Luiz In Midfield

Tommy26
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Does anyone else here feel that this has been a failed experiment ? his had two good games there, one against monterray a team from mexico and one against aston villa in what we all know was an absolute demolition job.

Too many times does he try the killer pass or the audacious shot from 35 yards out, but he lacks the real discipline of the role IMO and he hasnt brought this extra attacking option that he was apparently meant to add to the team. When you consider he is in there instead of Ramires, someone who is twice the play in the center of the park than he is then i think it is time to leave this experiment alone for a little while.

he was lucky to stay on the pitch against everton, was poor against norwich, corinthians and now against qpr.this isnt the time to be re-training players into new positions when you are so far behind the leaders of the comp with an outside chance of winning it, which after tonight im afraid could be all over. really up to us to take max points against the teams when we meet them in the league now and hope the likes of tottenham and arsenal do us a favour.

Does anyone else here feel that this has been a failed experiment ? his had two good games there, one against monterray a team from mexico and one against aston villa in what we all know was an absolute demolition job.

Not sure if it is failed, but as i mentioned in the oscar thread, i would prefer a natural midfielder to play in their. Square pegs round holes and all that

Luiz has looked like a central defender playing in midfield the last couple of matches. Too often he will play the hollywood ball or shoot wildly when better options are available, giving away possession cheaply. On the plus side he adds the muscle we are missing since the demise of Essien. As an experiment, he is ok against weaker sides who play open but generally lacks the discipline required in the role throughout a game.

I thought last night he kept getting in Lampard's way. He made a few nice passes, he really is a great dribbler and passer on the most part. It's his defensive shortcomings that worry me.

Regardless of his position.. his man marking skills and discipline can be terrible at times.

Edited by Zola

He is there for Mikel not Ramires. And in that respect, he brings a lot of mobility in the center of the park compared to Mikel. I'd be happy to have him ahead of Mikel in the role all days of the week. Luiz might have had less contribution in attack but his defending has hugely improved and his pace means he can cover for Ivan or Cahill when they go wandering forward.

I think this is a knee jerk reaction. He has played well there from what i have seen. People have been calling for an Alonso type player and with a little bit of time to adjust Luiz could be that player for us. I was one of the people who thought it would never work but ive been surprised at how good he as been there. My only concern is im not sure if he is happy playing there. He says all the right things like he is happy to play anywhere for Chelsea but is he really? Only David knows.

No disrespect but chalobah has had a number of good games in the championship, that doesnt mean he is anywhere near good enough (yet) to be starting for us each week.

I hope Watford get promoted and we loan him to them next season. See how he copes then.

Guest Sindre

He is not a midfielder and it`s clear as day. No sense at all when it comes to positioning, and he still have that horrible tendency to absolutely bullrush against the ball every time, while leaving acres of space behind him for the opposition. Lost count over how many times he did that last night. Not to mention his pass-success rate that is at about 60-70 percent i can imagine. Mikel is a hundred times better as DM.

No disrespect but chalobah has had a number of good games in the championship, that doesnt mean he is anywhere near good enough (yet) to be starting for us each week.

I hope Watford get promoted and we loan him to them next season. See how he copes then.

Ive seen 6 watford ges this year and hes been motm in all bar 1 of them. Alot of the top players dont need to spend season after season on loan. How many games did ashley cole, lampard, terry, beckham, scholes, gerrard, rooney spend out on loan?

I think he is that good, just needs a manager to show real faith in him.

I think you will find that all but maybe Rooney and Scholes spent time on loan.

Rushing him through just doesnt make sense. He is still very young. Loan moves make sense, let him make his mistakes and learn the game before throwing him into the lions den at Chelsea.

Yep, im still compleltey unconvinced by Luiz in midfiel , but its worth another half a dozen games before making a full judgement - one thing is for sure is id prefer him to Mikel. But thats not much of a yardstick. Cant help but wonder if its a position we are looking at adding to into the next few weeks.

Id also agree he was woeful last night. But to be honest hes not alone there.

The guy has only had a couple of games in this position, give him time. The only one to blame for last night was the FSW, he's worse than CR for tinkering. He needs to tinker Torres no one else.

This thread = knee-jerk reaction. Everyone was woeful against QPR

To be honest mate, i didnt like him playing against Everton, watching him his discipline was awful and like someone above has said he tried the hollywood pass or shot too much and his positioning for a central midfielder is poor. If anything he cares to much, we all know he is an extremely passionate guy but i fear this transcends onto the football field and that tries to win matches on his own by bursting into midfield or making last ditch tackles etc he needs a cooler head

and this thread wasnt based on last night, like i said, i wasn't happy with any of his performances bar a below bar sub teams from mexico and a game we won 8 nil !  and people are saying they don't mind him playing against smaller teams, well QPR are bottom of the table and the man was woeful last night !

This isn't trying to single luiz out because of our loss last night but i feel it was one of many factors and experiment that isn't working, there's probably a good reason why he hadn't been tried in the centre of midfield by other managers and we're seeing it now.

Luiz in midfield is an experiment which will take time, I feel. He's shown some positive signs, but he will need to learn a lot to be able to play in midfield regularly. He's too wasteful with the ball still and needs to learn to take the correct option with the ball. This can only come through experience and therefore time. I do like how he puts his foot in a lot though and gives us some added physicality in the midfield, but again he's still prone to rash moments as he was at CB.

I think you will find that all but maybe Rooney and Scholes spent time on loan.

Rushing him through just doesnt make sense. He is still very young. Loan moves make sense, let him make his mistakes and learn the game before throwing him into the lions den at Chelsea.

between all those players mentioned theres less than 30 appearances out on loaned combined. im not saying rush him, im saying at the end of this season he will have played a substantial number of games on loan, and that next year we should be showing a little faith in him.

if he carries on playing the way he is, another loan next season would be holding him back imo.

Even another loan in the Premier league?

I think if Watford went up it would be best for everyone for him to go on loan there for the season.

Look at what its done for Lukaku. Last season there were people saying he was a waste of money etc, now they are calling for him to be brought back and replace Torres in the team.

No it's not a failed experiment. I think he's been either ok or very good when he plays there. He's is much better at it than Mikel so unless we find a proper DM then i say keep playing him there. I'm not a fan of Mikel at all, and i don't think when he returns he should go straight back into that team.