What do you think of the signings?

Now the season is wrapped up domestically, how happy are you with the signings?

Mendy - 10/10

Our most important signing. A HUGE upgrade over Kepa and if it wasn’t for him, no chance we’d be in CL final and top 4.

Chilwell - 8/10

Best left back at the club since Ashley Cole. While he’s nowhere near Ashley’s level, he is reliable and gives a solid 7/10 every game. The reason I haven’t given him a higher rating is due to his dip in form throughout the winter.

Silva - 9/10

What a player. A Rolls Royce player, his confidence and experience have helped shore up the defence and also got the best out of James and Rudiger.

Ziyech - 6/10

I’m really not a fan of him. Early in the season he was very promising and gave us hope that he’d be as good as Fabregas in terms of finding space and creating goalscoring chances. Over the season he hasn’t really done that. Crucial goals but still underwhelming.

Havertz - 6.5/10

A disappointing season overall really but showed his talent towards the end of season and hopefully he’ll cause City problems. His performance against Real Madrid was fantastic.

Werner - 7/10

I love this guy. I’ve had times where I hated him because of how useless he is in front of goal but you can’t knock his work ethic. He’s always giving 100% despite extremely embarrassing misses like Leeds! All of these misses would put a lot of strikers into their shell but not Werner. I admire the mental strength.

5 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Mendy - 10/10

Our most important signing. A HUGE upgrade over Kepa and if it wasn’t for him, no chance we’d be in CL final and top 4.

Chilwell - 8/10

Best left back at the club since Ashley Cole. While he’s nowhere near Ashley’s level, he is reliable and gives a solid 7/10 every game. The reason I haven’t given him a higher rating is due to his dip in form throughout the winter.

Silva - 9/10

What a player. A Rolls Royce player, his confidence and experience have helped shore up the defence and also got the best out of James and Rudiger.

Ziyech - 6/10

I’m really not a fan of him. Early in the season he was very promising and gave us hope that he’d be as good as Fabregas in terms of finding space and creating goalscoring chances. Over the season he hasn’t really done that. Crucial goals but still underwhelming.

Havertz - 6.5/10

A disappointing season overall really but showed his talent towards the end of season and hopefully he’ll cause City problems. His performance against Real Madrid was fantastic.

Werner - 7/10

I love this guy. I’ve had times where I hated him because of how useless he is in front of goal but you can’t knock his work ethic. He’s always giving 100% despite extremely embarrassing misses like Leeds! All of these misses would put a lot of strikers into their shell but not Werner. I admire the mental strength.

Similar here, though for the hell of it I’m going to predict upgrades next season as follows:

Havertz to 9.5 - next season’s POTY

Werner to 8 - still misses a lot but scores 15 goals in the league

Ziyech to 7.5 - still a bit hot and cold, but has a couple of worldies, with a few more crucial goals and assists vs this season. 

Mendy - 10/10

Imagine if we bought him last season and not Kepa, superb signing.

Chilwell - 7/10

Big upgrade on Alonso and Emerson, hopefully we can get rid of those two and give Chilwell some competition.

Silva - 9/10

Superb leader for the rest of our defenders and a solid defender despite his age.

Ziyech - 5/10

I'm not a fan of him. He seems to struggle with the PL intensity, everything he does looks like it is at 60%-80% effort. Ideally he should be sold this summer, but will probably leave after next season.

Havertz - 6.5/10

Hopefully he can find more consistent form next season after he has had 1 season to adapt. I also hope TT will have more options when it comes to formations, because I would like to see Mount and Havertz in CM/AM, with a proper DM behind them.

Werner - 7/10

Horrible conversion rate ( 3 times worse then a normal/good striker like Lukakau). However, he makes alot of good runs off the ball and manages to create alot of chances for himself and others. He also does a very good job chasing defenders around, forcing mistakes.

8 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Mendy - 10/10

Chilwell - 8/10

Silva - 9/10

Ziyech - 6/10

Havertz - 6.5/10

Werner - 7/10

Pretty spot on I'd say, although Werner's number is mostly driven by sentiment in that he has never given up. In terms of his end product he would score much lower I think.

Ziyech is a bit of an enigma. Overall I would grade him about the same but he has a habit of popping up with some really important goals in the big games. It wouldn't surprised me if he scores on Saturday (if he plays).

Good summing up although Ziyech just isn't good enough or maybe hasn't turned up enough so I'd give him a 4.  Werner was bought to score goals he hasn't done it and I can't seem him turning it around so 4 as well. People might say he puts in a lot of effort but so did I when I put some shelves up in lockdown and they had troubling staying onside as well.

Mendy -   9/10 - much better than Kepa yet odd rare mistake.

Chilwell - 7.5/10 - done well, scored a couple and although very one footed has played largely well.

Silva -     8.5/10 - Largely played well though odd mistake.

Ziyech - 5.5/10 - Does not look like he is hard working though has scored a couple of important goals.

Havertz- 6.5/10 - Up and down over season shown he has potential though not a regular starter.

Werner - 7/10 - Attrocious finishing yet good runs and closing down.

Mendy 9.1/10 Hard to fault, exceeded all expectations

Chilwell 7.2/10 Started off good then turned average

Silva 9.2/10 Absolute class and a real leader, just what we needed

Ziyech 7.2/10 Good when he can be arsed

Havertz 7.2/10 Struggled at first but occasionally very impressive in the second half of the season

Werner 6.6/10 Works hard and usually makes a positive contribution but can't score for sh*t

Mendy 8/10. Has helped transform the team defensively and has made very few mistakes this season. Though I still think we'll try to sign Donnarumma this summer.

Chilwell 6/10. I think he's an upgrade on what we had which is what you want from your new signings. Dipped in form at the midpoint of the season but has grown into the wingback role under Tuchel. 

Silva 7/10. His leadership has been the most useful addition. He's made a few errors this season which is to be expected. 

Ziyech 5/10. Was unlucky to pick up the injury before the season started but he's never got going this season. Flashes of quality drowned out between long spells of mediocrity. Had hoped he'd be a clear upgraded on Willian which he hasn't been. 

Havertz 5/10. Missed quite a lot of games through injury and Covid. He's been picked in about 8 different positions and hasn't excelled in any of them yet. He's clearly got talent but needs to stay fit and put in solid performances consistently. I still don't know exactly who he fits into the team yet. 

Werner 6/10. Thought we were getting a proven goal scorer but apparently not. But his link up play is very impressive and we're a better team when he plays than when he doesn't. Hopeful he continues to grow into the team next season. 

1 hour ago, bluedave said:

Mendy 9.1/10 Hard to fault, exceeded all expectations

Chilwell 7.2/10 Started off good then turned average

Silva 9.2/10 Absolute class and a real leader, just what we needed

Ziyech 7.2/10 Good when he can be arsed

Havertz 7.2/10 Struggled at first but occasionally very impressive in the second half of the season

Werner 6.6/10 Works hard and usually makes a positive contribution but can't score for sh*t

Everyone have their own opinion and I respect that but I don’t understand how Ziyech could have a higher rating than Werner.

IMO Ziyech have been our most disappointing signing considering the age and the skill he possesses. Clearly Ziyech is capable of splitting a defence apart with one pass but we haven’t seen much of that.

Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said, very fair ratings. I'll be honest when I saw the title I did expect more negative feedback purely because of the way some fans have been towards the players in this transitional season.

Mendy- 10/10 

Silva- 8.5/10 very good overall has made some mistakes and at the beginning had a a game or two (wba) where he looked like he struggled with the pace of the prem. The red card harsh nonetheless was managed poorly by him but ofc he's only human. 

Chilwell- 7/10 as mentioned by others the best LB we've had in some time. Still has some improvements to be made as a lwb but who better to show him than Alonso. 

Ziyech- 6/10 probably the hardest one to call. Got injured in pre season after a good showing. Returned and assimilated to the team immediately and for a while we looked like genuine title contenders. He got injured again and never hit the form we saw prior. He's scored some importan goals under Tuchel and while he doesn't always look like a natural fit I think he's had a debut season that's showed promise and something to build on.

Havertz- 6.5 Showed promise throughout the season but has been inconsistent. I suspect he'll be better next season. 

Werner- 7/10 A lot of positives I would say outweigh the negatives. Top mentality and the kind of player I would always want in our club. Here's hoping for a better next season.

All in all I'd say not bad since we added 6 first team players that are all vying to start. They've made two cup finals in their debut season.

Posted (edited)

Mendy 8
Good transfer. The defense gave him a lot of security. I'm waiting to get rid of Kepa since Sarri.

Silva 8.5
Silva's arrival is very important. All Chelsea players have something to learn from his experience. It was seen that he came as a leader. He knew how to organize the defense, and the players around him gained confidence. Now we are talking about Rudiger as being in the top 3 defenders from PL (Rio Ferdinand). I think Silva had his impact.

Chilwell 7.5
Ups and downs, as if it is not fully adapted to the game tactics imposed by Tuchel. I think he has a positive impact in the locker room, always with a smile on his face.

Ziech 6.5
I didn't expect much from him. However, he came from the Dutch championship. He seems to me an emotionally unstable player.

Havertz 7
The most expensive transfer this summer. He was supported in statements by both Frank and Tuchel. He behaved well in a few matches under Tuchel, but I think he is the player who needs the longest period to adapt to PL. I think we'll see Havertz at another level next season. I like his donkeys.

Werner 8.5
He has the face of a sucker child when he speaks. He can miss from any position and can score from any offside. He has moments when he takes the ball that make you think he's learning football in that moment. But, I think it's extraordinary from a tactical point of view. It has a phenomenal speed, tactical intelligence and high work rate. It is very difficult for the opposing defense to reposition itself when he plays. Put pressure on central defenders, create spaces for teammates, assits, etc. If he scored at least 60% of the chances ... Overall, I think Werner helped us the most this season among the newcomers. His first season in PL, I hope he regains the finishing he had in Liepzig. If he does that, he will be an incredible player for us.

Edited by Dragos

12 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Everyone have their own opinion and I respect that but I don’t understand how Ziyech could have a higher rating than Werner.

IMO Ziyech have been our most disappointing signing considering the age and the skill he possesses. Clearly Ziyech is capable of splitting a defence apart with one pass but we haven’t seen much of that.

My ratings are entirely based on my satisfaction with their performances over the whole season. The amount of chances Werner has wasted and his inability to understand the offside rule weigh heavily here. Ziyech has more or less met my expectations, a good squad player with and a dangerous left foot, although somewhat inconsistent, as this type of player tends to be.

1 hour ago, bluedave said:

My ratings are entirely based on my satisfaction with their performances over the whole season. The amount of chances Werner has wasted and his inability to understand the offside rule weigh heavily here. Ziyech has more or less met my expectations, a good squad player with and a dangerous left foot, although somewhat inconsistent, as this type of player tends to be.

I do wonder how many goals Werner would have scored for us if it wasn't for VAR and those infuriating lines. As it is he's such a frustrating player, but I reckon he has been punished harder by VAR than anyone else in the PL

Posted (edited)

While not specifically all about the new players this chart does allow us to compare all our attacking players goal contributions. We can see there minutes compared to the others and how frequently they are involved in a decisive moment.

Just to clarify this is only for the prem.

uG7CNB2.png

Edited by LongtimerLurker

Posted (edited)

I think some of the scores given to some of the players are a bit kind.

Mendy - 9 - Expectations weren't very high, but he's actually turned out to be a very good goalkeeper.

Silva - 9 - The main reason why our defence improved this season.

Chilwell - 7 - Solid, needs to stop having dips at certain points in the season.

Ziyech - 3 - Really disappointing. Started well, but just doesn't look interested most of the time.

Havertz - 4 - Shown flashes of brilliance but can't find a regular spot in the starting 11. Injuries didn't help, but for a so called generational talent, we need him in the first team regularly.

Werner - 5 - Works hard, but his poor finishing has seriously held us back at times this season and cost us many points.

Edited by Scott Harris

Mendy has been good, but it wasn't gonna take much to be an upgrade on Kepa. But it is nice to go into games not worrying about what f**k up the keeper is gonna make.

I was unsure about signing Silva, given his age, but what a player. Imagine if we could have signed him 10 years ago.

Chilwell has had a solid first season. Bit of a dip mid season but I think long term he'll prove to be a fantastic signing.

Ziyech - meh. There's a reason he was playing in the dutch league at 27.

Havertz and Werner strike me as lads that need to rebuild their confidence and get back into a rhythm. I've a feeling if they are going to flourish it'll be elsewhere (may have to be elsewhere for it to happen). But from our point of view we need another striker. We can't afford to be f**king around again for a few years with a mis-firing expensive striker like we did with Torres, hoping he'll come good. With a proper striker we would have won the league in 13/14, and would have avoided the last day drama getting into the top 4 this year.

21 hours ago, TJB said:

Havertz and Werner strike me as lads that need to rebuild their confidence and get back into a rhythm. I've a feeling if they are going to flourish it'll be elsewhere (may have to be elsewhere for it to happen). But from our point of view we need another striker. We can't afford to be f**king around again for a few years with a mis-firing expensive striker like we did with Torres, hoping he'll come good. With a proper striker we would have won the league in 13/14, and would have avoided the last day drama getting into the top 4 this year.

Shows what you know, prat :blush2: