Poch In or Out? (Feb 24)

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Poch In or Out (Feb 24)  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Poch In or Out now? (Feb 24)

• Poch In?
    • Poch Out?
    • Poch shake it all about? (I'm on the fence)

20 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Oh I know Bayern are interested, I meant a lot of the fanbase doesn't consider him good enough for Chelsea (judging from Twitter at least)

In order of preference

Xabi Alonso (no way he comes here)

De Zerbi (probably going to Bayern)

Tuchel (unlikely)

Amorim 

Thiago Motta (Bologna)

Hoeneß  (Stuttgart)

10 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

The only issue, which is a glaring one, is that his football makes our wingers redundant. 

If he only want to play specific system then he should not be on the list. 

Am I the only poster here who still thinks we should stick with Pochettino?

There's been a lot of frustration through the course of the season which I can understand, but I keep thinking that given the young age and inexperience of our squad, results and performances were always going to be wildly inconsistent no matter who the coach was.

I don't think sacking him and moving on to the next coach will significantly improve us. I don't think there's a quick fix solution to our current problems.

I think Pochettino has done well in cup competitions, so he deserves some credit there. I was hoping for a top 6 finish at the start of the season so the fact that hasn't materialised yet is disappointing. I still think 6th or 7th is attainable if we can finish the season off strongly rather than being perpetually stuck in 10th or 11th.

Just my two cents on the situation. I know a lot will disagree.

7 hours ago, Drogba1 said:

Oh I know Bayern are interested, I meant a lot of the fanbase doesn't consider him good enough for Chelsea (judging from Twitter at least)

I'll admit that I have a nagging suspicion that he has an element of Conte about him in attitude if things don't go his way. If the board allegedly had issues with the way Tuchel acted behind the scenes, I feel this guy could be just as inflammable. 

I also don't like the way he has been talking now around these rumours. Stating publicly that you haven't decided on your next step yet and that you want clarity from your own board is both conceited and disrespectful towards his current employer.

Finally, whilst I don't doubt that tactically he is far better than what we currently have, I do feel that his bait the press and then counter attack style has been rumbled by most teams and I am not sure how transferable this tactic is to a team that can expect to have 70% plus possession in most games.

3 hours ago, Jezz said:

There's been a lot of frustration through the course of the season which I can understand, but I keep thinking that given the young age and inexperience of our squad, results and performances were always going to be wildly inconsistent no matter who the coach was.

I don't think sacking him and moving on to the next coach will significantly improve us. I don't think there's a quick fix solution to our current problems.

I think Pochettino has done well in cup competitions, so he deserves some credit there. I was hoping for a top 6 finish at the start of the season so the fact that hasn't materialised yet is disappointing. I still think 6th or 7th is attainable if we can finish the season off strongly rather than being perpetually stuck in 10th or 11th.

I'm still on the fence. None of the potential replacements fill me with much expectation of anything different, so am on the side of continuity for now. 

We may not be winning each week, but my support isn't dependent on that, and to be honest I'm curious to see how this group of players evolve if given time and patience. I'm also enjoying the social media content (app, web site) that the club are turning out, which is a huge improvement on what we have had before, and does help build engagement with the players and club. I find that if you focus 100% on what comes out of the club, and ignore all the angry noise from YouTube, Twitter and a handful of posters on here, then it's a much more positive fan experience. 

Someone I'm curious about is Xavi, considering the circus at Barcelona and the lack of legitimate funding I think he did reasonable. I'm not saying he's necessarily my choice but I'm interested what his next career move will be.

Pochettino is either the best we can do or the worst we can do depending on how you frame it. I would say he's the bottom of the barrel of the so called "elite manager" (this season has nearly put a nail in the coffin to any talk of him being truly elite). 

However if "project manager" is going to be the key phrases thrown around by clearlake and they refuse to bring us a coach with better credentials than Pochettino he may be our best short term option. 

Put it this way if we're not getting a coach who has multiple top 5 league wins, cup wins and UCL wins. Then perhaps Pochettino is our best bet, he does have a few things in his favour:

Multiple seasons experience in the league 

A good track record in the Prem

A good track record of developing young talent 

A "top 5 league win" when France was apparently a top 5 league

Big player management experience 

Gets on with the board and players

Has taken us to the finals and at the very minimum semi finals of both domestic cups

1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

I'm still on the fence. None of the potential replacements fill me with much expectation of anything different, so am on the side of continuity for now. 

We may not be winning each week, but my support isn't dependent on that, and to be honest I'm curious to see how this group of players evolve if given time and patience. I'm also enjoying the social media content (app, web site) that the club are turning out, which is a huge improvement on what we have had before, and does help build engagement with the players and club. I find that if you focus 100% on what comes out of the club, and ignore all the angry noise from YouTube, Twitter and a handful of posters on here, then it's a much more positive fan experience. 

It is hard to judge poch. Clearly he is not doing a great job but injury has really hurt us big time. We lost Chilwell, Nkunku, Fofana and James. 4 legit starter and their replacement is not at their level. 

3 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

It is hard to judge poch. Clearly he is not doing a great job but injury has really hurt us big time. We lost Chilwell, Nkunku, Fofana and James. 4 legit starter and their replacement is not at their level. 

Yes agreed. I think from the way pre-season was shaping up that Chukwuemeka was very much in the thoughts as a starter as well.

Said it many times ... there isn't a manager on the planet that can cope with the level of injuries we've had, and many struggle with even 1 or 2 out ... 

I'd like to have seen some more of Casadei, and a few of the other youngsters (e.g. Washington, Gilchrist, Castledine), but then again, there is probably a good reason why they are not getting the minutes. Perhaps a tired Enzo is better than a fit Casadei at this stage of their respective careers ? If Washington can hardly score at PL2 level , then how is he going to step up in the main arena ? Gilchrist struggled when starting in the FA Cup against a Championship side ... etc etc

He has had almost a full season and I see no signs of progress.

The only thing better than last year is we're scoring more. But we're also conceding a lot more.

We were 12th then. We're 12th now.

What is the project? To remain useless?

3 hours ago, Zeta said:

The only thing better than last year is we're scoring more. But we're also conceding a lot more.

They'll point to the data saying we should be 4th yet coincidentally ignore the other data that says we should be 18th. 

Directors need to earn their money if they don't believe Poch is the man. Earn your money and find the right man best you don't become 0-3 in managers. 

9 hours ago, Jezz said:

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I just genuinely can't see how any manager with this team can justify the position we're in. In terms of cup runs we've had very favourable draws, Potter was very unfortunate that our first game in both cup competitions were against Man City.

I'd be more inclined to back Poch a bit more if we were showing signs of improvement but we aren't, we are just as bad as we were last season and I haven't seen any improvements since the Poch has been here.

5 hours ago, Zeta said:

Our project is to win the xG title. Much like the useless titles in American baseball.

20 minutes ago, Drogba1 said:

Thoughts on this? I'm inclined to agree, particularly for his few weeks under Potter

Yep he was better, I am surprised that he want figure out a fellow 🇦🇷 

16 hours ago, Jezz said:

I agree with this. I'm fed up of the manager merry go round and actually think Poch will get there. Just need more time and perhaps an investigation into what is going on with our injuries and how so many can be avoided.

Man Utd is a crucial game if we want any hope of 6th. If we can get 4 points or more out of our two games in hand on 7 down we are in prime position for that 7th spot. We would need to both finish strong and beat Man Utd tomorrow to have any chance of 6th, not impossible, but if we can get to 6th, along with our cup runs I would say we could consider it a decent season for Poch considering the state we were in when he took over.

I’m generally coming down on the Poch out side..but when I hear him in his media interviews I always want him to stay on. I just like the bloke. He comes across as a nice fella. 

2 minutes ago, strider6004 said:

You gotta laugh there's a melt-down on the Red Cafe forum they want Ten Hag out.

And chelsea fans want Poch out how the mighty have fallen.

We both played each other in a CL final not too long ago.

5 minutes ago, MyWord said:

I’m generally coming down on the Poch out side..but when I hear him in his media interviews I always want him to stay on. I just like the bloke. He comes across as a nice fella. 

And that is why he will fail.

You never succeed in this sport by being nice. Ranieri winning the league with Leicester was a one off and very rare exception to that rule. 

Being nice in sport just creates losers in my experience. You need to have a nasty and ruthlessness side about you to win.

Edited by Scott Harris

Despite the win I have finally come down off the fence and joined the "Poch out" camp. Our defence is a disorganised shambles, our set-piece moves, both defensively and offensively, are awful. And most of all, despite his alleged reputation for bringing on young players, he is simply holding ours back IMO.

2 minutes ago, just said:

Despite the win I have finally come down off the fence and joined the "Poch out" camp. Our defence is a disorganised shambles, our set-piece moves, both defensively and offensively, are awful. And most of all, despite his alleged reputation for bringing on young players, he is simply holding ours back IMO.

That's the way I feel. I have a lot of sympathy for him due to the chaotic way our squad has been built but you then have to consider what he has done with the players he has available and I feel he has made too many mistakes too many times. Both in terms of starting selections and mid game changes.