Billy Gilmour

abramovich

55 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I think size will always be an issue for him in England. Mount isn't the kind of physical player I am thinking of. Other bigger players will cause more of an issue.

You may be right, but Hazard wasn’t big and he was not bullied easily. Billy is 5 cm shorter, but the ability to protect the ball and his balance can play an important role in his strength not just size. Hopefully we’ll see how it goes this season.

8 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I think size will always be an issue for him in England. Mount isn't the kind of physical player I am thinking of. Other bigger players will cause more of an issue.

Size doesn’t seem to matter to Messi, Xavi, Maradona, Dennis Wise, Giovinco etc etc. Rice is physically much bigger, who would you rather have? As the Scottish fans chanted at Rice “you’re just a sh*te Billy Gilmour”

47 minutes ago, Wembley67 said:

Size doesn’t seem to matter to Messi, Xavi, Maradona, Dennis Wise, Giovinco etc etc. Rice is physically much bigger, who would you rather have? As the Scottish fans chanted at Rice “you’re just a sh*te Billy Gilmour”

Firstly physical size, strength, and speed does matter in a Premier League midfield. I really don't know what to say to you if you think it doesn't.

Secondly my comments have nothing to do with Rice, I am suggesting that Billy's size will be the key barrier to him being a fixture in the Chelsea midfield. Noone doubts his heart or his ability on the ball, or for that matter his ability to play for Scotland. But he will have to find a way to manage that aspect of the game if he is to be a long term prospect here.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Firstly physical size, strength, and speed does matter in a Premier League midfield. I really don't know what to say to you if you think it doesn't.

To a certain extent but in this country it has got took too far. It's no coincidence that elite continental midfields have the PL's "proper" midfields tripping over themselves, again and again and again.

I really hope we manage Billy well. He looks the type we mismanage because he is not a physical player. Do we have the patience with him? If we are to instill him into the first team he needs a run of games. I feel a loan for a season would be brilliant. I would look at a side like Leeds, Fulham or even maybe a German side. We need him to be in a ball playing side. 

2 hours ago, evissy said:

I really hope we manage Billy well. He looks the type we mismanage because he is not a physical player. Do we have the patience with him? If we are to instill him into the first team he needs a run of games. I feel a loan for a season would be brilliant. I would look at a side like Leeds, Fulham or even maybe a German side. We need him to be in a ball playing side. 

Agreed. The way it played out now is quite fantastic imho: Tuchel could get to know him personally and vice versa (so Billy knows what's expected by first hand experience), he got to play some crucial games - was good at that too - albeit not a lot and still made it to the Euros and even gets to play an important role there. Next season he should be having 20+ games as a starter and he likely won't get that at Chelsea, no matter how high he's rated by the manager, so an intelligent loan could work wonders.

I dont think his size is an issue. Maybe if he was a foreign player adapting it might be a problem. Gilmour has grown up with the physicality of the british game, and to be honest, he looks like the sort of lad who relishes that part aswell. 

Unless their is a perfect loan that becomes available, maybe under Lampard in the prem, where you know he will play regularly at a high level, in a team that like to pass the ball,then i would just keep him here.

Loads of games next season, and i think even with another midfielder coming in, he will get plenty of opportunities. Kamte amd Jorginho arent getting any younger, Kovacic misses games with injuries, and im sure Gilmour has earned some trust with Tuchel now to play a bigger part.

7 hours ago, coco said:

Tested positive for Covid 19, misses Scotland v Croatia, get well soon Billy !

Damn, he'll be disappointed :sad:  Hopefully he'll recover quickly, and not suffer any long lingering effects.

Bit off subject but Chilwell and Mount to self isolate after contact with Billy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57560206

England's Ben Chilwell and Mason Mount have to self-isolate after coming into close contact with Scotland's Billy Gilmour and will miss Tuesday's final Euro 2020 group game against the Czech Republic.

Chilwell and Mount were seen interacting with Gilmour after Friday's goalless draw with Scotland at Wembley.

Gilmour has since tested positive for Covid-19 and will miss Scotland's final group game against Croatia on Tuesday.

42 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Bit off subject but Chilwell and Mount to self isolate after contact with Billy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57560206

England's Ben Chilwell and Mason Mount have to self-isolate after coming into close contact with Scotland's Billy Gilmour and will miss Tuesday's final Euro 2020 group game against the Czech Republic.

Chilwell and Mount were seen interacting with Gilmour after Friday's goalless draw with Scotland at Wembley.

Gilmour has since tested positive for Covid-19 and will miss Scotland's final group game against Croatia on Tuesday.

A high chance that Chilwell won't play a single game in the Euro's now. Southgate is a joke, how has put picked both Shaw and Trippier ahead of Chilwell at LB?

50 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

Chilwell and Mount were both negative but still had to isolate, what??

Because the virus takes up to 10 days to get to a detectable level, so they’ll need to repeat the PCR about five days after playing Scotland.

I hope Billy recovers soon as it was very good for him to be playing these international games. And I hope that both Mason and Chilwell are negative.

Edited by RMH

What I don't get is a couple of weeks back according to the news out of 100,000 flying out of the Algarve only 6 tested positive. How the hell are footballers in what I'm assuming are secure bubbles catching the thing when an average Brit not in bubbles and potentially doing little social distancing not?

1 minute ago, Argo said:

What I don't get is a couple of weeks back according to the news out of 100,000 flying out of the Algarve only 6 tested positive. How the hell are footballers in what I'm assuming are secure bubbles catching the thing when an average Brit not in bubbles and potentially doing little social distancing not?

Its freaking PCR test which is highly unreliable. How the F is someone positive without symptoms. What a scam.

22 minutes ago, RMH said:

Because the virus takes up to 10 days to get to a detectable level, so they’ll need to repeat the PCR about five days after playing Scotland.

I hope Billy recovers soon as it was very good for him to be playing these international games. And I hope that both Mason and Chilwell are negative.

What about the rest of the Scotland team then? They have been close to Gilmour a lot longer than Mount and Chilwell, why ain't they isolating? 

13 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

What about the rest of the Scotland team then? They have been close to Gilmour a lot longer than Mount and Chilwell, why ain't they isolating? 

Good shout.

10 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I think that’s because they are considered the same bubble and their negative tests suggests they haven’t got it unlike Gilmour (most Scottish players will have been close to the source from where Billy picked it up, but haven’t developed it). And most players would not have got it during the match as they are running and not facing each other for long periods of time, while Chilwell and Mount got in close contact with Billy after the game talking face to face for longer. It is very likely that Chilly and Mount won’t have got it, but the English team needS to be cautious to avoid an outbreak.