abramovich

Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Justification ?????

That's like saying we are justifying playing cech because he makes the odd great save, contributes to the team, but we should get rid of him because he doesn't save them al.. Utterly ridiculous.

You forgot on your list, scoring regularly this season!

Moving on..

"should be in double figures" I wonder how many PL players have got into double figures so early into the season? not very many, that's for sure.

Trying to 'fluff' out your case against Torres with a post full of dramatic exaggeration just makes you look spiteful.

Alan

PS When that scummy dipper came on here and said that "Torres needs to score a hat-trick every game to please people on here" I'm beginning to think he had a point.

great - lets get down in the mud - "spiteful"

it's not in any way spiteful,

Justification is the fact that torres has not scored has offten as he should have, there have been a number of excuses used in the past such as, we are not creative enough, drogba is an intimidating presence, malouda doesn't pass enough. etc. Well drogba is gone, malouda has been dumped and lets not make bones, the board and robbie D have worked mirrical's this summer and pulled in 3 absaloute gems in Hazzard, oscar and marin to add to the already brilliant matta. We have changed the way we play, basicaly every excuse that has every been used for Torres not succeeding has no been eradicated. These guys have put him on a plate on a number of occations and he hasnt taken the gift. Infact he has fallen over in confustion.

It's not about goals, it's about the fact that when i watch the games I don't get the impresion that Torres is an out and out danger, the leathality he had at liverpool has not showen through, there are a number of occations not just one on ones that he would have burried at liverpool.

So now it's torres who is making the 3 beind him look great, i'm calling bullsh*t on that. And its my humble opinion that sturridge would be more effective

great - lets get down in the mud - "spiteful"

it's not in any way spiteful,

Justification is the fact that torres has not scored has offten as he should have, there have been a number of excuses used in the past such as, we are not creative enough, drogba is an intimidating presence, malouda doesn't pass enough. etc. Well drogba is gone, malouda has been dumped and lets not make bones, the board and robbie D have worked mirrical's this summer and pulled in 3 absaloute gems in Hazzard, oscar and marin to add to the already brilliant matta. We have changed the way we play, basicaly every excuse that has every been used for Torres not succeeding has no been eradicated. These guys have put him on a plate on a number of occations and he hasnt taken the gift. Infact he has fallen over in confustion.

It's not about goals, it's about the fact that when i watch the games I don't get the impresion that Torres is an out and out danger, the leathality he had at liverpool has not showen through, there are a number of occations not just one on ones that he would have burried at liverpool.

So now it's torres who is making the 3 beind him look great, i'm calling bullsh*t on that. And its my humble opinion that sturridge would be more effective

Did anyone actually say that though?

I thought someone made the point that he has a good relationship with them (in a footballing sense) with I would agree with but I don't think anyone said he made the 3 behind him look good did they?

I think his link up play and movement suits the style attacking threat of Hazard, Mata and Oscar I must say, as you rightly say Torres is getting in the right positions and chances are getting created as a result it is the finishing of these chances which needs improvement.

mclovin83

So many stereotypes, so little evidence.

Torres's chemistry with the three behind him means there is only one striker in the world I would trade him for and that's Falcao.

Saying Rooney is overrated because he doesn't top the scoring charts is like saying the likes of Del Piero and Totti were overrated for the same reason. He is very much a support striker and the best in the world at doing so.

that's quiet emphatic i think

"should be in double figures" I wonder how many PL players have got into double figures so early into the season? not very many, that's for sure.

Top premier league goalscorers so far have 6 (Torres has 4 by the way), so I wouldnt think anyone is into double figures yet.

Im a member of the Torres fan club as in I don't praise him when he plays bad and make excuses but he is contributing at the moment. We are top of the league and we are playing well.

I don't think he's been a world beater this season but he's done his job. It's by far his best time at the club and hopefully he can improve on that. He's our Striker until the end of the season. If we win the league and he's got around 15+ goals and he continues to perform then he's done more than enough, every game, every win will do him and the team a world of good and create an air of invincibility.

There is no need to change right now even for someone like Falcao, Im not gonna lie if we signed Falcao I wouldn't say no. Nobody would. Though I do see us signing someone in the mould of Loic Remy. Someone who is willing to sit on the bench.

The way i see it at the moment, why change something that doesn't need fixing?

Edited by Sheva

The way i see it at the moment, why change something that doesn't need fixing?

after the champions league win we probably should have held onto kalou and bossy instead of buying all these new players.

after the champions league win we probably should have held onto kalou and bossy instead of buying all these new players.

Totatlly different scenario, we were 6th in the league and our CL run was phenomonal but I dont think a run like that will happen again. It was made on desire to win the trophy whatever the cost.

Now we are are winning comfortably against teams we struggled against last season in the league.

Edited by Sheva

Totatlly different scenario, we were 6th in the league and our CL run was phenomonal but I dont think a run like that will happen again. It was made on desire to win the trophy whatever the cost.

Now we are are winning comfortably against teams we struggled against last season in the league.

i know its a different scenario, it was tounge in cheek. a lot of the games this season couldve been killed off a lot sooner/easier with a proper striker up top - dont forget our first 4 or so matches were no breeze even though they were weaker oppenents.

the point is there are always improvements to be made, and i'd say we are winning games despite having torres in the team rather than because he is part of the team

Edited by onebelo

the point is there are always improvements to be made, and i'd say we are winning games despite having torres in the team rather than because he is part of the team

That does seem something of a fallacious argument. While it's true that there are always improvements to be made - there is no such thing as the perfect player, no such thing as the perfect team - it seems to me that your opinion is formed by concentrating on what Torres doesn't do rather than what he does.

You could use the same argument for most players, Petr Cech for instance. We won at White Hart Lane despite having Petr Cech in goal. He was beaten twice, so if it wasn't for our attackers we'd have lost. Daft argument right? But it's one that uses very much the same logic as your own.

Edited by Tommy Docherty

Fair enough, I just think taking something out of a winning formula maybe a mistake. Maybe the players behind Fernando enjoy playing with him? I just think buying another striker for 40 million to solve a problem is strange because it currently doesnt need solving.

Edited by Sheva

ioppenents.

This is going a bit far.

There is room for improvement in that position, we could maybe be stronger but I don't think you can say we are where we are despite Torres being in the team when he has scored 4 goals including crucial goals that have directly resulted in us taking 3 points (Reading, Arsenal)

This is going a bit far.

There is room for improvement in that position, we could maybe be stronger but I don't think you can say we are where we are despite Torres being in the team when he has scored 4 goals including crucial goals that have directly resulted in us taking 3 points (Reading, Arsenal)

Newcastle, when he won the penalty and scored.

Torres is playing well, and is contributing, but for some Chelsea fans unless he scores every game then he is a failure!

I was refering to his United career, not just this season.

Rooney has played many games wide left especially when Ronald and tevez, were there. he's played behind Hernandez, vberbatov, and welbeck over the last 3 seasons.

quality player, hasn't done it for England for a few years. but I agree with Sydney he's the best support striker in world football.

Rooney has played many games wide left especially when Ronald and tevez, were there. he's played behind Hernandez, vberbatov, and welbeck over the last 3 seasons.

quality player, hasn't done it for England for a few years. but I agree with Sydney he's the best support striker in world football.

The attacking players at United have all rotated and Rooney has played all over the attack over the years but he hasn't played purely as a 'support striker' for his entire United career by any stretch of the imagination. To imply that he is somehow restricted or shackled due to this role and use it to explain why he hasn't scored more is not valid for me. It's not as if he has been the one pulling all the strings and cretaing all the goals for another striker- he had a grand total of 4 assists in the Premiership last season which is not exactly a world class return when you consider both Mata and Hazard has 5 a piece alreday this season after 8 games.

Out of intereest when you sat he is the best support striker in the world who are you comparing him to that plays a similar role in your eyes?

Edited by mclovin83

This is going a bit far.

i dont know how many times ive said this on here but where were all these "hes scored 4 goals so hes playing fine" arguements last season ? they wernt there, they were modified into "hes not scoring goals but hes working for the team"

neither is entirely right... goals dont mean anything without context.... think of how many goals torres couldve had if he didnt miss his easy chances or if he actually busted a gut to get into dangerous positions. thats the context you need to look at. not just "4 goal=good"

we've all seen him squander the easy 1v1 chances but what really gets on my nerves is when he doesnt make a quick dash to get that extra step ahead of his defender... so many times this season alone ive seen someone (hazard a few times in particular) put in a dangerous ball across goal just waiting for a striker to get onto it.... yet torres is nowhere to be seen

Well if you read the last few pages you will see that most (including myself) are still questioning if Torres is doing enough.

There are still question marks for me, and I agree in that you wonder how many more goals our striker would have if he was that bit clinical.

Never the less, he has scored match winning goals and played his part and I think that saying that we are top of the league despite having Torres up top implies that he is some sort of handicap to the team which I don't agree with.

Could we have a better more clinical striker? Yes, without doubt.

Is Torres a complete waste of a shirt and a passenger in all games who doesn't contribute? No.

Well if you read the last few pages you will see that most (including myself) are still questioning if Torres is doing enough.

There are still question marks for me, and I agree in that you wonder how many more goals our striker would have if he was that bit clinical.

Never the less, he has scored match winning goals and played his part and I think that saying that we are top of the league despite having Torres up top implies that he is some sort of handicap to the team which I don't agree with.

Could we have a better more clinical striker? Yes, without doubt.

Is Torres a complete waste of a shirt and a passenger in all games who doesn't contribute? No.

i was just responding to your statement 'The way i see it at the moment, why change something that doesn't need fixing?'

thats all. its something i completely disagree with.

i was just responding to your statement 'The way i see it at the moment, why change something that doesn't need fixing?'

thats all. its something i completely disagree with.

I didn't say that mate.

If/when Sturridge is given a chance, I really hope our fans are patient with him like they have (rightfully imo) been with Torres. I feel Danny has been getting a bit too much stick from the fans for his selfishness. Torres, on the other hand gets a lot of stick for not being clinical enough and for being caught in two minds when he is through on goal - which is true in both cases but a lot of our fans are only picking up on the negative but not the incisive aspects of their game. Both Danny and Fernando have flaws that need to be worked on, but the important thing right now is that they are both fit, and as long as they remain injury free, I'm happy.

Edited by Amputechture

I didn't say that mate.

oh yeah

you did say this tho

"Well if you read the last few pages you will see that most (including myself) are still questioning if Torres is doing enough.

There are still question marks for me, and I agree in that you wonder how many more goals our striker would have if he was that bit clinical."

i never said people arent questioning torres

i like i said, that statement about 'not needing fixed' was what i repsonding to

Edited by onebelo

f**king hell....

The lad has a 1 in 2 ratio this season, has assists, and played a big part in other goals (winning freekicks, pens, robbing the ball of defenders etc)

We are top of the league, we have the best goal difference of all teams and a striker who is scoring and making goals.

What is the issue? seems like some people havenever heard the phrase "the grass is always greener"