Who else is fed up of hearing how Chelsea were lucky in the Champs League?

enigma

I was reading an article earlier today, which included the writer mentioning our Champion's league win. Then some moronic commenter's (probably Tottenham, Arsenal, or Man City supporters) still talking about how we were lucky and just parked the bus against Barcelona etc. It winds me up that these morons are saying crap like this! I think they forget how close we were to winning it the years before we won it. ARRGHH, I know these people do it to get a reaction out of people, so I held back and didn't comment. But do you ever get fed up with other team's fans still putting Chelsea's Champ's league win down?  

I think it's mainly cos of the amount of sheer luck we did get. Messi missing the pen, Bayern missing a pen, Drogba equalising right at the end, holding on at Nou Camp despite 10 men and Barca throwing the kitchen sink. Torres scoring a one on one... The list is endless. But i honestly believe our name was on the trophy.

we weren't the best team in europe last year, but up till then we were the best team never to have won the trophy after our many runs to the semi's and final of 2008...

no-one outside chelsea seemed too upset with our bad luck which robbed us many times in the past and we simply had the deficit repaid on our run last season...

in saying that, there was no more spirited and determined squad than our lot...the refusal to be beaten, to not give up despite the odds, was a lesson to all those watching...one would have thought gooner fans especially should have taken note for example having seen their team fold like a pack of cards every time the going gets tough...and while we were lucky when the ball hit the woodwork etc, there is nothing fortunate in cech just being a brilliant keeper, cole being in the right place at the right time to clear things off the line and Ramires going on a brilliant run to chip the keeper at the nou camp, not to mention drogba's awesome ability to score when it matters most...

besides, as many people will say, every team needs luck to win - funny how liverpool's success in 2005 is glorified when they had many things go their way...utd in 1999 and 2008 were outplayed in the final and relied on woodwork to save them, but you don't hear about that so much or barca's robbery at the bridge in 2009...people are just bitter cos it's chelsea's turn to finally get the luck they deserve and their hands on the trophy

we weren't the best team in europe last year, but up till then we were the best team never to have won the trophy after our many runs to the semi's and final of 2008...

no-one outside chelsea seemed too upset with our bad luck which robbed us many times in the past and we simply had the deficit repaid on our run last season...

in saying that, there was no more spirited and determined squad than our lot...the refusal to be beaten, to not give up despite the odds, was a lesson to all those watching...one would have thought gooner fans especially should have taken note for example having seen their team fold like a pack of cards every time the going gets tough...and while we were lucky when the ball hit the woodwork etc, there is nothing fortunate in cech just being a brilliant keeper, cole being in the right place at the right time to clear things off the line and Ramires going on a brilliant run to chip the keeper at the nou camp, not to mention drogba's awesome ability to score when it matters most...

besides, as many people will say, every team needs luck to win - funny how liverpool's success in 2005 is glorified when they had many things go their way...utd in 1999 and 2008 were outplayed in the final and relied on woodwork to save them, but you don't hear about that so much or barca's robbery at the bridge in 2009...people are just bitter cos it's chelsea's turn to finally get the luck they deserve and their hands on the trophy

That was perfectly said.

Music to my ears. You shouldn't get wound up by it just embrace it. It clearly still hurts them so much seeing us win the CL. It was the same after winning the League in 2005, only rather than call our win "lucky" (as they couldn't justifiably say it was) they just called us "boring". 8 months on and they still can't get over it. :-)

Of course we were lucky, every team who wins the Champions League has luck. In fact, any team that wins any trophy has some luck.

ManU getting back to beat Bayern 2-1, Liverpool getting back against Milan, Barca getting Ovrebo as their 12th player and so on.

As for us parking the bus, I do not see a problem with that. We played the way we had to play to get the result we needed.

If it meant us winning trophies, I would not object to seeing us play that way in every game.

And apart from the "luck" and the defensive tactic, there was also the amazing attitude from the players. Getting back over and over again when most people thought it was over. Simply fantastic.

i don't get this 'lucky' part when it comes to things like the penalty's, it's not as if some freak act of nature conspired to guide Robben's kick the way Cech decided to dive, or sent Messi's penalty just that bit too far into the corner. And any portions of luck we may have got along the way, no more than any other team that has won the thing, should be overshadowed completely by that performance in the Nou Camp

i don't get this 'lucky' part when it comes to things like the penalty's, it's not as if some freak act of nature conspired to guide Robben's kick the way Cech decided to dive, or sent Messi's penalty just that bit too far into the corner. And any portions of luck we may have got along the way, no more than any other team that has won the thing, should be overshadowed completely by that performance in the Nou Camp

It's enough to hear Cech talking about how he prepared for penalties to know that luck is only a small part of them.

I've heard it morphed into the phrase that we're the "worst Champions League winners ever".

They can all f**k off.

As The Brit perfectly said, no one said anything when Barca had Orvebo help them and we were completely robbed (lucky that the ref helped them through the second semi-final leg which they should have been soundly beat). No one said anything about Manu's win over us in 2008 because of JT's slip. And the list goes on.

Yeah, ok. We're the first defending champions to be eliminated in the following year's group stage. So, who really cares? We had a difficult group. Shakhtar and Juventus deserved to go through. It still doesn't change that we're the Champions of Europe. And it doesn't change the fact that we won it last season.

It's just people being jealous and bitter towards our club. It's not anything new.

The Brit again said it best in his earlier post. You won't find a more determined group of men than our winning team from last season. And finally, we got what we deserved. Were we lucky? Yes, as are all the Champions League winners.

After the amount of bad luck we've had with ghost goals, ovrebo, and slipping on the decisive penalty, i'd say we were more than overdue.

And no-one wins the CL without luck, show me the last team to win the CL with bad luck.

It's enough to hear Cech talking about how he prepared for penalties to know that luck is only a small part of them.

That's very true. I believe he studied the Bayern players penalty kicks and was able to make a calculated decision as to how and where they were going to take their shots.

That's very true. I believe he studied the Bayern players penalty kicks and was able to make a calculated decision as to how and where they were going to take their shots.

Yes. He even guessed how Robben would take his penalty in extra time. The only one he hadn't studied was Neuer, but I think he made a calculated guess on that one and was, of course, correct.

Yes. He even guessed how Robben would take his penalty in extra time. The only one he hadn't studied was Neuer, but I think he made a calculated guess on that one and was, of course, correct.

That's what I thought, my memory just goes in my old age.  :laugh2:

They just wont believe it. But you shouldn't get mad about it. You can always tell what everyone knows: best team always wins.

No team or player were screwed by referee's either in the run.

People always refer to the Barca tie. We outscored them. 3-2. They had their tactics we had ours and ours was better. End of story.

I love it when people say we were "lucky". It just goes to show how jealous and envious people are of our success in the Champions League. 

To win in a lot of competitions, luck is one of the elements that requires success. If Chelsea were lucky, then let's say Man Utd were lucky in 1999 and 2008, Liverpool were lucky to comeback in 2005 against AC Milan, Porto was lucky to have a weak side in the UCL final in 2004 and Milan were lucky to have won on penalties against Juventus in 2003.

People say that some of these are 'luck', but the team that wins the UCL isn't always the best team. It's a matter of which team performs best when it matters most. 

I dont understand how we were lucky ? we went to games with a gameplan and stuck too it.

Messi and Robben missing their penalties aren't luck, Bayern and Barcelona missing clear cut chances is not luck either.

What really bothers me is that we had few chances and we put them away, the finishes of ramires and drogba in the SF and Final in particular were superb, really clinical finishing, THE FACT is Barcelona and Bayern weren't clinical enough, if they cannot win at home, against a team with ten men, their captain ! with one recognised centre half, while also missing a penalty then sorry but thats not good enough.

If Bayern can't win at home after having the majority of possession and going up with 8 minutes to go, having a penalty awarded in extra time while also going up in a penalty shoot out then thats not good enough either.

The reason we are The Champions of Europe is simple. WE were clinical, WE fought back from defeat and WE put away or chances. Goals win football matches not possession

Both those teams did not take their chances or games by the scruff of the neck, theres no luck involved in them miss hitting a shot and seeing it go wide, its poor finishing on their part, There's no luck when petr cech saves a penalty, is Petr Cech saving it because of his athleticism and will to work hard and study each penalty taker.

We are the deserved champions of Europe. Simple. :Chelseaoldbadge:

As others have said, show me a team who has ever won a cup without any luck?  Of course we were lucky. We were also plucky. We were fighters. We never gave up. etc etc

I think the lucky comments do not related to the luck that most teams recieve when winning a competition. It is more a comment about how outplayed we were yet still managed to come out victorious. I  have accepted that we didnt win the champions league in a style that was necisarrily appreciated by neutral football fans. We were never going to win over a majority of voters with our style in last years competetion. Against Barcelona and Bayern we sat back and invited them to break us down. We never looked to take the game to them in an attacking sense. We didnt look convincing against Benfica, Napoli, Barcelona or Bayern in the final, and that we "stole" the wins is commendable to the the teams spirit. In none of those games could people say "Chelsea dominated the game, played superior football and played the other team off the park".  Again, that we won was commendable, and i take nothing away from the effort that our players gave. We did what we needed to do with arguably lesser talented players. However, it was not asthetically pleasing, we were negative in our tactics, and on the balance of play against Barca and Bayern, it could be argued that we stole the win.

Do i care what other people think? No....

Do i see where the other people who say we were lukcy are coming from? yes.

We were lucky......BUT.....We created that luck........I dont give a f**k who says were lucky ..We won it...PERIOD.......Any oppo fans that bore on about being lucky i like to retort by saying their team will probably never get into the same position to be LUCKY n win the EC

I think it's mainly cos of the amount of sheer luck we did get. Messi missing the pen, Bayern missing a pen, Drogba equalising right at the end, holding on at Nou Camp despite 10 men and Barca throwing the kitchen sink. Torres scoring a one on one... The list is endless. But i honestly believe our name was on the trophy.

Ooh, yes, that one was a huge shock to us all!

Sometimes a teams name is on the cup and nothing gets in the way. Call it luck or whatever you want, I believe we all get the odd break now and again, but you can't win a competition on luck alone. As a Liverpool fan I can recognise that during 05 there were moments that went for us, but we also played some outstanding football during the CL games. Same for everyone. As was posted earlier, people that want to put others success down to just pure luck are being a little bit blinkered.

Archived