something like this for the lot:
Drinkwater £25-30M
Pedro £15-20M
Kalas £5-10M
Willian £65-75M
Giroud £15-20M
Bakayoko £30-40M

Total: £155M +

With just 11 days left it seems rather unlikely that we'll get all of the above sold. We seem reluctant to sell Willian - and Iactually rate Bakayoko, despite his massive errorr against Inter along with his bad performances last year. A few looks set to go on loan as well, but IF (and this is a big if) we manage to get rid of just some of the above mentioned players, I genuinly belive that we'll be able to fit in at least to big money transfers. 

We're probably looking a something like £80-100M for SMS, and rumour has it that Pulisic will be available for around £65M. Potentially Michy could be used as makeweight for this deal - though Dortmund have already bought Plea as their primary striker for next season. Martial seems unlikely as well, but with the Willian-to-United rumour still going on, along with Mou's constant media-stunts regarding - among others - Martial, and his newborn child, he could potentially come in. 

Indeed, it's a major long shot, but my god, it would be lovely with three young talents of that caliber. 

Edited by Hanzen
3 hours ago, Hanzen said:

Getting rid of Drinkwater, Pedro, Kalas, Willian, Giroud and Bakayoko for SMS, Pulisic and Martial would still be decent IMO. 
It might set us back two or three players, but with our current squad width that wouldn't necessarily be negative.

I believe we can get something like this for the lot:
Drinkwater £25-30M
Pedro £15-20M
Kalas £5-10M
Willian £65-75M
Giroud £15-20M
Bakayoko £30-40M

Total: £155M +

With just 11 days left it seems rather unlikely that we'll get all of the above sold. We seem reluctant to sell Willian - and Iactually rate Bakayoko, despite his massive errorr against Inter along with his bad performances last year. A few looks set to go on loan as well, but IF (and this is a big if) we manage to get rid of just some of the above mentioned players, I genuinly belive that we'll be able to fit in at least to big money transfers. 

We're probably looking a something like £80-100M for SMS, and rumour has it that Pulisic will be available for around £65M. Potentially Michy could be used as makeweight for this deal - though Dortmund have already bought Plea as their primary striker for next season. Martial seems unlikely as well, but with the Willian-to-United rumour still going on, along with Mou's constant media-stunts regarding - among others - Martial, and his newborn child, he could potentially come in. 

Indeed, it's a major long shot, but my god, it would be lovely with three young talents of that caliber. 

No chance we make our money back on Drinkwater, Bakayoko and Giroud. 

6 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Who's going to pay that much for Drinkwater, Bakayoko and Giroud? Drinkwater will get us £15m max, Giroud £10m max, Bakayoko......no idea. We would be lucky to sell him at all at the moment.

Selling Pedro and Willian is a crazy idea too. It's one or the other, we can't afford to let both go.

I agree with the Pedro/Willian situation. As I said, I doubt that many of the above will happen. 

I don’t agree with the valuation of the players. Drinkwater is a proven PL-midfielder that played a vital part in a league winning Leicester side. Furthermore he’s homegrown. Perhaps 30M is a bit too high, but 20-25M is definately realistic.

Giroud is a still a great striker, and a starter for the French national team. No way he’ll go for just 10M. 

Bakayoko is difficult. Still young, and a season on loan could be brilliant for him. If he’s sold, I recon we get like 25-30M at least.

10 hours ago, Hanzen said:

Drinkwater is a proven PL-midfielder that played a vital part in a league winning Leicester side. Furthermore he’s homegrown. Perhaps 30M is a bit too high, but 20-25M is definately realistic.

True. What complicates things ever so slightly is that, apparently, we gave him a 100K pw salary... :)

So a middle of the table club in need of a solid CM and ability to spend 30M for one would, indeed, in theory be quite happy with Drinkwater option - but they might not want to pay him 100K. One hopes he will decide that a year of cashing in on the bench is enough and will accept less money.

https://m.calciomercato.com/en/news/exclusive-milinkovic-savic-delayed-lazio-return-to-facilitate-ch-48784

Claims we bid €115m plus musonda! 

Can't believe that for a second. 

I think he would complete our midfield, and we would have a world class midfield for the next 5 years.

I don't believe we would spend over £100m on any player. We have had net spend of £120m over the last 3 seasons, so roughly £40m a year. 

Having already bought jorginho I think we would have to make some significant sales to spend big again this summer. 

53 minutes ago, big blue said:

https://m.calciomercato.com/en/news/exclusive-milinkovic-savic-delayed-lazio-return-to-facilitate-ch-48784

Claims we bid €115m plus musonda! 

Can't believe that for a second. 

I think he would complete our midfield, and we would have a world class midfield for the next 5 years.

I don't believe we would spend over £100m on any player. We have had net spend of £120m over the last 3 seasons, so roughly £40m a year. 

Having already bought jorginho I think we would have to make some significant sales to spend big again this summer. 

Doubt it as well, but well. But he would complete the - possibly - best three-man midfield in the world if he was to come. I think we'll end up with Vecino. Bakayoko will go on loan and Drinkwater will be sold. 

I've also seen somewhere that he is a fan of Real Madrid - and I would really like not to be going through another Courtois-Hazard thing wih them... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2018 at 07:54, enigma said:

He is 23 and his stats are: 

17/18 season - 35 matches, 12 goals, 3 assists. 

16/17 season - 34 matches, 4 goals, 7 assists. 

15/16 season - 25 matches, 1 goal, 0 assists.

Now, excuse me if those stats don't blow my socks off. He has improved sure, but again, it's taken 3 seasons. Why are we so impatient not to give Mount or RLC that time? 

Compare to Ross Barkley: 

16/17 season - 36 matches, 5 goals, 8 assists

15/16 season - 38 matches, 8 goals, 8 assists

14/15 season - 29 matches, 2 goals, 2 assists

There's not much in it, and also considering Ross was injured for large parts too. 

I think that stats alone are not a good way to assess a player and his potential. First of all scoring 12 goals in serie A for a midfielder does not happen often,but most importantly Savic has skills that very few players combine since he is extremely talented technically and a beast phisically. He is very young but he has plenty of room for improvement and while certainly not cheap and not yet tested enough at international level he would be a risk worth taking IMO. If I had to choose to invest 100 milion on him or 80 on a good keeper I would have few doubts on whom to take the risk, but then again I am not paid million to make these decisions :biggrin:

• 1 year later...