Potential 3rd/4th Playoff Match vs Arsenal

Jonty

If Arsenal beat Newcastle 2-1 and we draw 0-0 with Everton, we will be on equal points, goal difference and goals scored as them.

Apparantley the Premier League will not take into account our head to head record (2 wins to us) and instead there would be a playoff match at a neutral venue with the winner taking 3rd place and the automatic CL qualification, the loser having to go into the CL playoff.

Anyone else think this would be ridiculous given our hectic schedule already this season? And that we already have a post-season tour of the US planned, I wonder whether the club is even contractually obligated to play in this game. I think we would win because Arsenal have been w**k all year but considering we've won both home/away fixtures this season you'd think that would be used to distinguish who has been the better team.

It could be a very real possibility though, Everton seem to frequently draw with us and with Hazard possibly injured and Mata looking tired, a 0-0 could be on the cards, while a 2-1 Arsenal win is also very possible.

Thoughts?

It's been such a ludicrous season so far that I'm not surprised about this at all. Seemed too good to be true that we only had to endure 2 more games with that fat cvnt. Won't surprise me at all if we're dealt with this curveball. Such a shame we've had to squirm this year, which has seemed like an age, and now (potentially more).

This is music to the ears of the conspiracy cookes in their basements who believe in the FA vs Chelsea conspiracy. And to be frank, situations like this make me half agree with the bar stewards.

Either way, now that that's off my tits, if it does come down to it, we should beat them depending on injuries etc. But blimey, astonishing that this is a possibility.

just finished watching Arse v Wigan game and was just texting about this with a mate

prem league rule book page 93 rule c.13   game would be played at a neutral ground....Wembley  ???

would be a cracking way to end the season and turn over the gooners 3 times in 1 season in the prem

still prefer to win both the remaining matches

If it did happen which i doubt, Wembley cant be used as it has play off finals & England v Ireland there in May, so where would it be played?

It'll be madness if we were made to play another game that'll be what 70 games? this season, personally i hope it doesnt come to that.

My guess would be Wembley. The FA would be rubbing their hands at charging us fans extra money for that game. Problem would be when would it be played? You have got the play offs being played and the Champions League final so not sure when they would fit it in.

Chelsea players should know how important the game against Everton is, so should the fans. The fans need to make a lot of noise and the players need to give 110%. We don't want 4th place for f***s sake! If they go out and put on a half a$$ed effort, then they don't deserve a CL spot. They might be tired from all the games, but it's the last game of the season and they need to go out there and give at least 110%. Let's be honest, we should comfortably beat a team like Everton at home. 

I would have taken 4th in a heartbeat before we had played our games against Utd and Spurs.

Still the case, third will be a bonus and we should be able to do it but it wouldnt be a disaster with 4th, Champions League all that matters.

WHen did the rule change?

I thought it was still top 2 got automatic places and 3rd & 4th went to qualifiers?

I thought it used to be top 4 automatic places, but a few years ago 4th had to go into the final qualifying stage.

Archived