Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

True. When you consider that when Shaktar got the ball on the edge of the box they had about 3 or 4 players breaking into the box, with others up in support out wide, and when we were in the same position it was Torres back to goal, with Hazard, Mata and Oscar all farther away from the goal than him, it's not a surprise we created very little. But still, when he did get it he did his usual attempts to turn and trick his way past 3 or 4 players in a tight crowd and lose it every time. Unbearably frustrating to watch at times.

I generally agree with this. I think we would have really benefited from additional width tonight. Shakhtar's fullbacks are very poor defensively. Srna is essentially a winger playing defense and Rat is just awful. Playing so centrally, we weren't able to exploit that.

True. When you consider that when Shaktar got the ball on the edge of the box they had about 3 or 4 players breaking into the box, with others up in support out wide, and when we were in the same position it was Torres back to goal, with Hazard, Mata and Oscar all farther away from the goal than him, it's not a surprise we created very little. But still, when he did get it he did his usual attempts to turn and trick his way past 3 or 4 players in a tight crowd and lose it every time. Unbearably frustrating to watch at times.

It's the same routine every time - gets ball, ignores team mates in better positions , tries to take on too much, loses control of the ball, gives away a free kick due to a clumsy foul.

Frustrating doesn't do it justice.

Edited by bjd

He did lose the ball quite often and his dribbling was just frustrating to watch. There was a chance very early on when he could have put Hazard (I think it was him) through 1 on 1 with the keeper but decides to dribble with the ball instead. His attempts at creating just didn't work, not really his fault at times just misreading the situation.

Only thing that really annoyed me was around the 12 min when Oscar went to cross the ball, Torres didn't even try to get in front of the defender. He stood still in between two defenders and expected the ball to land perfectly on his head. Everything else was down to Shaktar's good performance as proved when Sturridge came on. Although Sturridge still managed to create a chance and have a shot.

It seems to me that we have a lot to work on when it comes to our offence. At times the players doesn't quite seem to know what they are supposed to do. No clear plans.

And the teamwork between fron three midfielders and Torres doesn't quite work out.

Also, how often has someone played a long ball behind the opponents defence for Torres? I can't remember that happening very often.

We need to work more on our attacking plays. We have the skill, but not the execution at the moment.

We scored 4 goals in our last 2 games! I'd hardly say we need alot of work on our attack. It was one bad game and this is typical of the general over reaction on this board when we dare to lose a game.

We scored 4 goals in our last 2 games! I'd hardly say we need alot of work on our attack. It was one bad game and this is typical of the general over reaction on this board when we dare to lose a game.

I wasn't actually just refering to this game, but to more or less every game of the season so far. Yes, we have scored goals, but there's still things lacking in our offence.

And surely we have scored more than four goals in our last two games. There was four in our last game and I do believe we scored tonight as well or perhaps you gave up on the team after Shakhtars 2nd goal and turned the tv off.

He did lose the ball quite often and his dribbling was just frustrating to watch. There was a chance very early on when he could have put Hazard (I think it was him) through 1 on 1 with the keeper but decides to dribble with the ball instead. His attempts at creating just didn't work, not really his fault at times just misreading the situation.

Only thing that really annoyed me was around the 12 min when Oscar went to cross the ball, Torres didn't even try to get in front of the defender. He stood still in between two defenders and expected the ball to land perfectly on his head. Everything else was down to Shaktar's good performance as proved when Sturridge came on. Although Sturridge still managed to create a chance and have a shot.

That all fair enough but then again there were plenty of occassions tonight when Hazard, Oscar and Even Mata lost the ball, made the wrong decision, lost their man when tracking back etc. Hazard actually cost us the second goal. Let's not just blame Torres when everyone is just as culpable.

That all fair enough but then again there were plenty of occassions tonight when Hazard, Oscar and Even Mata lost the ball, made the wrong decision, lost their man when tracking back etc. Hazard actually cost us the second goal. Let's not just blame Torres when everyone is just as culpable.

I agree but this is a Torres thread. Already mentioned the rest of the team in the match thread.

I wasn't actually just refering to this game, but to more or less every game of the season so far. Yes, we have scored goals, but there's still things lacking in our offence.

And surely we have scored more than four goals in our last two games. There was four in our last game and I do believe we scored tonight as well or perhaps you gave up on the team after Shakhtars 2nd goal and turned the tv off.

I said we scored 4 goals in our last 2 games. Meaning norwich (4-1) and spurs (4-2). What could possibly be lacking in our offence when we are creating shed loads of chances and scoring 4 goals a game?

I am going to start this post by saying I have been defending or trying to defend Nando for 2 months under 2 years. TWO YEARS!. So I shall start with this, if I was sh*t at my job for 2 years I am pretty sure I would have got sacked by now. Anyway.....

I just can't defend him any more. I JUST CAN'T.

This is not a knee jerk reaction for 1 bad game in 30, it's completely the other way around. I have tried really f**king hard to support him, really hard to say to everybody I know that he will get better, that class doesn't disappear overnight, that eventually his quality will come to the surface.

Well, you know what? There is no quality, not any more. Instead of saying he is going through a bad spell and he will get through it, think about this. This is not a bad spell, this a normal Nando we are seeing. What happened at Liverpool was a fluke good spell. And flukes like that only happen ONCE.

His first touch is dreadful.

He still tries to take on defenders one on one with the same f**king trick dragging the ball back every f**king time even though everybody knows what he is going to try.

He runs down blind allays with nowhere to go.

He doesn't shoot as he is scared to miss.

He takes up the wrong positions.

It's just f**king ridiculous if I am honest.

However, come on Nando, bag a hat-trick on Sunday.

Edited by SimonH

I do agree he got made a bit of a scapegoat tonight. Though, he was the worst out of a bad bunch. He was taken off for a reason, Robbie didn't take Mata or Oscar off for Sturridge. He lost the ball numerous times, tried to take on the defender in situations he could of passed it. Im not gonna say Falcao because he's never played for us but if someone like Didier was up top tonight then at 2 goals down I would of still had a strong hope with 20 mins to go.

Torres tries too hard to impress, he's a player that thinks about situations too much when he just needs to let his natural talent take over.

I posted earlier that he's apart of a winning formula, im not going to retract that post in any means but when the winning formula becomes a losing one(not tonight, if in the future) then the problems have to be solved.

The season is still relatively early and we're sitting top of the table. Im not calling for a replacement just yet, cause a small part of me still has faith. Though it's hard to have faith when his explosiveness as a striker has all but gone.

Edited by Sheva

This is the first time most of the team have underperformed and even RDM looked concerned for the first time this season, Torres was no worse than a majority of the team, he still has a poor first touch but at times can go past 3-4 players, albeit way out on the wing but hey come on he can't do that down the middle! The 4 Muskateers looked out of sorts tonight I guess we will know by January or sooner whether he hangs around for the second half.....unless he can score a goal every other game, despite his overall performances I still think he will be sold...maybe even part exchange for Falcao...at least he will be at home...

maybe even part exchange for Falcao...at least he will be at home...

I find that highly unlikely. Atletico really need to secure a huge fee for Falcao in order to right their financial situation. If we give Torres as part exchange, not only will they receive less cash but they'll also have to find a way to pay his wages. If we buy Falcao, I think it'll be for a fee only and we'll have to find someone else to sell Torres to.

I find that highly unlikely. Atletico really need to secure a huge fee for Falcao in order to right their financial situation. If we give Torres as part exchange, not only will they receive less cash but they'll also have to find a way to pay his wages. If we buy Falcao, I think it'll be for a fee only and we'll have to find someone else to sell Torres to.

Well stranger things have happened...who knows Torres just might turn it around :128:

He's just not the player he was at Lolpool.

Confidence torn to bits and he seems to just dither and hesitate himself into trouble more often than not.

Almost every time he gets the ball passed to him around the box, or he tries to dribble past people I am prepared for him to lose it pretty much straight away.

Edited by Zola

How suprised was I to see this thread top of the tree when I logged on this morning???? Not 1 little bit!

The Torres bashers must have been sitting there w**king themselves silly last night!

Lets get 1 thing straight, Torres had a poor game last night and was rightly subbed off, however he wasn't the worst player by a long margin!

I'm not one who comments in this thread much at all, or one who takes any bizarre sense of pleasure when he doesn't perform.

Lets just be honest though, we could do better, and its not a knee jerk reaction. We have known this for well over a year now.

His goal to game ratio isn't bad so far this season, can you see him keeping it up? Not so sure.

The Torres bashers must have been sitting there w**king themselves silly last night!

funny you think criticism of the team/player has some under lying egotistical movitation

well its doesnt. its like why we shouldve gotten rid of kalou and bossy over the summer and why malouda has een relagted to the u18s... because its plain farkin obvious they're detrimental to the team

Edited by onebelo

It was like playing with 10 men last night. He is slow, weak, clumsy, ponderous and lacks any real ability. He has an awful first touch, he traps the ball further than most people can kick it. He has been finished as a top level player for years so this is nothing new.

However I don't blame Torres. He's just not good enough and we have known this since he arrived. He has been a colossal failure and I blame the club for persisting with him. They have left the team with no alternative because Di Matteo clearly doesn't fancy Sturridge. God knows why because he is a better option than Torres.

funny you think criticism of the team/player has some under lying egotistical movitation

well its doesnt. its like why we shouldve gotten rid of kalou and bossy over the summer and why malouda has een relagted to the u18s... because its plain farkin obvious they're detrimental to the team

The quite obvious point I was making, is that people like you are not supporting Torres in any way, you are doing the complete opposite, you are wanting him to fail!

That way you can come on here and have a little rant!

As I said he played badly, so did lots of players last night, did it need another 2 pages of this thread and the same arguements being churned out?

The other Torres thread was locked, but without looking it up I'd say that thread and this probably combine to 160 pages that could probably be condensed into 20 pages!