Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Doesn't help when he misses good chances.

He should have had 2 goals last night really. First chance when the ball broke to him and he could have shot, but tried to go round the defender and forgot to take the ball with him. Then the one on one which he hit straight at the keeper. Needs to be burying those kind of chances, especially the 2nd one.

I would like to see us play a more wider game, with our two wingers actually going wide and not try to cut in towards the centre all the time.

That should create more space for not only Torres, but for the "number 10" and one of the deeper central midfielders if they feel like joining in the attack. It should also create more chances to cross the ball and with potentially three players in the box, that could get us some opportunities to score.

I don't think Torres is anywhere near the top of his game, and I don't think he's bursting with confidence. However, he is scoring relatively regularly this season and he is working hard for the team, and he is enjoying playing every game. Through hard graft more than anything he is contributing and as he contributes more his confidence will grow hopefully and he will start to play better. He is not completely out of sorts as he was in the past and he is beginning to grow into this team. I don't mind him missing chances I mind him not getting into positions to score. That problem hasn't been eradicated completely but it is getting better. I still think we would benefit from having a top-drawer striker in the side but in the meantime having a Torres fighting for the cause and slowly building his confidence through contributions to the scoresheet, performances and results will help him no end. When he was in his pomp at Liverpool he was silky smooth, he was devastating in the box and he was lethal over five yards. Sadly I don't think he will ever get back to that level but at least he has started making himself a nuisance to defenders and that's the main thing. A few more goals in the next few games and his confidence could really surge. He needs to start playing on instinct rather than memory and I'm afraid, other than a few isolated instances, that hasn't really happened yet in a Chelsea shirt.

I don't think Torres is anywhere near the top of his game, and I don't think he's bursting with confidence. However, he is scoring relatively regularly this season and he is working hard for the team, and he is enjoying playing every game. Through hard graft more than anything he is contributing and as he contributes more his confidence will grow hopefully and he will start to play better. He is not completely out of sorts as he was in the past and he is beginning to grow into this team. I don't mind him missing chances I mind him not getting into positions to score. That problem hasn't been eradicated completely but it is getting better. I still think we would benefit from having a top-drawer striker in the side but in the meantime having a Torres fighting for the cause and slowly building his confidence through contributions to the scoresheet, performances and results will help him no end. When he was in his pomp at Liverpool he was silky smooth, he was devastating in the box and he was lethal over five yards. Sadly I don't think he will ever get back to that level but at least he has started making himself a nuisance to defenders and that's the main thing. A few more goals in the next few games and his confidence could really surge. He needs to start playing on instinct rather than memory and I'm afraid, other than a few isolated instances, that hasn't really happened yet in a Chelsea shirt.

Thats pretty much spot on!

Just reading through the usual torres bollocking and noticing how certain peoples view is that he is very wasteful. Watching the Man City game, Aguero has just missed two very good chances, and big Edin just missed another one. They wont get analysised in the same manner as Nando for missing a few chances. I dont understand the why we always need to question him. Were never satisfied.

Just reading through the usual torres bollocking and noticing how certain peoples view is that he is very wasteful. Watching the Man City game, Aguero has just missed two very good chances, and big Edin just missed another one. They wont get analysised in the same manner as Nando for missing a few chances. I dont understand the why we always need to question him. Were never satisfied.

Was literally just about to post the same thing!

Pointed out exactly the same in the "Following our rivals"-thread.

If a striker scores 2 goals from his 7 good chances, then he's being saluted. If he doesn't score 1 from his 2 chances, then he's rubbish (at best).

That being said, I felt that Torres should have scored yesterday. However, it's good that he has developed his footballing brain and general skills and can contribute in other parts of the game as well. Some of his through balls are Mata-esque, and he's good and energetic in the pressure.

I don't get why people get so defensive when someone criticises Torres end of the day he's the most expensive English fee transfer of all time and he hasn't proven value for money. I lie the guy a lot and he works ard as hell but that player who set the world alight for Liverpool isn't the same player we have now. It's unfortunately a fact as of now.

Well.

It could of course be that most Chelsea supporters are tired of the media (and our own supporters, by the look of this thread) slagging our players, managers, supporters and team all the time, and therefor feel a responsibility to defend ourselves (of course within rational limits...).

At least that's the way I feel it.

Edited by Ozztheboss

But end if the day it's a forum and I always say that everyone has a right to their own opinion. I think Torres has played great in the last two games but when we paid 50 million pounds for a player I think it's expected to expect more from him. When people say Ageuro missed these chances etc because someone as sad Torres was wasteful its not the point. Torres messed up several break always in the Arsenal game and I think we have a right to expect more from a player of his calibre.

The POINT is that every player screws up, no matter how good they are.

Messi missed a penalty against us in the semi final last year. Ronaldo missed his penalty in RM's semi final last year. Half of the Bayern team missed their penalties in the final.

If Torres was wasteful against Arsenal, what do you read out of our other players? Torres' in-efficiency can't be blamed alone without discussing the other players dis-functionality.

As I said, Torres should have scored against Nordsjælland. He will be livid with himself, but even on a bad day he still created two (three if you count the PK for the second goal) goals, the first one arguably the most important for the match.

That's a decent performance for me, in a match where no one was really gelling.

Edited by Ozztheboss

We all want him to succeed. I like him buti must admit that yesterday he had a chance to shoot but he decided to take an extra 2 touches and stumbled over the ball and i was pissed off, but that no different from when DD would dive and roll around on the floor for 10 mins wassting an attacking situation, or if someone else blazes it over the bar instead of passing it, its the passion that keeps us going as fans.

This year he will score a decent amount of goals but more importantly he is going to creatte chances for team mates and create space which is just as important, i dont care if we score 70 over a season and 30 are his or 60 are divided between the team, i just want the team to do well and win games.

Ok how about this. Away to Nordsjaelland, Torres put in a very decent, if not spectactular performance. Ok he didn't score, and on a couple of occasions looked reluctant to shoot. Having said that, he made a valuable contribution, both to the overall team performance and to the result.

Sure we paid £50 million for him. And at that price he's an easy target, every failure is magnified out of all proportion. Every game in which he fails to score is made out to be a crisis, further evidence of his continuing decline. Was he worth the money? Not a chance? But neither is he anywhere near as poor a player as many would have us believe.

We are not and never will be Torres FC, any more than we were Drogba FC, or even way back when, Peter Osgood FC. So if we win and Torres makes a positive contribution without hitting the back of the net, then it's all well and good. It's all too easy to concentrate on the negatives, even more so when the media have been hammering on about Torres', regurgitating the self-same cliche'd nonsense week in week out.

And please don't anyone dare tell me I'm a Torres apologist. That's one thing I am not, let alone a Torres "fanboy". Simply put, Torres is our player, and as such he is not beyond criticism - far from it - but I will endeavour to concentrate on the positives, especially when, in my opinion, those positives outweigh the negatives.

Aguero was sensational in his first season in England.

I guess that cuts him a bit of slack.

So was torres? It hasn't cut him slack, probably due to him being Fernando Torres.

I don't get why people get so defensive when someone criticises Torres end of the day he's the most expensive English fee transfer of all time and he hasn't proven value for money. I lie the guy a lot and he works ard as hell but that player who set the world alight for Liverpool isn't the same player we have now. It's unfortunately a fact as of now.

I don't know if this was aimed at me but ill respond.

I feel that it is right to defend somebody when I feel that constant criticism isn't deserved. This argument of transfer fee has been argued many times. Everybody has opinions whether it is important or not. Each to their own. Everybody agree's he isn't the same player now, that'd be foolish to disagree with that comment however it still doesn't justify the endless abuse. My main point was he's going to miss the goal, hopefully not all the time. I remember a post in this thread before which I believe was pointed out by ozztheboss that he was never extremely clinical. Video's over whole games show this instead of just the clips of his goals. He's getting in to scoring positions, he is scoring and were essentially just coming together at the moment as a team. Give it some time, and just remember the other chances that the best strikers miss as well.

So was torres? It hasn't cut him slack, probably due to him being Fernando Torres.

Aguero has been great at City while Torres has been not-so-great at Chelsea. By his own admission, it's been a very difficult 18 months. If Aguero is cut more slack when he misses a chance that's understandable. Same for Van Persie. These guys are banging in 30 goals a season. Torres has a remarkably poor record for Chelsea in the Prem, so of course every miss will be highlighted. That goes without saying and I'm not sure why people on here are so surprised. He was the best striker in the world, he cost a record transfer sum, he seemingly forgot how to play football. If he had a great goalscoring record at Chelsea, nobody would be talking about him missing chances. Every striker misses chances, that goes without saying, it hardly needs mentioning, of course they miss chances, even the best ones. The best strikers, chances will keep falling at their feet regardless, that's what makes them so good, they have that sixth sense, they have that fearlessness, they have the wit to find that bit of space and the ability to make it pay. Missing chances for the likes of Aguero is not a worry. Look at him, look at the way he plays, look at his movement, his brain. A chance means nothing because another one will be along soon, whoever he's playing for. He makes it happen. Personally, I have never knocked Torres for missing chances, I couldn't care less if he misses chances, like I said, that goes with the territory. He needs to be playing in such a way that the chances fall at his feet and that's always been my criticism. His fear has kept him out of the box, has kept him from gambling and sniffing out a goal, and the more he has failed to score the more he has failed to do the simple things, like trap a ball. As I've said, this season he's worked hard for the team, he's contributed more and his confidence has grown, and as a result he seems a little more eager to get on the end of things, but he's not there yet. The more he's missing chances the more I'll see that as a positive, personally, just like tonight, despite City being hopelessly outplayed, Aguero must have found himself free three times, and that's what's telling, the fact that he kept coming back for more, and the fact that he kept finding himself in those positions. It doesn't happen by accident. At the end, with City trailing 1-0, a cross from Zabaleta and a great header from Aguero, he hung in the air, in a crowded penalty box, and only a great save denied him. That's what makes him a great striker. That ball doesn't land on his nut by accident. He's only a little fella. Personally, as I've said, the signs are encouraging from Torres but by no means does he look a top player, he just look a better player, and for that we should all be thankful.

Give it a break, we won 4 games in a row, he scored a couple of goals, why is it after every match the focus is on him (and Mikel) only? Fortunately Mikel didnt play much yesterday, otherwise the Mikel thread would be flooded with calls to sack him after another unnoticed performance. Look at the bigger picture, rather than scrutinise individual players every match, it's getting tedious.

Give it a break, we won 4 games in a row, he scored a couple of goals, why is it after every match the focus is on him (and Mikel) only? Fortunately Mikel didnt play much yesterday, otherwise the Mikel thread would be flooded with calls to sack him after another unnoticed performance. Look at the bigger picture, rather than scrutinise individual players every match, it's getting tedious.

Well said. Its like everyone always has to find something to complain about.

Get over it already. The team hasnt even hit top gear and we are sitting pretty in the league and Europe. Meanwhile, Torres is chipping in goals at a (for his time at Chelsea) vastly improved rate, and (far more importantly in my view) when we are humming offensively out there he is combining superbly with Mata, Hazard and Oscar.

When the four of them hit form they are mesmerizing to watch. Before, when we couldnt score, the knocks on Torres not getting it done were far more understandable. But when our offense is running rings around other teams, and the goals are flying in, it doesnt matter much to me who is putting the ball in the net most often.

When the four of them hit form they are mesmerizing to watch. Before, when we couldnt score, the knocks on Torres not getting it done were far more understandable. But when our offense is running rings around other teams, and the goals are flying in, it doesnt matter much to me who is putting the ball in the net most often.

This exactly!

Torr

But end if the day it's a forum and I always say that everyone has a right to their own opinion. I think Torres has played great in the last two games but when we paid 50 million pounds for a player I think it's expected to expect more from him. When people say Ageuro missed these chances etc because someone as sad Torres was wasteful its not the point. Torres messed up several break always in the Arsenal game and I think we have a right to expect more from a player of his calibre.

When he plays poorly then fair criticism is ok. When he plays well, give him praise. Its as simple as that, the fact that quite a few on here just cant bring themselves to praise him no matter what he does is whats annoying. goes for Mikel too.

Edited by dkw

After the first year Didier had been with us, I remember a reporter describing him perfectly "It was like watching a dog chasing a balloon". The truth is, when things are going wrong for strikers, there's nowhere to hide......when you are the European Champions lone striker with a £50m price tag, it's like having a 10KW spotlight shining down on you wherever you try to hide.

I've been critical of Torres in the past and justifiably so, but I have also been supportive and encouraging when you see him working hard and finding form. The truth is, he is at the greatest club in the world and officially the best team in Europe, so when he does play poorly (and we all know he does at times) it is so grossly accentuated that it's easy to slip in to critical mode. There have been times in the last 2 years that I have been absolutely sick and tired of Torres and have made my feelings known, but he's our striker and he's genuinely talented, so I always end up giving him the benefit of the doubt and replacing my faith in him.

If you are willing to criticize when he gets things wrong (and I certainly do), then you have to be balanced and identify those things he gets right. He's had a couple of absolute shockers this season, but overall, I think he's worked hard, looked sharp, integrated well into the new line up and most importantly found the onion bag. He's performed a lot better than I expected him to this season and if he keeps putting in the effort he's shown of late, then I believe he will be a great asset to the Champions of Europe (I make no apologies for my shameless repetition of this fact!).

I have faith in Torres and I believe that with the right mindset developing this season he can become incredible.

I think that Chelsea players in general are in a 'hangover' stage with the departure of Drogba & Anelka - the sooner that they all get over it the better.

End of the day this is a Torres thread so we're obviously going to put crtitiscms in here, As I've said its fair to expect more of a £50 million player also I've even said I was very pleased with his last two performances, infact they were great performances but I'm not gonna hide over the fact that he's not that deadly player he used to be.

I have faith in Torres and I believe that with the right mindset developing this season he can become incredible.

I think that Chelsea players in general are in a 'hangover' stage with the departure of Drogba & Anelka - the sooner that they all get over it the better.

If this is the hangover stage being top of the both leagues we are in then I can't wait wait for the real thing.