abramovich

Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

I think we have not seen anything like the best from Torres yet; quietly confident of his second coming.

Maybe not, but something I noticed on sunday was the huge difference in class in regards to ball control comparing him up against Mata, Oscar & Hazard. He looked out of depth compared to the touch & movement of those 3.

Thats true! BUT i still think we are frightfully short up front. Torres and Sturridge and Studge has hardly played because he is "injured" all the time. If Torres burnt out or got a long term injury we would be screwed. From going from 5 main strikers last season to only 2 this season is just stupid and we are damn lucky that Torres has stayed fit so far.

Agree but we also have Piazon and Feruz in reserve.

I mentioned in another thread that despite his 6 goals thus far this season I don't think we have the torres we throught we were getting when we splashed out 50 million 20 months ago.

All things aside such as whether is has lost pace, mobility, power etc, the three 1 on 1's he had against arsenal and Norwich, he would have put away two years ago, at which point he was arguably the best finisher in the world.

The good news is that he's getting the oportunitys, that's a combination of our new midfield and his movement, which along with some of his link up play has been excellent. As always I'm keen to see what Danny does with this midfield behind him, for me its never been clear cut that torres is first choice. He is scoring goals though and if he can rediscover that extra 10 percent or so that is missing we'r all in for a great season.

On a side note, every one has been raving about Oscar, Hazard, Mata and rightfully so, scary thing is we still have Marin to come in who looks a bit special as well. And to last year mata had to sholdure nearly all the creative responsbility,

Maybe not, but something I noticed on sunday was the huge difference in class in regards to ball control comparing him up against Mata, Oscar & Hazard. He looked out of depth compared to the touch & movement of those 3.

i wouldnt say that...torres' one touch passing is sublime, hes assisted quite a few goals this season and created many chances with his elegant touches

He's good when he has to do something quickly - pass, shoot, etc... But as soon as he has time to engage his brain and think about it, he stumbles over the ball, can't make up his mind which way to go or whether or not to shoot or pass. I'm still shocked he scored against Barcelona considering the time he had to think about it. He needs to turn off his brain when he gets into a shooting position and just let his instincts take over.

His confidence confuses me, he will get one on one with the keeper and his arse will fall out. Yet he gets a ball with his back to goal and tries a massively extravagant overhead kick, something only a very confident striker will try.

I think his work rate has been brilliant as of late, a real team player. He is getting goals as well, which is very encouraging.

The only that frustrates me is his 'arsenal' syndrome he gets in a lot of games, when he is in the box and could get a clean shot away he sometimes panics, has a poor touch or tries to take it round every defender to walk it in.

If he just laced a few of those I am sure he'd get more goals.

However, if you give him a really fast, instinctive decision making opportunity like the header on saturday (or the overhead kick attempt) he will more often than not convert them rather than panic.

Edited by Zola

I dont think torres will ever be the player he was for liverpool again, he went downhill in his last season with us and for whatever reason never found his form again. He'll be a great player, but i dont think he'll ever be 'unplayable' like he used to.

His confidence confuses me, he will get one on one with the keeper and his arse will fall out. Yet he gets a ball with his back to goal and tries a massively extravagant overhead kick, something only a very confident striker will try.

absolutley. He is a contradiction. He tries some outrageous stuff that only those with a very high confidence would think of executing, yet the little things that should be second nature he seems to dwell on and cock up... Personally i think he is a bit scared to get chances to score, and is easier with playing the role of provider....who knows!

Its weird I think the goal he scored against Arsenal was a much harder chance than the one he fluffed. I know he fluffed one against Norwich too but what a bullet of a header. I'd only have a major problem if he wasn't working hard and he does he works exceptionally hard and gets plenty of assists. So aslong as the team is scoring and he's working hard then I'm happy.

I dont think torres will ever be the player he was for liverpool again, he went downhill in his last season with us and for whatever reason never found his form again. He'll be a great player, but i dont think he'll ever be 'unplayable' like he used to.

Lost his pace you say? No longer unplayable? You can thank this man.

rafa-benitez.jpg

Before I start this rant I want to make it clear that im very pro-nando, have been throughout his time here even through his huge droughts last season.

However I was watching a video on youtube of his top 10 goals at liverpool the other day, may have even just been from one season and the thing I noticed with all of them was that he was taking plenty of touches, sometimes absolutely magical ones from when he was getting the ball to putting it in the back of the net.

Now people are saying that hopefully fernando is on his way back to his best now and scoring goals but his 6 goals that he has scored this season have all come from a first time hit. Not on a single occasion has he taken a touch before scoring and it seems whenever he has been doing this he just dosent quite have that magic with is feet anymore that he used to and is getting himself tangled or taking a touch too many.

Saying all this as long as he keeps putting the ball in the net you wont get too many complaints out of me and personally i would like to give him the season without bringing Falcoa in in the January window.

Well it is only goal.com so for all we know that could be totally made up. But if true, why does he insist on continually giving these interviews that serve no purpose but to annoy the fans? Every time things are looking up, out he comes with more crap like the aftermath of the CL final.

I think we all know / knew some players felt like this. AVB lost the dressing room whether it was right or not is not the point it was what it was.

Kudos that he came out with it.

Edited by smileysmiles

Some people don't seem to realise that no striker in the world finishes every chance. In fact RVP misses a lot of chances, though he finished top scorer last season. The amount of chances he gets given per game than Torres is way more. The fact that Torres gets one or two chances a game and has already got 5 this season isn't bad at all.

Before I start this rant I want to make it clear that im very pro-nando, have been throughout his time here even through his huge droughts last season.

However I was watching a video on youtube of his top 10 goals at liverpool the other day, may have even just been from one season and the thing I noticed with all of them was that he was taking plenty of touches, sometimes absolutely magical ones from when he was getting the ball to putting it in the back of the net.

Now people are saying that hopefully fernando is on his way back to his best now and scoring goals but his 6 goals that he has scored this season have all come from a first time hit. Not on a single occasion has he taken a touch before scoring and it seems whenever he has been doing this he just dosent quite have that magic with is feet anymore that he used to and is getting himself tangled or taking a touch too many.

Saying all this as long as he keeps putting the ball in the net you wont get too many complaints out of me and personally i would like to give him the season without bringing Falcoa in in the January window.

Its such a telling stat. Its seems pretty clear to me that when Torres has to act instinctively ,without thinking about it that is when he is at his most dangerous. As soon as he has a bit of time to think about it he becomes ponderous and loses confidence.

Of course, the goal in the Nou Camp rubbishes everything i say there but i think the theory has some weight to it and suggests the Nou Camp was a big exception. After all, how many of us would bet on Torres scoring when put through 1 on 1 against Friedel on Saturday ? I know i wouldn't.

Going back to what you said about the compilation of goals you saw for Liverpool. I stumbled across the highlights of the Euro 2008 final (Spain 1 Germany 0) on Eurosport the other day. You may recall Torres scored the winner in that game, for that goal he just looked a very different to player to what we see now. He looked leaner, sharper, hungrier, and more agile than the player we know now. Take a look at the goal here, the goal is at the half way mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeXH9pAdZIQ&feature=related

I don think we can complain with the return of Torres this season and id agree he deserves at least a full campaign as the main man, but i think the player we see in that clip has gone forever.

Edited by bjd