• Fabregas
    • Willian
    • Oscar
    • Hazard
    • Costa
    • Schurrle (sub)
    • Drogba (sub)
    • Luis (sub)

Fabregas was probably the only creative player who showed anything today and he worked hard defensively too.

Mikel did OK in defence but the expectations on him are so low that I think people are exaggerating his performance today. I did that too but looking back he really didn't do anything exceptional.

I said before jokingly that Drogba would soon be our first choice striker and today he showed that isn't all that far fetched, obviously he can't play every game and Costa is allowed an off day here and there but he'll certainly play his part over the course of the season and I trust him to do just that.

MOM for me today even in the short time he was on the field.

I thought Mikel did ok today and but for the glaring miss may have warranted the MoM, goals though win matches and great chances in a tight match need to be taken. Mikel's miss ultimatly changed the course of the game so he misses out. Didier took it for me with his all round contribution in the final 20 mins.

Don't understand how everyone can say Mikel was great. As they showed on MOTD, he made lots of mistakes and didn't even come close to Matic. That missed header was also horrible.

MOTM for me: Fabregas.

Edited by BuBbA

MOTD didn't exactly give Mikel a fair assessment... yes i'm not sure what he was up to getting dragged out of position for Colback's chance (the point of a holding defensive mid imo is to protect the CBs not chase the opposition into wide positions), but in possession thought he did well.

Edited by the special one

Don't understand how everyone can say Mikel was great. As they showed on MOTD, he made lots of mistakes and didn't even come close to Matic. That missed header was also horrible.

MOTM for me: Fabregas.

Maybe because in peoples opinion he was our best player, and he did make mistakes, so did every other player.

Mikel for me, came in and looked assured despite playing very little football so far this season.

He kept moving and made sure he was always available for a pass and made sure that the ball kept moving.

Did his job well which is more than can be said about half the team.

Maybe because we actually watched the game and not some terrible highlights

Maybe because in peoples opinion he was our best player, and he did make mistakes, so did every other player.

The problem is his mistakes were costly. He misses an open goal and they go up the other end and score. Then in the build-up to the second he simply doesn't take the player out, something Makelele and Matic would've done instinctively. Instead the player goes on and Fabregas has a kick at him, gets booked, misses a game and Newcastle score.

Maybe it's harsh to pick out little things and other players were clearly at fault too, but it's those little things that Matic has in his game and the reason we have a better chance to win matches with him.

Mikel starts his first game in 20-odd matches and we lose our first game in 20-odd matches.

He missed a goal and the goal then scored by Newcastle is his fault? Come on.

I don't think I said that. What I did say was that he had an open goal opportunity that he didn't take, and immediately after that Newcastle scored. Now if he scores then the game is totally different, but the second incident didn't happen because of the first.

For their second goal, Matic or Makelele take one for the team in all likelihood. Matic actually got booked for exactly that on Wednesday, but Mikel didn't, Fabregas tried (getting booked in the process) and Newcastle then go on to score.

I personally think that if you put Matic in those positions then he has a far higher chance of making the right action. That's what he brings to the team and why Mikel probably won't start another league match for a long while (if all players are available).