Graham Potter (Now Sacked ) - *Official* New (Now Old) Chelsea Manager

coco
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

26 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't trust the insider knowledge coming out of our club. Not long ago we had them saying Rudiger was a bully to the young players and one of the main reasons why Lampard was sacked, something Rudiger and the players denied. Just look at the things Chalobah said about Rudiger when he was on loan at other clubs. If the leaker is the same leaker we have now, then they are a sh*t stirrer.

I have said this a few times now, but there is so much spin going on at the club since Tuchel was sacked. They spin things to justify the crap we see on the pitch every game, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is happening with Tuchel's sacking.

Yeah it’s as clear as day there’s been a concerted effort to pin everything on Tuchel through the usual club mouthpieces.

Just like Moyes at United, the job is too big for Potter at Chelsea. Although I don't recall Moyes' first season was this low. I think it's just a FM myth a manager could just step up a couple of tiers. With all due respect to Potter and Brighton's achievement in recent years, they never had to deal with matters at this level.

Expect the usual response ( or non-response) from Boehly, until he realizes we are in real danger to get relegated. I know it's a joke, but I don't think they realize the gravity of the matter, or even being dragged into relegation battle. If we make a move now , at least we have a bit of room to work with. Let's say we need 5 points out of 5 games, even Big Sam would demand 12M a year, on a 3 years deal.

10 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Just like Moyes at United, the job is too big for Potter at Chelsea. Although I don't recall Moyes' first season was this low. I think it's just a FM myth a manager could just step up a couple of tiers. With all due respect to Potter and Brighton's achievement in recent years, they never had to deal with matters at this level.

Expect the usual response ( or non-response) from Boehly, until he realizes we are in real danger to get relegated. I know it's a joke, but I don't think they realize the gravity of the matter, or even being dragged into relegation battle. If we make a move now , at least we have a bit of room to work with. Let's say we need 5 points out of 5 games, even Big Sam would demand 12M a year, on a 3 years deal.

We won't get relegated even if we don't score again. 35 points will almost certainly be enough and as poor as we are we still have the 3rd best defense in the league, the odds of us not keeping atleast 4 clean sheets in 14 games is next to none, especially if James/Fofana/Chilwell stay fit.

I don't think it's a myth either, Tuchel and Klopp went from Mainz to Dortmund. It's all about if they can adjust their mentality to win every week, which sadly Potter hasn't.

29 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Fair points on most of what you say there I cannot disagree with Scott, but saying the club was not in a mess? Come on mate.

In those months leading up to the takeover we could not sell tickets, the hotel, shop, bars etc were all closed and staff missing out on their jobs. Our club faced the real possibility of being liquidated. So no I guess not a mess, it was a full blown crisis.

Then follow that up with a fire sale and on to the new owners, who leave me a tad concerned as well.

Before the sanctions we were not a mess, just a squad needing a proper refresh. After, huge difference.

Of course we were a mess during the sanctions, but I was referring to before that. I don't believe it for a second, no matter what kind of spin they put on it. 

If the board are still backing him then it’s gone beyond footballing reasons and now it’s probably purely financial because they don’t want to be seen as idiots for paying the release clause and then sacking him so early.

No sure if they have been made away that in order to get money you need to win and we are not doing that at all and I don’t see any instances where this turns around with potter in charge 

17 minutes ago, Argo said:

We won't get relegated even if we don't score again. 35 points will almost certainly be enough and as poor as we are we still have the 3rd best defense in the league, the odds of us not keeping atleast 4 clean sheets in 14 games is next to none, especially if James/Fofana/Chilwell stay fit.

I don't think it's a myth either, Tuchel and Klopp went from Mainz to Dortmund. It's all about if they can adjust their mentality to win every week, which sadly Potter hasn't.

May I recommend putting this in the 'optimistic' thread? I mean 35 points, Potter may just aim for that and over achieve it with a game to spare.

9 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

May I recommend putting this in the 'optimistic' thread? I mean 35 points, Potter may just aim for that and over achieve it with a game to spare.

I'm not saying it's an achievement just pointing out that it is insanely unlikely.

Would take an unprecedented run of results that would need to see us be even worse than Derby 07/08 for the remainder of the season while not only 5 teams overtake us but 3 of the bottom 5 pick up atleast a point a game from here on in.

Would take the most unprecedented set of results in football history.

It's mental that there's actual billionaires, supposed great minds in top level sport, just sitting there and somehow thinking that giving Potter more time is anything other than just GUARANTEEING more failure. In January instead of taking a chance ahead of a pretty favourable run of games (even only 2 or 3 extra wins would leave us with a decent amount of hope of rescuing a decent league position) we chose guaranteed failure instead and now heading into f**king March Chelsea Football Club isn't even assured of its top flight status! How can anyone not want this once in a lifetime bad tenure to end?

If he's not gone before Dortmund we may as well forfeit, save our legs for the relegation battle we're going to willingly drop into.

26 minutes ago, El regreso said:

If the board are still backing him then it’s gone beyond footballing reasons and now it’s probably purely financial because they don’t want to be seen as idiots for paying the release clause and then sacking him so early.

No sure if they have been made away that in order to get money you need to win and we are not doing that at all and I don’t see any instances where this turns around with potter in charge 

They might have a termination clause at the end of the season for a cheaper fee, and given how much we've spent we could be walking on a tightrope financially. Either that or they're stubborn idiots who don't want to admit they're wrong.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

It's mental that there's actual billionaires, supposed great minds in top level sport, just sitting there and somehow thinking that giving Potter more time is anything other than just GUARANTEEING more failure. In January instead of taking a chance ahead of a pretty favourable run of games (even only 2 or 3 extra wins would leave us with a decent amount of hope of rescuing a decent league position) we chose guaranteed failure instead and now heading into f**king March Chelsea Football Club isn't even assured of its top flight status! How can anyone not want this once in a lifetime bad tenure to end?

If he's not gone before Dortmund we may as well forfeit, save our legs for the relegation battle we're going to willingly drop into.

Worth remembering that there have been other prominent billionaires who are also complete idiots as well.

2 minutes ago, Drogba1 said:

They might have a termination clause at the end of the season for a cheaper fee, and given how much we've spent we could be walking on a tightrope financially. Either that or they're stubborn idiots who don't want to admit they're wrong.

Could well be, and so long as we don't go down the savings may be worth it. 

Though I guess it depends how much you believe a new manager makes us CL contenders. Imo we won't win it even if the replacement is Carlo, Klopp or Jose. Don't believe this group has enough goals in them.

1 hour ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Just like Moyes at United, the job is too big for Potter at Chelsea. Although I don't recall Moyes' first season was this low.

United got 64 points (finished 7th) in Moyes' first season. 

We've got 31 points from 24 games. If that rate was to remain the same, we'd finish with 49 points (1 point worse than the 2015/16 season).

1 minute ago, Drogba1 said:

Think he's just being a good professional, he's not going to come out and call Potter sh*te is he

Oh I don't know, he has his future secure, and is the most loved Chelsea player, he could get away with it imo.

Even if he did not, and we reacted, every club in the world would want him. 

12 minutes ago, Jezz said:

We've got 31 points from 24 games. If that rate was to remain the same, we'd finish with 49 points (1 point worse than the 2015/16 season).

When you consider that they won the league by 11 points the previous season I'd say Moyes was pretty awful for United. 7th place with 25 points fewer. If we finish on 49 points ironically that would be exactly 25 points fewer that we achieved last season.

No issue with what James said, you can't be showing signs of not supporting your manager in a post-game interview. Behind the door, maybe a different story for some players.

If Boehly inserted a performance clause in the contract, doubt it could come to play until the end of the season. Damage control until end of the season, although not sure how much more could fans take this, sooner or later even the die-hard will refuse to come to the game if the damage continues. I look forward to Leeds and wonder what else could go wrong, maybe someone will get a red for the one got over ruled on Ziyech.

20 minutes ago, Jezz said:

And that's if you count Tuchel's games as well. When you judge Potter's league games alone, he has 21 points from 18, which averages out to a 44 point season. That's only slightly better than relegation form. Genuinely the worst manager we've had in decades by a mile.

The Arteta comparisons are becoming a stretch now.

First 26 games in all competitions

• Ten Hag (Man Utd) = 19 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses (59 points)
  • Guardiola (Man City) = 15 wins, 6 draws, 5 losses (51 points)
  • Arteta (Arsenal) = 14 wins, 6 draws, 6 losses (48 points)
  • Klopp (Liverpool) = 12 wins, 8 draws, 6 losses (44 points)
  • Conte (Spurs) = 13 wins, 3 draws, 10 losses (42 points)
  • Potter (Chelsea) = 9 wins, 7 draws, 10 losses (34 points)

8 minutes ago, Jezz said:

The Arteta comparisons are becoming a stretch now.

First 26 games in all competitions

• Ten Hag (Man Utd) = 19 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses (59 points)
  • Guardiola (Man City) = 15 wins, 6 draws, 5 losses (51 points)
  • Arteta (Arsenal) = 14 wins, 6 draws, 6 losses (48 points)
  • Klopp (Liverpool) = 12 wins, 8 draws, 6 losses (44 points)
  • Conte (Spurs) = 13 wins, 3 draws, 10 losses (42 points)
  • Potter (Chelsea) = 9 wins, 7 draws, 10 losses (34 points)

That Ten Hag is the real deal ain't he...

5 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

That Ten Hag is the real deal ain't he...

He looks good at the moment for sure. Although lets not forget that Jose won both the EFL Cup and Europa League in his first season at United. 2 factors have greatly helped Ten Hag this season: signing Casemiro who has been superb, and convincing the club to back him over Ronaldo. It also doesn't hurt that Rashford has been in the best form of his career. 

It would be funny if the Glazers finally find the right manager right before they are bought out, and then the new owners decide to make changes and put their own manager in ;).

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

It would be funny if the Glazers finally find the right manager right before they are bought out, and then the new owners decide to make changes and put their own manager in ;).

Where have I heard that story before...it sounds oddly familiar...ah am sure it will come to me....

9 hours ago, Jezz said:

Potter’s ineptness doesn’t absolve Tuchel for the poor performances he displayed at the end of his tenure.

Do you think losing 3-0 to Leeds, or 2-1 to Southampton, or losing to Zagreb where in the post match presser he admitted he had no answers to arresting the slump was acceptable?

There is a difference though. Since then we have signed Enzo, Noni, DD Fofana, Badiashile, Mudryk and got Felix on loan. Tuchel never had that much offensive quality available. Yet we can't score a goal let alone win a game.