Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

One thing is for certain. Torres needs to work harder on 1v1 situations in training. He just needs to keep practicing until he gets that striker's instinct back.

thing is its not finishing in particular its still a confidence. sure he can take a few one time shots or instincts hits that may go wide and people would think 'decent effort'.. but when hes 1v1 he is in the spotlight, its all on him to do the business and he freezes up... its still all in his head imo

I skipped a few pages for forgive my point which relates to a few pages back.

People say Studge is selfish and not a team player but what i like about his is he will always shoot. He isnt afraid to miss. I think this is Torres problem. He seems to me that he is afraid to miss.

Nail.Head.Buried.

He always takes that extra touched which leads to the defenders catching up. Won't take the shot on. Which is a shame, because he's got all the talent he needs. I hope he gets himself going by January. Really want him to succeed, as at times he's showed his class and brilliance, and this years his goals/Game ratio is well up, but you have to think what it could be. If he stopped over thinking blocked all his thoughts out and relied on what made him feared, instinct. Be selfish, be the striker he is and finish it.

The problem here is the continued expectation that Torres would be back to being the player he was at Liverpool. I had given up that hope long ago and now I see him as a player who is among the top 5 strikers in the league and is leading our line quite all right.

We need to stop making statements like - "The Torres of old would have buried that chance". He is not the Torres of old and he will never be. How many strikers in the league are better than him? RVP, Aguero, Tevez? Maybe one or two more depending on your personal preferences. But not a hell lot more. He is still certainly a top 4 team striker.

He is nowhere near being among the five best strikers in England unfortunatly. He eventually turned into a good player for us now in his third season but there can`t be anyone out there that isn`t dissappointed about his time here. His runs are still good, he gives defenders a fight but he can`t finish to save his life anymore.

Give him any time to think about what he is going to do in a scoring position you could bet you`re life that he is going to mess it up(Harsh, but true..). Remember against Norwich when he was one on one with the keeper and he somehow managed to try to dribble backwards...?

Edited by Sindre

Not even the best striker at the club (sorry peops but sturridge is the better option)

the chance he had the other day, 1 on 1 was one of a number of identical situations this season, one against arsenal and one against nowrich as least. Its like some one is screaming at him DONT MISS DONT MISS!! I'm still shocked at hte barca goal (and greatfull)

but lets take the debatable sturridge out of the equation, RVP, rooney, tevez, aguero,suarez (yes he is the better of the two) we could argue welbeck, deffoe currently, demba ba I could go on, ill grant you that torres is right up there in terms of pedegree but i dont think thats a great selection method.

I sit there every game wating for him to explode, and every moment i try and anylise positivly. He is showing some nice interplay touches and with little time to think he's nicked some nice goals. Personly i think sturridge would have got more with the same ammount of game time.

He is nowhere near being among the five best strikers in England unfortunatly

Not saying you are right or wrong but out of interest who you consider to be better than Torres other than the obvious choices of RVP, Aguero, Tevez & Rooney.

Who would u take instead of Torres ? Would you swap him for the likes of Ba and Defoe?

Not even the best striker at the club (sorry peops but sturridge is the better option)

the chance he had the other day, 1 on 1 was one of a number of identical situations this season, one against arsenal and one against nowrich as least. Its like some one is screaming at him DONT MISS DONT MISS!! I'm still shocked at hte barca goal (and greatfull)

but lets take the debatable sturridge out of the equation, RVP, rooney, tevez, aguero,suarez (yes he is the better of the two) we could argue welbeck, deffoe currently, demba ba I could go on, ill grant you that torres is right up there in terms of pedegree but i dont think thats a great selection method.

I sit there every game wating for him to explode, and every moment i try and anylise positivly. He is showing some nice interplay touches and with little time to think he's nicked some nice goals. Personly i think sturridge would have got more with the same ammount of game time.

RVP, Tevez and Aguero (based on last season) are a long way ahead of Torres in my opinion.

I have always stated I think Rooney is massively overated and still believe that. He scored his first goals this season at the weekend (8 games in now aren't we) and he has had massive goal droughts at United on a par with the drought Torres experianced after first signing. Uniteds main striker who plays every game (and takes pens) for the team that has won the title 4 times out of the last 6 years and never won the golden boot. The white Pele my arse.

Suarez has missed a lot more chances than Torres this season to be fair, he is talented without doubt but I am not sure he would have many more goals than Torres this season if he was playng in our team.

I rate Demba Ba I must say and I really do wonder how he would do in our team. He seems to have that clinical finishing in front of goal that Torres is lacking at the moment. A constant danger anywhere near goal and opposition players and fans know it. With our service I have a feeling he would be a good fit in our team.

Welbeck- not for me. He can look good in cameo roles but his finishing is piss poor and wouldn't want to be relying on that, wouldn't want him over Torres.

Not saying you are right or wrong but out of interest who you consider to be better than Torres other than the obvious choices of RVP, Aguero, Tevez & Rooney.

Who would u take instead of Torres ? Would you swap him for the likes of Ba and Defoe?

I would take Demba Ba, Cisse, Suarez, Rooney, RVP, Tevez, Dzeko, Aguero, Adebayor, Podolski, Jelavic as our striker before Torres. And there are alot of strikers in EPL on approximatly the same level.

Edited by Sindre

I would take Demba Ba, Cisse, Suarez, Rooney, RVP, Tevez, Dzeko, Aguero, Adebayor, Podolski, Jelavic as our striker before Torres. And there are alot of strikers in EPL on approximatly the same level.

Dzeko? Have you actually watched him play regularly or are you just basing this off of his stats? Adebayor is twice as wasteful as Torres and yet he has half the all around game. Podolski is barely even a striker, his best position is out wide. Jelavic and Cisse? They've got 41 Premiership matches between them and Cisse still hasn't scored in the league this year. There are some highly questionable selections on your list, in my opinion.

Edited by That Boy Brandinho

Dzeko? Have you actually watched him play regularly or are you just basing this off of his stats? Adebayor is twice as wasteful as Torres and yet he has half the all around game. Podolski is barely even a striker, his best position is out wide. Jelavic and Cisse? They've got 41 Premiership matches between them and Cisse still hasn't scored in the league this year. There are some highly questionable selections on your list, in my opinion.

Dzeko would do everything Torres is doing and score twice as much. Lethal finisher and i would bet anything on him having a lot more than six goals this season playing for us. Bottom line is that i think everyone on my list would do better than Torres is doing for us. And Adebayor is pretty underrated on here by the looks of it.

Dzeko would do everything Torres is doing and score twice as much. Lethal finisher and i would bet anything on him having a lot more than six goals this season playing for us. Bottom line is that i think everyone on my list would do better than Torres is doing for us. And Adebayor is pretty underrated on here by the looks of it.

Dzeko can't do a fraction of what Torres can do. He can't pass, he can't cross, his movement is worse and he doesn't have Torres' work rate. He's not nearly as clinical as you seem to think he is either, but I guess I can understand why you'd think he is based purely on stats.

Adebayor may or may not be underrated here, I haven't seen much discussion about him. That doesn't change the fact that he isn't as good as Torres and is a curious choice to replace Fernando as he wouldn't improve on Torres' wastefulness one bit.

Edited by That Boy Brandinho

Torres is doing fine, but every game I find myself thinking "imagine if we had Falcao" etc.

It's not so much the missing chances that gets on my tits, it's the stopping, turning around and looking for a pass, instead of bursting through and getting a shot away.

The 4th at Spuds summed it up. Stood on his heels, not sure where to go whereas Sturridge was desperate to score, so he did.

Let's hope the Falcao speculation helps him take his performances to the next level.

RVP, Tevez and Aguero (based on last season) are a long way ahead of Torres in my opinion.

I have always stated I think Rooney is massively overated and still believe that. He scored his first goals this season at the weekend (8 games in now aren't we) and he has had massive goal droughts at United on a par with the drought Torres experianced after first signing. Uniteds main striker who plays every game (and takes pens) for the team that has won the title 4 times out of the last 6 years and never won the golden boot. The white Pele my arse.

Suarez has missed a lot more chances than Torres this season to be fair, he is talented without doubt but I am not sure he would have many more goals than Torres this season if he was playng in our team.

I rate Demba Ba I must say and I really do wonder how he would do in our team. He seems to have that clinical finishing in front of goal that Torres is lacking at the moment. A constant danger anywhere near goal and opposition players and fans know it. With our service I have a feeling he would be a good fit in our team.

Welbeck- not for me. He can look good in cameo roles but his finishing is piss poor and wouldn't want to be relying on that, wouldn't want him over Torres.

Id like to emphasise that I dont think all the names i mentioned our top notch strikers but i just dont rate torres as top notch either.

With rooney i particaly agree although drogba and anelka are two reasons he didnt win the golden boot and he has a habit of going through droughts after injurys and then scoring a bucket load. Also he has missed quite a bit of football this year as opposed to torres so not a fair comparision. Agreed he is over rated though

So many stereotypes, so little evidence.

Torres's chemistry with the three behind him means there is only one striker in the world I would trade him for and that's Falcao.

Saying Rooney is overrated because he doesn't top the scoring charts is like saying the likes of Del Piero and Totti were overrated for the same reason. He is very much a support striker and the best in the world at doing so.

So many stereotypes, so little evidence.

Torres's chemistry with the three behind him means there is only one striker in the world I would trade him for and that's Falcao.

Saying Rooney is overrated because he doesn't top the scoring charts is like saying the likes of Del Piero and Totti were overrated for the same reason. He is very much a support striker and the best in the world at doing so.

Rooney has mainly played as a striker in the centre of an attacking trio for United though and that with the quality of the likes of Ronaldo supporting him from the wide areas.

Cisse? What has he done this season? Scoring a few goals for half a season in English football makes him better than Torres?

Suarez? How many goals has he scored? His shots to goals ratio would make Heskey look good.

We need also understand that Torres, with all his individual flaws, has created a great understanding with our three attacking mids. That accounts for something? For those who are advocating bringing Sturridge in to replace Torres, have you considered the slight possibility that Studge's selfish attitude, shooting at every opportunity may upset his teammates?

There are a lot of variables to be considered than just whether Torres sucks donkey's ass or not. Which is why this thread is such a farce.

Edited by rahul

For those who are advocating bringing Sturridge in to replace Torres, have you considered the slight possibility that Studge's selfish attitude, shooting at every opportunity may upset his teammates?

more so or less than not shooting at all? :laugh2:

sturridges selfishness is a myth people have carried on from about a year ago. everytime hes played under robbie hes looked nothing of the sort, mightve been even before that, can't remember specifically

Edited by onebelo

Rooney has mainly played as a striker in the centre of an attacking trio for United though and that with the quality of the likes of Ronaldo supporting him from the wide areas.

It's the other way round. Rooney is the generally the supporter for RVP/Welbeck.

I love it, the Torres excuse register:

- He needs time to settle in to his new team

- Malouda doesnt pass to him

- he's not getting the service

- It would be hard for any one to score in this team

- we are to narrow

- Drogba is intimidating him

Now these excuses have evolved in to somthing new - Justification!

- He has "chemistry with the 3 behind him"

- No other striker would work so well with the 3 behind him

New's flash people, we dont know that no other striker would do well infornt of that 3 because no other striker has had game time infront of them, Talk about greed, why didnt torres lay the ball of for an easy finish when 1-on-1 the other day? Talk about desire, why does it seem torres is never busting a gut to get on the end of somthing 50/50, if he's there he's there but i never see him bust a gut to get to the near post on the of chance the ball might go there (high percentage)

Why does he fall over every time he is one on one?

the guy is broken, his link up play is good, ill grant you but i believe he should be in double figures already this season and the key question is - How long will we try and fix him while blocking the potential of some one that could be even better.

Danny is 24, he has always scored goals and he doenst lack confidence, I say give him a run, up top infount of oscar, hazzard, matta or even marin and see how he does, no one know's till he gets the chance, he has shown enough promise so far.

In fairness to robbie he has had no choice untill now as Danny has been injured

Now these excuses have evolved in to somthing new - Justification!

- He has "chemistry with the 3 behind him"

- No other striker would work so well with the 3 behind him

New's flash people, we dont know that no other striker would do well infornt of that 3 because no other striker has had game time infront of them, Talk about greed, why didnt torres lay the ball of for an easy finish when 1-on-1 the other day? Talk about desire, why does it seem torres is never busting a gut to get on the end of somthing 50/50, if he's there he's there but i never see him bust a gut to get to the near post on the of chance the ball might go there (high percentage)

Why does he fall over every time he is one on one?

the guy is broken, his link up play is good, ill grant you but i believe he should be in double figures already this season and the key question is - How long will we try and fix him while blocking the potential of some one that could be even better.

Justification ?????

That's like saying we are justifying playing cech because he makes the odd great save, contributes to the team, but we should get rid of him because he doesn't save them al.. Utterly ridiculous.

You forgot on your list, scoring regularly this season!

Moving on..

"should be in double figures" I wonder how many PL players have got into double figures so early into the season? not very many, that's for sure.

Trying to 'fluff' out your case against Torres with a post full of dramatic exaggeration just makes you look spiteful.

Alan

PS When that scummy dipper came on here and said that "Torres needs to score a hat-trick every game to please people on here" I'm beginning to think he had a point.

It is a tough task for Robbie, just think of the press going on at him if he dropped Torres for a few games to give Danny a chance. For me i think at the moment Torres cant be dropped. Not because of how he is playing but because the effect it might have on him and the hassle Robbie would get.

On the flip side if Robbie did drop Torres and Danny banged in a couple of goals each game then Robbie would look justified.