Jules Kounde

Guest Sindre

38 minutes ago, Argo said:

Seems that this is our alternative to Hakimi despite them playing in different positions. For what was going to be a long term axis of Hakimi wing back and Reece RCB will now be Reece wingback and Kounde RCB. With CHO, Azpi and possibly Sterling providing the competition/cover.

Not totally sure what to feel about that, I'm happy with signing Kounde but Reece's talents are wasted as a wingback.

Disagree on Reece. He was brilliant in the CL final and he can be world class as a right back, wing back, CB and CM. He has all the tools to be superb in all of them.

2 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

I have seen a few people mention they would have rather had Varane. I’m not sure. By all accounts, Kounde was loads better in La Liga this past season. To me, Kounde seems to be a more exciting signing with much more upside.

A few years ago I thought Varane would be a great signing but I wasn't overly impressed with him when we faced Real Madrid last season, nor in the Euros for France. That being said he should be an upgrade on CB options for United to partner Maguire.

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Disagree on Reece. He was brilliant in the CL final and he can be world class as a right back, wing back, CB and CM. He has all the tools to be superb in all of them.

I fully agree with all the other positions but wingback I just don't see it, maybe for the odd do or die game for tactical reasons but week by week i just don't see it.

It also limits his freedom to cut inside to the middle of the pitch, like how he did to score THAT goal at Brighton.

This is how I see the 3 French lads signed this window

Konaté - Only played a couple of months of football.  Scouser's think they got Upamecano

Varane - Carried by Sergio Ramos for Years.  Premier League is going to hit him hard!

Koundé -  Carried Sevilla single handedly by himself in defence and attack.  All the pros of a young David Luiz without the flaws. Turn down Spurs, world class already.

1 hour ago, DarkMata said:

This is how I see the 3 French lads signed this window

Konaté - Only played a couple of months of football.  Scouser's think they got Upamecano

Varane - Carried by Sergio Ramos for Years.  Premier League is going to hit him hard!

Koundé -  Carried Sevilla single handedly by himself in defence and attack.  All the pros of a young David Luiz without the flaws. Turn down Spurs, world class already.

Very objective (subjective) view. No Chelsea bias what so ever 😂

Anyway Varane is a top CB. Konate's athleticism will also help him in the Prem. 

But top post anyway. 

49 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I see him competing or replacing 1 or 2 of Azpi, James, Christensen at RCB.

For me less of a position we need to strengthen more seen as getting a potential world class player that is available.

Agree with that, & we are very light at LCB. 

3 hours ago, Argo said:

I fully agree with all the other positions but wingback I just don't see it, maybe for the odd do or die game for tactical reasons but week by week i just don't see it.

It also limits his freedom to cut inside to the middle of the pitch, like how he did to score THAT goal at Brighton.

It only limits him as far as what it allows him to. We have seen Chilwell make runs and be dangerous on the other side, alonso as well.

That is the job of Dave or whoever is RCB, cover Reece allowing him to get forward and express himself, unless we are playing a City or the like in which case more defending is required.

6 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

It only limits him as far as what it allows him to. We have seen Chilwell make runs and be dangerous on the other side, alonso as well.

That is the job of Dave or whoever is RCB, cover Reece allowing him to get forward and express himself, unless we are playing a City or the like in which case more defending is required.

In such a system playing RCB isn't limited, if anything Azpi has produced his best attacking displays from that position (case in point his what felt like an endless stream of assists to Morata).

Reece is another player who likes the halfspace and he will still find himself in many crossing and even shooting position in that role.

1 minute ago, Argo said:

In such a system playing RCB isn't limited, if anything Azpi has produced his best attacking displays from that position (case in point his what felt like an endless stream of assists to Morata).

Reece is another player who likes the halfspace and he will still find himself in many crossing and even shooting position in that role.

Apparently Kounde likes to attack a lot as well. If we get him he may enjoy the system as well.

Hearing the problem is on the price. We dont want to go near the 65mill euro price tag Sevilla have. Could be it is one that goes late in to the window unless Zouma is a make weight.

Have seen it through about we want to pay between 20-25mill euros plus Kurt. Sevilla want more cash apparently.

Apparently going to be about £25+ Zouma. 

So a roughly around the £50m mark which is what Arsenal have just paid for Ben White which would make sense. 

Unusual to see an English club including a player as part of a transfer but perhaps a sign of things to come in a post covid world of football. 

15 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Apparently going to be about £25+ Zouma. 

So a roughly around the £50m mark which is what Arsenal have just paid for Ben White which would make sense. 

Unusual to see an English club including a player as part of a transfer but perhaps a sign of things to come in a post covid world of football. 

That depends on what you consider Kurt's value to be.

Could just be a tactic by Sevilla to raise their price but have seen it said Real are back in for him now and have a need to fill the gaps left by Ramos and Varene.

Think this has the makings of another excellent deal. Just has a good feel to it. Tuchel will find a system that works with the excellent talent pool chelsea is putting together. 

The  wide centre backs in a back three can be a great option to open up the opposition, Conte used to emphasize that, both to get out against a high block and to disrupt a low block. we won’t score from corners as much  

'Rudigier can do the aerial defence. 

13 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

That depends on what you consider Kurt's value to be.

Could just be a tactic by Sevilla to raise their price but have seen it said Real are back in for him now and have a need to fill the gaps left by Ramos and Varene.

If Varane costs £40m in the current market then Zouma is probably somewhere between £20-25m.

I'd be very surprised if anyone was willing to any more than that for him. 

4 hours ago, Gol15 said:

He's a top athlete and I don't think his height is a problem. With him we will be able to play with a back 4 without problems and he's still not even close to his prime. Shorter players have always been the very best anyway...

Cannavaro, Ramos, etc.

28 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

If Varane costs £40m in the current market then Zouma is probably somewhere between £20-25m.

I'd be very surprised if anyone was willing to any more than that for him. 

Same market that Ben White costs 50mill though too.

Trying not to get too excited but, hope this deal goes through. Having another cb competing will just up the levels even more. If we can't improve our attack through signings then we might as well improve what we're already best in the world at.....our def. 

If this puts pressure on Andreas, Toni, Cesar and Thiago this is good. They were already superb under TT and a bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone (well at least not us fans).

My only fear is what another poster said about Madrid being back in for him, I read somewhere Madrid is his dream club and I hope now Ramos and Varane are gone they don't try and snipe this deal.

19 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Trying not to get too excited but, hope this deal goes through. Having another cb competing will just up the levels even more. If we can't improve our attack through signings then we might as well improve what we're already best in the world at.....our def. 

If this puts pressure on Andreas, Toni, Cesar and Thiago this is good. They were already superb under TT and a bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone (well at least not us fans).

My only fear is what another poster said about Madrid being back in for him, I read somewhere Madrid is his dream club and I hope now Ramos and Varane are gone they don't try and snipe this deal.

Madrid are broke & saving up for Mbappe. If he goes there he isn’t starting ahead of Alaba & Militao

32 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Does sound like they are very much in for him.

9 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Madrid are broke & saving up for Mbappe. If he goes there he isn’t starting ahead of Alaba & Militao

Mbappe is a free transfer to them next season. Alaba would move out to LB. He would pair with Militao. 

Madrid also have players they could offer in part exchange too.

Edited by axman2526