Billy Gilmour

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

When thinking about Billy Gilmour it's probably worthwhile remembering that Andres Iniesta was a nobody, subject to the same doubts and criticism, at the same age. Iniesta was used as a utility/squad player by Frank Rjikaard, occupying every position from striker to defensive midfield. At 19 Iniesta was a skilful player and hardworking but yet to display the low centre of gravity and acceleration that became a hallmark of his peak. Gilmour's physical characteristics will improve, probably dramatically, in the next few years. 

14 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

When thinking about Billy Gilmour it's probably worthwhile remembering that Andres Iniesta was a nobody, subject to the same doubts and criticism, at the same age. Iniesta was used as a utility/squad player by Frank Rjikaard, occupying every position from striker to defensive midfield. At 19 Iniesta was a skilful player and hardworking but yet to display the low centre of gravity and acceleration that became a hallmark of his peak. Gilmour's physical characteristics will improve, probably dramatically, in the next few years. 

Good points Syd and can see why a comparison with a young Iniesta is drawn. To me the player he most resembles in style of play is Glen Hoddle. Hoddle's passing ability and vision was sublime. He caressed the ball around the pitch. Gilmour looks to have the same attributes. IMO he is already the best passer of the ball in our squad in terms of his range and accuracy.

On 07/06/2021 at 04:06, SydneyChelsea said:

When thinking about Billy Gilmour it's probably worthwhile remembering that Andres Iniesta was a nobody, subject to the same doubts and criticism, at the same age. Iniesta was used as a utility/squad player by Frank Rjikaard, occupying every position from striker to defensive midfield. 

And on the flip side it also puts into perspective this nonsense theory that his current lack of minutes is ruining his career which couldn't be further from the truth.

On 08/06/2021 at 23:38, Argo said:

And on the flip side it also puts into perspective this nonsense theory that his current lack of minutes is ruining his career which couldn't be further from the truth.

Yeah I keep saying this but you only need to look at the career trajectories of Arsenal's wonderkids to see the effects of physical burnout. 

Even look at guys like Pulisic or Ousmane Dembele - heavy first team football from 17, potentially crocked before the age of 25.

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

One of my biggest hopes  for this season is TT developing him well.

I’m actually looking forward to watching him in this Euros for Scotland. I hope they progress so we get to see him play often. It will be good for his development, and I’m excited about him getting into the team this coming season at Chelsea with Tuchel.

6 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

How on Earth is billy not getting a game for Scotland he is miles ahead of what I’m watching it’s a joke 

This is why if we do send him out on loan we have to he very careful as to where.

As Foden shown staying and learning under a world class coach but not playing as many minutes as you would like isn't the career killer it's portrayed as and it certainly wouldn't be for Billy who's type of player usually lasts till mid 30's anyway.

have you guys seen the reaction online, it seems like the whole of Scotland were demanding that Gilmour plays, but that Clarke has some sort of agenda against him. Saw him in their friendlies and he was absolutely running that midfield in the few minutes he got, easily looked head and shoulders above every one else. 

Tbf that Clarke left out most of their creative players for good old Scottish workmanship, and look where its left them, what an idiot. 

28 minutes ago, Argo said:

This is why if we do send him out on loan we have to he very careful as to where.

As Foden shown staying and learning under a world class coach but not playing as many minutes as you would like isn't the career killer it's portrayed as and it certainly wouldn't be for Billy who's type of player usually lasts till mid 30's anyway.

I agree that if we loan him out, we need to be tedious about where we send him.  I would hate for us to send Billy to Southampton/Sheffield/Norwich or where ever and he sees less than 1000 minutes the entire season. If that's the case keep him here at Chelsea and continue to develop him. Ultimately, it comes down to the player and their mental makeup I would imagine. Some have to have that continuous playing time in order to really improve and have that confidence.

7 hours ago, Argo said:

It’s hit or miss look what going to derby did for mount, but I tend to agree some players leave and find their level at lesser clubs instead of trying to peak under a top coach 

11 hours ago, Oli said:

have you guys seen the reaction online, it seems like the whole of Scotland were demanding that Gilmour plays, but that Clarke has some sort of agenda against him. Saw him in their friendlies and he was absolutely running that midfield in the few minutes he got, easily looked head and shoulders above every one else. 

Tbf that Clarke left out most of their creative players for good old Scottish workmanship, and look where its left them, what an idiot. 

Scotland created plenty, but their finishing was awful against a very weak-looking defense. McGinn is a class player who was just crying out for someone similar to play with him in midfield though, Gilmour would have done that perfectly.

17 hours ago, SFL82 said:

It’s hit or miss look what going to derby did for mount, but I tend to agree some players leave and find their level at lesser clubs instead of trying to peak under a top coach 

Mount played for the perfect manager for him. If we send Billy to play for say Steve Bruce then I genuinely believe a handful of appearances here would trump playing week in week out there.

He has to go to a manager who suits his skillset preferably with a recall clause if they then appoint an unsuitable manager mid season (for example if we send him to Norwich for the purpose of playing under Farke but they then appoint Tony Pulis mid season).

I think that he should start getting more involved in our midfield this season but if he is sent on loan, I wouldn’t mind him going to Brighton under Graham Potter. He’s trying to make them play from the back and in a similar way to us, so I think that Potter would play him.

4 hours ago, Argo said:

Mount played for the perfect manager for him. If we send Billy to play for say Steve Bruce then I genuinely believe a handful of appearances here would trump playing week in week out there.

He has to go to a manager who suits his skillset preferably with a recall clause if they then appoint an unsuitable manager mid season (for example if we send him to Norwich for the purpose of playing under Farke but they then appoint Tony Pulis mid season).

Apparently Southampton wanted Gilmour in January. 

I can think of worse teams to spend a season on loan with. 

9 hours ago, Argo said:

I agree with that better in the first team training with top class players and coach even with limited game time than playing punt it up the pitch under big Sam 

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Would certainly have been among a couple of worthy team-mates:

Chelsea reject Liverpool's Ryan Bertrand bid | Daily Mail Online

Who are the unlikely names to pick up a Champions League medal? | | Express  Digest

15 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I couldn’t think of anything worse than having to spend 6 months in Southampton myself. Young Billy got a lucky escape.