spend big or spend wisely?

ws6blue

not long now before the squad rotation begins............so should we go for (the usual) £25m player(s) from europe, mostly decent players but over priced?, or maybe its time we bought more wisely - plenty of PL clubs have brought in very decnt players - look at cisse

so couple for me worth looking at would be;

moses from wigan.......................quick and decisive and plenty of impact

or maybe diame - powerful and physical and as we saw today a decent shot

or maybe joe allan from swansea - technically very sound and good range passing

or joe bennett from middlesborough - very good leftback, fast and clever

this next few weeks proves we need big squad of good players, but they don't all have to be expensive do they

Spending big and spending wisely are not necessarily mutually exclusive...

Sometimes it is wise to buy the best, sometimes it is prudent to make do with less than the best but make the best of what you have...

Did anyone read one of the papers which outlined Newcastle's way of bringing in/replacing players in their team?

They already have ideal first choice, and second choice replacemnets for players in their team, in every position. When one of their players is bought, they go for one of these targets. It seems like a very good model which stops you buying players, putting them in the youth and reserve setups with a chance they won't develop into players they could be. It sounds like a good model to use.

Spending big and spending wisely are not necessarily mutually exclusive...

Sometimes it is wise to buy the best, sometimes it is prudent to make do with less than the best but make the best of what you have...

I was about to say exactly that! First sentence, word for word..

I don't mind spending big, as long as it's within our means, and it's not bad value or ridiculously inflated. You don't always get what you pay for!

Did anyone read one of the papers which outlined Newcastle's way of bringing in/replacing players in their team?

They already have ideal first choice, and second choice replacemnets for players in their team, in every position. When one of their players is bought, they go for one of these targets. It seems like a very good model which stops you buying players, putting them in the youth and reserve setups with a chance they won't develop into players they could be. It sounds like a good model to use.

Hard to do when you have the lack of continuity we've had.

One quality player for £20-25 million who play out wide and has the ability to cross, drible, pass and score. Jovetic is my favorite. Cheaper and as good as Hazard. If we can supply with a midfielder who can tackle and pass the ball, then we will have a good squad. Javi Martinez is in my opinion the best out there, but expensive as hell.

FFP is a reality. Days are over when we could spend 100 million quid in one transfer window. Time to supply our squad with the youngsters, we can't loan out forever and hope they'll come good. De Bruyne, Kakuta and maybe Josh (if we can bulk him up a bit) should be in our squad next year.

I don't mind if we spend nothing or spend loads of money, just as long as it is on players that we really need and whom we have scouted well.

Doesn't have to be the best ones neither. Just as long as they have got the right attitude and spirit, they could do well for us.

But first things first - let's get the right manager!

Spend big, only a few managers can get good/average players play out of their skin.We will probably end up with a sh*t manager so might as well have good players.

yeah and possibly get charged more for going to matches as a consequence.

Spend wisely and finally buy a bloody winger for the right, like it should have been done when we sold off Duff and Robben. That's why we were so good in '04 and '05, we actually had pacy competent wingers, which have been nonexistent in our squad for a while.

As someone said hopefully we'll buy players that have been properly scouted, which will be a marked change! I don't know what criteria Chelsea use when scouting players but imagine it runs along these lines;

Look for the standout big player at a club, make it known to the world that we're interested, fight off all the opposition that we created by publicly declaring our interest by offering a massive salary and transfer fee, shoehorn standout striker into team by sticking him on the wing,

not long now before the squad rotation begins............so should we go for (the usual) £25m player(s) from europe, mostly decent players but over priced?, or maybe its time we bought more wisely - plenty of PL clubs have brought in very decnt players - look at cisse

so couple for me worth looking at would be;

moses from wigan.......................quick and decisive and plenty of impact

or maybe diame - powerful and physical and as we saw today a decent shot

or maybe joe allan from swansea - technically very sound and good range passing

or joe bennett from middlesborough - very good leftback, fast and clever

this next few weeks proves we need big squad of good players, but they don't all have to be expensive do they

One of my best mates is an avid Swansea fan, convinced he'll be absolutely fantastic in a couple of years - wouldn't be the worst idea ever although that would severely limit Josh's development as a Chelsea player.

Another name to throw in the bag here is that McClean from Sunderland - young, pacey, if he keeps this development up he'll be costing big bucks; may be a cheaper option to Adam Johnson (who would also be brilliant)

I must say that charriere makes an excellent point. Too often we have bought on reputation, and the blame for that can only sit with Roman, because we do have an excellent scouting network.

I think we need to make a fundamental realisation that different squad players are required for the Premier League than are required in Europe. Too often we have overlooked players who you require to win during the winter in England.

I don't expect any real changes in our strategy unless we miss out on the top four.

while i agree that you can get quality players at around 20m, at some areas id like us to go for absolute best if possible. im mainly talking about midfield here, at this point we dont have a great midfielder, cept for mata but he plays further up. we have so many CMFs yet not a single one of them is a top tier player. we are stuck with too many mediocre ones

as far as wingers are concerned i think any decent purchase would transform our game significantly

No point buying a decent winger unless we can get a decent central midfielder, who will move the ball forwards quickly!

Completely agree. I think first and foremost we must address the lack of creativity within our midfield. Without that we will struggle to pose any attacking threat, although indeed, new wingers are needed.

As for spending, I don't mind how much we spend (within reason) as long as they are worth the money. If we spent a radical amount on a player and they transformed our game then I would care about the large fee. Obviously not spending much on a player that significantly contributes is ideal, but that doesn't mean we don't have to spend big, because sometimes spending big is spending wisely also.

On another note since we are playing Fulham later: Clint Dempsy - He could (arguably) fit into the "spend wisely" category as he is almost out of contract (therefore likely to be relatively cheap) and is an absolute quality player who would thrive in a big team with similarly quality players around him. He may not be 29 but he would bring experience, leadership, creativity and goals. Of course this signing would only work if we saw the end of Miereles and Frank accepted a impact substitute role. Obviously there will be better youthful signings out there but I expect it would not be hard to acquire his signature and would solve a lot of our problems in the short term (next couple of seasons).

Wisely, obviously. What's the point of splashing out £30m here and £50m there if the players are either: a) not suited to our system, b) past it, c) sh*t

Newcastle have spent hardly anything and have assembled a squad which is probably good enough to be finshing in the top 4. We've spent sh*t loads and we're struggling.

FOr all the joy and happiness our money & therefore success has brought us, we still make shockingly bad transfer decisions sometimes - both players going out and players coming in. I mean, look at Matic for example. Never really given much of a chance here, was obviously not going to make it in our squad so we send him to Benfica and they have no qualms about starting him in a CL quarter final, where he didn't look out of place at all. We don't give our younger players enough of a look-in to prove themselves, and we just go out and replace them with multi-million pound players who let us down.

I hear today that Adam Johnson is available from City, knew we were interested in him before he went to City. Could be the pace we need down the wings.

Its very difficult to see who is available, but anyone who has a good Euro 2012 will have their price tag double/triple. Also need to bear in mind that we may not be able to give champions league football, although I see this as a possible blessing in disguise...