Benatia

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I actually don't think we need to sign Benatia considering we have good depth in the defence as it is and versatile defenders like Ivanovic and Azpilicueta can play various positions if someone like Terry, Cahill or Luis is injured or suspended.

Ivanovic has the luxury of being able to play RB and CB. Azpilicueta can play RB or LB as he showed last season as well.

I think Terry and Cahill will occupy the centre back spots regularly with Zouma as back-up and Luis will definitely play on the left-back as Ashley Cole's replacement. Ivanovic and Azpilicueta will be fighting it out for the right-back spot unless Luis breaks down which would mean Azpilicueta plays on the LB again. 

It's quite difficult to see why we need to sign another defender at the present time. I think we have all our options covered at the moment and the defensive depth to challenge for the title this season.

Edited by Jezz

if so it is f**king stupid of us to have sent kalas out on loan when he looked every bit the part.

zouma thus far has been appalling at CB. it's jose though, so nothing would shock me. defend first, score second. wait for it.

Respectfully disagree about Kalas... don't get me wrong he had a good game, but he only played against Liverpool and even then his overall ability as a CB wasn't really tested because we parked the bus, i.e. Andreas Christensen would have looked the part in the same game.

Edited by the special one

Respectfully disagree about Kalas... he only played against Liverpool and even then his overall ability as a CB wasn't really tested because we parked the bus, i.e. Andreas Christensen would have looked the part in the same game.

Do feel Zouma has been very poor pre season though

Do feel Zouma has been very poor pre season though

Absolutely, from what i've seen he needs to work on his positioning... but he's only 19 and does appear to have immense potential - a season learning from JT can only help his game. Personally I think Brano can provide adequate cover for Gaz/JT so i'm not sure we need to splash out £30 mill for Benatia. I'd like to see Zouma given a chance if we need to park the bus or perhaps against 'lesser' opposition.

Edited by the special one

I know Cahill-Terry partnership was the best in the league last season but Terry is not going to improve any further he's only going to decline and in worst case if any one of them gets injured we're left with Zouma and Iva, the former is raw as we've seen in pre-season and I know Iva is solid and etc but he has not played in that position from long and the last time I remember he played there he made some mistakes which lead to goal.

So I really think Benatia will be a really good signing he's a solid defender and is 27 at his peak.

Guest Sindre

Absolutely, from what i've seen he needs to work on his positioning ... but he's only 19 and does appear to have immense potential - a season learning from JT can only help his game. Personally I think Brano can provide adequate cover for Gaz/JT so i'm not sure we need to splash out £30 mill for Benatia. I'd like to see Zouma given a chance if we need to park the bus or perhaps against 'lesser' opposition.

Well if you are parking the bus the last thing you want in defence is a guy that is prone to losing his man. The potential is there ovbiously and his physical attributes are crazy but he has a lot of work to do.

Hmm, we did not move to sign Mangala because his cost was high at 32mill, but we are willing to spend on Benatia?

Being after a defender rather than another forward, in spite of what our strengths and weaknesses were last season, does seem rather odd.

Well if you are parking the bus the last thing you want in defence is a guy that is prone to losing his man. The potential is there ovbiously and his physical attributes are crazy but he has a lot of work to do.

Theres no 'losing your man' with parking the bus. Theres no space behind the defence to run into, and its basically zonal marking. Thats why weaker sides use that tactic.

Youre implying that defending when parking the bus is harder, which is, frankly, ridiculous.

Edited by Lane

If any of you watched serie a last season, you would of noticed Roma overachieved a bit like Liverpool but Roma were good defensively and that was because of benatia, he reads the game like terry and he is very good at marking and heading. This will properly be terry last proper season. 30 million is a very good price for a defender like benatia.

I vant understand benatia or varanne stories. We have plenty of defenders. Personally I think Ivan showed in the game against Liverpool that he is fully up to central defensive duties.

I would be starting him in front of terry.

We clearly need more out and out striking options.

If we sell mikel we will also be short on defensive midfielders unless van ginkel can deliver a lot more than I have so far seen from him

This was allegedly said by Mourinho after yesterday's game: "No. We are not interested (in Benatia). We have John (Terry), (Gary) Cahill, (Branislav) Ivanovic, (Kurt) Zouma, and we want to make (Andreas) Christensen, step by step, training with us, every day, playing a few minutes when it is possible, playing with the Under-21s and training with us as a first-team squad member. We are fine."