Graham Potter (Now Sacked ) - *Official* New (Now Old) Chelsea Manager

coco
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

13 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

ALL OF THIS ABOVE... is my narrative. Please tell me which part of it is wrong

Will a bit later.

But i've seen you try to suggest performances and results were this bad under Tuchel. They never were at any point, even when the club looked like it might go under on top of everything else going on with injuries/divorce/Boehly etc. Thats what he had to deal with so forgive me for not having much sympathy for Potter.

Potter had his own pre-season just before the season restart post WC, apart from Kovacic and Ziyech the rest WC cups came back early. If my memory was correct, we had 45 minutes of decent football against Bouremouth, second half they changed shape and lifted their game and ended up scoreless. Then we had a draw against Forest, and the ordinary runs continued. It's really convenient he left that out, and kept going about the Pre-season 6 months ago. Having a crack at Tuchel to justify Potter's failure is just bizare, despite how awful and Tuchel was, his team finished way above Potter's team, and scored more goals. It must be exhausting to defend Potter, the standard drops from top 4 hopeful to stay away  from relegation battle in about 6 months, and somehow it's OK because the data says it's all part of a process. A process to what, exactly?

There's a few saying that he may as well get the rest of the season if we lose to Dortmund, and whilst I can understand why people may think that, I'm not so sure it's the best idea.

I think the writing may be on the wall now, whether it's in a day, a week, or a few months, he's probably not going to be around all that much longer. So unless we think there's a genuine chance he turns the team's form around, improves morale, and wins over the fans between now and the end of the season, then I don't see why we'd keep him in the job any longer than the time it takes to find a replacement (interim or otherwise).

Say we get a replacement in after the Dortmund game, season more or less dead in the water. We'd be giving them thirteen games that are essentially free hits. They could assess players before the summer window, lay the groundwork for their style of play, and hopefully win some football matches and get fans to look forward to next season.

If the next 15 games mirror our last 16, I dread to think what the morale and atmosphere amongst fans and players will be like.

I don't get why he is comparing himself to Arteta and Klopp. Arsenal were on a decline and had a much worse squad never finished in top 4 for ages. Klopp took over a bad Liverpool side. We have finished in top 4 for last 4 seasons won the CL in 2021. Having 2 wins in 15 games is a form of a team fighting relegation.

1 minute ago, cfr95 said:

There's a few saying that he may as well get the rest of the season if we lose to Dortmund, and whilst I can understand why people may think that, I'm not so sure it's the best idea.

I think the writing may be on the wall now, whether it's in a day, a week, or a few months, he's probably not going to be around all that much longer. So unless we think there's a genuine chance he turns the team's form around, improves morale, and wins over the fans between now and the end of the season, then I don't see why we'd keep him in the job any longer than the time it takes to find a replacement (interim or otherwise).

Say we get a replacement in after the Dortmund game, season more or less dead in the water. We'd be giving them thirteen games that are essentially free hits. They could assess players before the summer window, lay the groundwork for their style of play, and hopefully win some football matches and get fans to look forward to next season.

If the next 15 games mirror our last 16, I dread to think what the morale and atmosphere amongst fans and players will be like.

You're completely right. The only scenario in which letting Potter see out the season makes any sense is if it's considerably cheaper to sack him the very day the season ends. But that's only gonna be the case if there's a very specific clause in his contract for this exact scenario. Otherwise his compensation would only be marginally lower than now, based on the slightly reduced remaining contract duration, a difference easily outdone by the wages saved on an interim manager. With the exception of financial matters that we cannot assess, our team desperately needs an interim manager on every single level right now. 

Unfortunately we are stuck with him they will not sack him and it’s infuriating because we can all see he’s not good enough.

I can also see in the British press they are slowly pulling back on this narrative of giving him time they are slowly walking back I am not hearing this” give him time “ a lot anymore, it’s now how long will they continue and the pressure is building that’s what am hearing now.

Whatever is clubs plan I hope they stick to it. Angry fans can't be a reason to change plans. What would it tell about your plan and your resolve if you always bend under an 'angry mob'...

I really hope we are changing the culture of the club to something different of Roman's era. This is the perfect time to do it. 

If Boehly feels Potter is the man, he is the man and he should be backed by everyone. 

6 minutes ago, evissy said:

If Boehly feels Potter is the man, he is the man and he should be backed by everyone. 

😂😂

Yes, let's really trust the American with zero football experience here! It's going swimmingly.

I do agree we are changing the culture though. We used to be winners, now we are just pathetic little losers that won't even fight back when Spuds try to kick us off the pitch.

Edited by OriginalS

The writings been on the wall since the loss at Newcastle away. For me, he definitely should have been sacked after the Fulham defeat.

Things have gotten worse since then so I can only imagine he’s not been sacked due to money constraints rather than the owners actually thinking he’s the man for the job. It has been noticeable that there’s more noise about him actually being sacked and journalists throwing in caveats about him backed by the owners in the last week or so. 

51 minutes ago, DG19 said:

I don't get why he is comparing himself to Arteta and Klopp. Arsenal were on a decline and had a much worse squad never finished in top 4 for ages. Klopp took over a bad Liverpool side. We have finished in top 4 for last 4 seasons won the CL in 2021. Having 2 wins in 15 games is a form of a team fighting relegation.

Posted this earlier but I'll do it again and expand on it.

First 26 games in all competitions

• Klopp (Liverpool) = 12 wins, 8 draws, 6 losses (44 points)
  • Arteta (Arsenal) = 14 wins, 6 draws, 6 losses (48 points)
  • Potter (Chelsea) = 9 wins, 7 draws, 10 losses (34 points)

Klopp's first 26 games included a 4-match winning streak from games 8-11, and his worst run was no wins in 4 games from games 12-15. After his 26th game, Liverpool had won 5 of their last 15 matches in all competitions. Within those first 26 games, 15 of those were PL games. Klopp's PL record at this point was 6 wins, 4 draws, 5 losses (22 points in 15 games).

Arteta's first 26 games included a 4-match winning streak from games 18-21, and his worst run was no wins in 3 from games 5-7. After his 26th game, Arsenal had won 9 of their last 15 matches in all competitions. Within those first 26 games, 19 of those were PL games. Arteta's PL record at this point was 8 wins, 6 draws, 5 losses (30 points in 19 games).

Potter's first 26 games included a 5-match winning streak from games 2-6, and his worst run is no wins in 6 from games 21-26. Chelsea have won 2 of their last 15 matches in all competitions. Within those first 26 games, 18 of those are PL games. Potter's PL record at this point is 5 wins, 6 draws, 7 losses (21 points in 18 games).

Unfortunately for Potter, he's not reaching the same heights statistically as Klopp and Arteta were at the same point of their tenures.

Edited by Jezz

I must be in the minority when I say I want him to stay and prove himself.

He's an intelligent manager, who is in an impossible job. Trying to fit all these square peg players into round holes, new owners buying up every player they've seen a Youtube highlights video for, and rabid fans frothing at the mouth (some of the fans reactions i've seen on here and on Twitter are alarmingly pathetic).  Potter probably should have thought a bit more before accepting the job in the first place, I'll admit, as it was never going to be easy.

It will be very interesting to see how much longer Boehly and co are patient for though...

Context is important. Injuries to key players, no preseason, upheaval of the club with new ownership, tough fixtures during difficult moments in the cups. Look at Utd, they've had the ideal scenario with Ten Hag. Full preseason, the right signings, rashford in form, kind fixtures in the cup before the final. I would have expected us to reach the final too if we had been gifted those fixtures.

Not saying Potter can be excused but there are big things out of his control that would have hindered other coaches if they were in his position. I genuinely think Tuchel would have struggled too had he stayed, given the circumstances.

The league is also tougher this season. Look at Liverpool and Tottenham, they have both dropped plenty of points despite having long term coaches in charge. I also think Potter may not be right, especially given our circumstances this season which haven't been ideal whatsoever. 

Edited by enigma

9 minutes ago, Jezz said:

Posted this earlier but I'll do it again and expand on it.

First 26 games in all competitions

• Klopp (Liverpool) = 12 wins, 8 draws, 6 losses (44 points)
  • Arteta (Arsenal) = 14 wins, 6 draws, 6 losses (48 points)
  • Potter (Chelsea) = 9 wins, 7 draws, 10 losses (34 points)

Klopp's first 26 games included a 4-match winning streak from games 8-11, and his worst run was no wins in 4 games from games 12-15. After his 26th game, Liverpool had won 5 of their last 15 matches in all competitions. Within those first 26 games, 15 of those were PL games. Klopp's PL record at this point was 6 wins, 4 draws, 5 losses (22 points in 15 games).

Arteta's first 26 games included a 4-match winning streak from games 18-21, and his worst run was no wins in 3 from games 5-7. After his 26th game, Arsenal had won 9 of their last 15 matches in all competitions. Within those first 26 games, 19 of those were PL games. Arteta's PL record at this point was 8 wins, 6 draws, 5 losses (30 points in 19 games).

Potter's first 26 games included a 5-match winning streak from games 2-6, and his worst run is no wins in 6 from games 21-26. Chelsea have won 2 of their last 15 matches in all competitions. Within those first 26 games, 18 of those are PL games. Potter's PL record at this point is 5 wins, 6 draws, 7 losses (21 points in 18 games).

Unfortunately for Potter, he's not reaching the same heights statistically as Klopp and Arteta were at the same point of their tenures.

But again, context. Take out a couple of Arsenal or Liverpool's best players during that time and see if that remained the same. Injuries for us have been massive this season and has resulted in Potter not having a truly settled team like he did at Brighton. Having a settled team is a big thing. 

3 minutes ago, enigma said:

But again, context. Take out a couple of Arsenal or Liverpool's best players during that time and see if that remained the same. Injuries for us have been massive this season and has resulted in Potter not having a truly settled team like he did at Brighton. Having a settled team is a big thing. 

Jurgen Klopp's first Liverpool line-up had Mignolet, Moreno ...

Klopp's first lineup. He took over an incredibly sh*t squad.
Same goes for Arteta at Arsenal.

12 minutes ago, evissy said:

Whatever is clubs plan I hope they stick to it. Angry fans can't be a reason to change plans. What would it tell about your plan and your resolve if you always bend under an 'angry mob'...

I really hope we are changing the culture of the club to something different of Roman's era. This is the perfect time to do it. 

I like pretty much all of those toughts, I worry none of them quite add up in the current situation. 

Boehly can't change his plan because of angry fans: I agree completely. I believe Boehly should change his plan because it's a bad plan. 

We've been needing a culture change in the club for a long time: This is a contentious issue among fans, but I for one agree. Cultivating stability, trust in the manager and scepticism towards dressing room power could very much benefit our squad. I also believe that Potter has a very suitable character for these objective. But sadly his level-headedness is all his level-headedness is all he has to offer at this point. Stability and charisma/authority/innovation are not mutually exclusive, other clubs have managed to hold on to characters like Pep, Klopp or Arteta for many years. Since we currently have the least capable manager in our club's history, it's not the perfect but the worst possible time to favour stability. For me it goes stable quality > fluctuating quality > stable lack of quality

If Boehly is convinced, we should back him: This is where you lose me entirely. As a fan I will back anyone who does good work for my club. 

August 2022: Spend £300m on new players, sack manager after 6 league games.

January 2023: Spend £300m on players, sack manager after 4 league games.

August 2023: Spend £300m on players, sack manager after 2 games.

12 minutes ago, coco said:

August 2022: Spend £300m on new players, sack manager after 6 league games.

January 2023: Spend £300m on players, sack manager after 4 league games.

August 2023: Spend £300m on players, sack manager after 2 games.

If they are sh*t just sack them

there are always potentially good managers out there, they will never run out of managers to sack