Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Ask yourself the question, do we really want to be like Sunderland? They've scored 5 league goals and Fletcher has bagged the lot. Torres has been criticized for not scoring enough goals, but if I'm honest I'm happier with things how they are and see it as far more healthy for the club that he hasn't scored all our goals. Sure we'd all be waxing lyrical if he had scored all 11 of our league goals so far, but that would put us in a very precarious position. If we are over reliant on one player then we will struggle when that player is out.

As it stands, we are scoring goals from all over the park and have had a stunning 13 different goalscorers in all competitions:

Torres, Mata, Cahill, Ivan, Lamps, Oscar, Cole, Luiz, Romeu, Ramires, Moses , Hazard, Bertrand.

And we still have Sturridge, Marin and JT to get on the scoresheet (and of course the prolific Mikel!)

Torres is our joint top scorer and overall is second only to Mata in goals+assists tally.

I do understand why Torres has been criticized, I have done myself, but this is mostly due to the ridiculously high standards he himself has set in previous seasons. The truth is though, the job he is doing is a valuable one at the moment. Yes he's had a couple of very poor games, but generally he has worked his lone striker role very well and by doing so, has allowed that stat of 13 different scorers to occur.

As critical as I have been, I am very pleased and satisfied that Torres is at our club and has a huge part to play in our season. I do think we need another striker, but not to replace Torres, moreover for cover/backup/assistance. If Torres and Sturridge are out, we've got a problem which needs fixing. Torres is a very talented lad and is starting to show his ability in fits and starts. He is without doubt an asset to the club and I for one am glad he's here.

We need to appreciate what the staff are trying to do at the Bridge. Our whole philosophy is slowly evolving and so far the signs are promising. We are not a one man team, we do not have to rely on one striker being on form or employ strikers that have only one dimension to their game, we play football, we play with style and pride, we back our lads and we win titles. We are the European Champions.

I agree aajblue, it's good that everyone is playing a part in our great start to the season so far, the last thing we need/want is to become a one man team. I think if he carries on playing like he has for the rest of the season I'll be happy, currently has 5 in 11 and involved in a sh*t load of other goals too.

I agree with those who say that we should not be a one man team and that it's good that several different players score goals, but at the same time, how often haven't we seen top teams struggle in games and then getting a goal from their top goal scorer?

It's players like that who can win their team those extra points that can mean the difference between winning the league and finishing 2nd or 3rd.

Its funny, every fan has the breaking point.That point where they finally get sick of of player not pulling their weight. For some its 1 game, for some its a month, for some its 1 and a half seasons or more. Even more interesting, the more they defend and stay patient by that player, the more angry and bitter they are when they finally run out of patience.

Obviously its more complex than this, but a striker is there to do one of two (or both) things. That is score goals and create goals.

Torres isn't scoring enough goals. Its great that the midfield is chipping in with so many, but that suggests if we had a Drogba style hold up striker to hold onto the ball, or someone who actually creates opportunities thru skill and selfless movement, that they'd score even more.

I want Torres to succeed. Hell, I have him in my fantasy team mostly because he's a nailed on starter here. But for mine his simply not doing enough. Once Sturridge is fit I hope he takes his given a fair shake of the sauce bottle and I hope that if Torres doesn't improve soon and the mighty 3 (Oscar, mata, hazard) keep performing, that we look at a striker that will actually look to help create and hold up the ball for them, instead of just looking to capitalise on their good work.

Its funny, every fan has the breaking point.That point where they finally get sick of of player not pulling their weight. For some its 1 game, for some its a month, for some its 1 and a half seasons or more. Even more interesting, the more they defend and stay patient by that player, the more angry and bitter they are when they finally run out of patience.

Obviously its more complex than this, but a striker is there to do one of two (or both) things. That is score goals and create goals.

Torres isn't scoring enough goals. Its great that the midfield is chipping in with so many, but that suggests if we had a Drogba style hold up striker to hold onto the ball, or someone who actually creates opportunities thru skill and selfless movement, that they'd score even more.

I want Torres to succeed. Hell, I have him in my fantasy team mostly because he's a nailed on starter here. But for mine his simply not doing enough. Once Sturridge is fit I hope he takes his given a fair shake of the sauce bottle and I hope that if Torres doesn't improve soon and the mighty 3 (Oscar, mata, hazard) keep performing, that we look at a striker that will actually look to help create and hold up the ball for them, instead of just looking to capitalise on their good work.

I suggest you watch our last 3 games!

Along with Mata he was our best player last night.

He made the first goal, won the FK for the second and worked like a trojan all night long.

With one striker up top you need work rate and endevour...Torres has been superb in that respect in our last few games.

Well done Nando.

I'm looking forward to a great season from Torres. RDM's support has been a great boost for him. He has dispensed with Drogba and Lukaku and named Torres his preferred striker. Torres also appreciates the support he's got from the fans and that also helps to boost his confidence and commitment. He appears to have settled in. With Mata, Hazard and Oscar in support I expect Torres to find the back of the net more often. As the old saying goes " Form is temporary but Class is permanent".

Torres is frustrating me because a large part of our support set the bar so impossibly and arbritrarily high for him that anything short of a Messiesque productive return is a dismal failure worthy of scorn.

Another large part of our support set the bar so low that getting up in the morning to tie his shoelaces is worthy of adulation and praise.

No matter how well Torres plays people's opinions will always be skewed to one end of the spectrum to maintain consistency, as they are more concerned about fighting their opinion on an internet forum.

So he missed a one on one, big deal. Drogba missed about two hundred in his career. Ronaldo scores 60 goals a season and misses a sitter virtually every game. Messi scores even more goals but couldn't score against Chelsea if there was an open net in a brothel.

There are two things to realise about Torres. The first one is that nowhere in his entire career could you have called him a "clinical finisher". Torres, like Drogba and many more strikers before him, is the kind of striker who will miss 5 chances and score two. He scored over 30 goals in his first season for Liverpool, but if you break it down game by game you will see that he tended to get braces and the odd hattrick rather than consistent performances in each game.

The second thing to realise is that while he is far from wowing the world with his performances (there are times when tying his shoelaces does seem an achievement) he is now creating chances for himself, slowly becoming more aggressive and actually attacking the ball instead of running away from it. As long as he continues this improvement from glorified winger to striker, i'll be happy and he'll end up with 15 plus at the end of the season.

I suggest people start trying to understand the "other perspective" instead of engaging in a meaningless debate which is more about protecting consistency in opinion and preconception rather than actual evidence.

Meanwhile, i'll continue enjoying picking the splinters out of my Hasselbaink sized, fence sitting arse.

I honestly dont care about missing a "sitter". Its just the way it was done. That first attempt was an honest to god joke, I mean just hit the ball ffs.

He just needs to take more shots on. I don't know how many times I've just been shouting 'SHOOT' at the screen.He'd have scored that if he made any decent type connection at all.

Torres is frustrating me because a large part of our support set the bar so impossibly and arbritrarily high for him that anything short of a Messiesque productive return is a dismal failure worthy of scorn.

Another large part of our support set the bar so low that getting up in the morning to tie his shoelaces is worthy of adulation and praise.

No matter how well Torres plays people's opinions will always be skewed to one end of the spectrum to maintain consistency, as they are more concerned about fighting their opinion on an internet forum.

So he missed a one on one, big deal. Drogba missed about two hundred in his career. Ronaldo scores 60 goals a season and misses a sitter virtually every game. Messi scores even more goals but couldn't score against Chelsea if there was an open net in a brothel.

There are two things to realise about Torres. The first one is that nowhere in his entire career could you have called him a "clinical finisher". Torres, like Drogba and many more strikers before him, is the kind of striker who will miss 5 chances and score two. He scored over 30 goals in his first season for Liverpool, but if you break it down game by game you will see that he tended to get braces and the odd hattrick rather than consistent performances in each game.

The second thing to realise is that while he is far from wowing the world with his performances (there are times when tying his shoelaces does seem an achievement) he is now creating chances for himself, slowly becoming more aggressive and actually attacking the ball instead of running away from it. As long as he continues this improvement from glorified winger to striker, i'll be happy and he'll end up with 15 plus at the end of the season.

I suggest people start trying to understand the "other perspective" instead of engaging in a meaningless debate which is more about protecting consistency in opinion and preconception rather than actual evidence.

Meanwhile, i'll continue enjoying picking the splinters out of my Hasselbaink sized, fence sitting arse.

Caveat - I am a huge Torres fan and have been since following Atleti and Torres during a year spent in Spain.

Great post that I absolutely agreed with 100%. Atleti coaches said Torres wasn't a natural finisher. Ferguson when he was looking at Torres before he left Atleti had concerns about Torres' finishing. Everybody laughed at that because Torres seemed to score easily against United. At LFC he made the goals look easy. I have no idea why but he did. Was he just hitting the damn ball when he was near the goal instead of thinking about it too much like he seems to do now? Was he just in a long hot streak? If I knew the key to unlocking those goals I'd email RDM and let him know. Instead I sit and watch like the rest of you and wonder "what the hell?!"

Some CFC forums I read it feels like some of the CFC internet fans would rather he fail so they can continue to be proven right. I don't quite understand that especially since he's wearing a CFC shirt. And then there's the Torres fans who say he was great even when he wasn't.

I watched the miss/non-shot this morning. As I said I'm a huge Torres fan but even I threw my hands up in disgust, wanted to know what the hell the problem was with him. All he needed to do was shoot instead of take another touch and dick around with the ball. I have no talent at all but even I know that. Just as I was getting ready to vent to a friend via text he goes and scores a nice header. Sometimes he makes it look easy and sometimes he makes the easy look so damn hard.

Damn Torres (said with mutual amounts of affection and frustration).

Thats true! BUT i still think we are frightfully short up front. Torres and Sturridge and Studge has hardly played because he is "injured" all the time. If Torres burnt out or got a long term injury we would be screwed. From going from 5 main strikers last season to only 2 this season is just stupid and we are damn lucky that Torres has stayed fit so far.

Where were all the people slating him yesterday, today? I don't see any posts from them... I misse the game, but he must of played well then.. See you all the next time we play and he doesn't score :good2:

Personally, I didn't think he had a particularly good game despite scoring. He doesn't look confident and he is so indecisive it's painful sometimes. It's as if he expects no-one to tackle him whilst he has a think about it and then, when someone does challenge him, he falls over and appeals for a foul.