Thibaut Courtois

Krc-fan
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

De Gea was way worse than Courtois when he first came to england at a similar age. His main weaknesses were also crosses and organisation of his defence. 23 year old goalkeepers cant possibly have the experience required to be truly world class. Let's judge Tibo after 3/4 years in the prem, not 1 and a half. Cech was a freak in that he came in and was instantly world class. Tibo is a damn good goalkeeper, and his struggles just show how lucky we were to have such an incredible keeper like Cech playing for this club

This.

I thing Courtois has been doing very well behind a shaky defence.

• 1 month later...

Another poor display yesterday...have to say I was one of the people on here saying club had to go with younger man and make painful decision to let Cech go...but Courtois has done little over past year to justify that decision yet...shot stopping hasn't been as good as it was at Atletico and his command of the area leaves a lot to be desired...fcuked up against PSG and Southampton - the former was when he didn't need to come off his line, the latter when he came out too late...needs to raise his game...not sure he's as good as he thinks he is...certainly not at the moment

Another poor display yesterday...have to say I was one of the people on here saying club had to go with younger man and make painful decision to let Cech go...but Courtois has done little over past year to justify that decision yet...shot stopping hasn't been as good as it was at Atletico and his command of the area leaves a lot to be desired...fcuked up against PSG and Southampton - the former was when he didn't need to come off his line, the latter when he came out too late...needs to raise his game...not sure he's as good as he thinks he is...certainly not at the moment

Agreed. Injury changes everything, as a young man he will have felt invincible. He has now had his first proper setback, how he recovers both mentally and physically will determine if he goes on to be a great or one of many journeyman players.

It should also be remembered his sending off in the opener triggered a chain of events that resulted in the boss losing the plot and getting fired. Defining moments in a young lads career.

He has many fans that big him up, but i'm sorry to say, he just isn't as good as he people hyped him up to be. When he makes a good save, people rave about him and say he is one of the best in the world, but he makes too many mistakes for me. He doesn't command the penalty area, he isn't as strong as he looks, his decision making when coming off his line is 50/50 and he pushes the ball back into the danger zone far too often. Him pushing the ball into the danger area is something that has been part of his game since his Atletico days and it's something i was worried about and pointed out back then too.

Begovic was doing fine in goal for us when Courtois was out injured, i think he should come back in. Courtois performances are costing us points and if he keeps it up he could cost us a place in the next round of the Champions League. He was at fault for Cavani's goal in the first leg and if he doesn't get his decision making right he could cost us again.

He has many fans that big him up, but i'm sorry to say, he just isn't as good as he people hyped him up to be. When he makes a good save, people rave about him and say he is one of the best in the world, but he makes too many mistakes for me. He doesn't command the penalty area, he isn't as strong as he looks, his decision making when coming off his line is 50/50 and he pushes the ball back into the danger zone far too often. Him pushing the ball into the danger area is something that has been part of his game since his Atletico days and it's something i was worried about and pointed out back then too.

Begovic was doing fine in goal for us when Courtois was out injured, i think he should come back in. Courtois performances are costing us points and if he keeps it up he could cost us a place in the next round of the Champions League. He was at fault for Cavani's goal in the first leg and if he doesn't get his decision making right he could cost us again.

I think that's extremely harsh. No goalkeeper is perfect, let alone a 23 year old one. It was a tough one today because the cross was perfect and the team was caught on the counter. He had to come for it, but he probably couldn't get both hands on it so you're talking about him having to get something on it and hope for the best. Maybe he could have tipped it up but then you've got to worry about someone coming in from the left of the box.

He's a quality keeper and he's shown that on a number of occasions. He'll bounce back.

Edited by ShedEnder91

I think he has really lost that commanding presence he had last season. He used to catch nearly every cross that came into the box, which takes alot of the pressure of the defence. He doesn't seem to be having that dominating presence at the moment. Made a fantastic save from shaqiri though.

I think there is a problem with the defence this year though, we just don't look solid anymore.

I'm not sure what the answer is, we have zouma, christiensen, and ake to possibly come in, but I do feel like we are going to really miss terrys leadership and organisation, and there isn't a player out there we could buy, that could replace him.

It might be a case of us having a 'you score 1, we'll score 2' attitude in the next couple of seasons, before we finally get a defence that could rival the ones we've been blessed with in the last 10-15 years.

I think that's extremely harsh. No goalkeeper is perfect, let alone a 23 year old one. It was a tough one today because the cross was perfect and the team was caught on the counter. He had to come for it, but he probably couldn't get both hands on it so you're talking about him having to get something on it and hope for the best. Maybe he could have tipped it up but then you've got to worry about someone coming in from the left of the box.

He's a quality keeper and he's shown that on a number of occasions. He'll bounce back.

But he does it pretty much every game. Every time he is forced to make a few saves, you can guarantee 1 or 2 is going to be pushed back into the danger area, straight back towards the opposition. When he came out for that cross today, he has to punch that out of the penalty area. He's a goalkeeper, he's got to be stronger. Now that our defense isn't as good as last season he is being exposed more and more. To be honest, i'm struggling to find one thing that Courtois is exceptional at. He's an ok shot stopper, not amazing, for his size he doesn't reach things well or has the strength against tough opposition, his command of the area is average, his kicking is poor and his decision making off the goal line is 50/50.

The good thing is that time is on his side, so he has plenty of time to improve on the things he get's wrong and improve on the things he is good at. We got rid of the best goalkeeper we have ever had for him, so i really hope he does get better.

Unlucky that Courtois didn't manage a better clearance. Had to get something on it, since there was a Stoke player waiting for the cross at the far post. Wouldn't lay the blame on him. Much more annoyed at Willian for losing the ball in the first place. The goalkeeping position has not been the issue this season. Anyway, for intercepting crosses, Cech hasn't been the that good lately.

Just for the sake of comparison, here is the goal conceded agains Stoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQfiDrXu1TE

and Swansea's second goal against Arsenal:

Unlucky that Courtois didn't manage a better clearance. Had to get something on it, since there was a Stoke player waiting for the cross at the far post. Wouldn't lay the blame on him. Much more annoyed at Willian for losing the ball in the first place. The goalkeeping position has not been the issue this season. Anyway, for intercepting crosses, Cech hasn't been the that good lately.

That was Cech's first mistake in months though, Courtois has been making many mistakes for the past 2 months.

That was Cech's first mistake in months though, Courtois has been making many mistakes for the past 2 months.

Not that I'm doubting you but have you been watching Arsenal regularly enough to know that for certain? I saw Cech's game v West Ham, which was back in August I know, and that was a worse performance than Courtois has put in all season.

Also seems to me that people have forgotten the first 6 or so months where Courtois was very often the difference between a win and a lost or the games where he kept the scoreline down to a respectable amount. Recency bias and all. 

But he does it pretty much every game. Every time he is forced to make a few saves, you can guarantee 1 or 2 is going to be pushed back into the danger area, straight back towards the opposition. When he came out for that cross today, he has to punch that out of the penalty area. He's a goalkeeper, he's got to be stronger. Now that our defense isn't as good as last season he is being exposed more and more. To be honest, i'm struggling to find one thing that Courtois is exceptional at. He's an ok shot stopper, not amazing, for his size he doesn't reach things well or has the strength against tough opposition, his command of the area is average, his kicking is poor and his decision making off the goal line is 50/50.

The good thing is that time is on his side, so he has plenty of time to improve on the things he get's wrong and improve on the things he is good at. We got rid of the best goalkeeper we have ever had for him, so i really hope he does get better.

I think you're really being rather harsh on him. No he doesn't do it every game because if he did, he would've been dropped. I don't think any keeper who makes the same mistakes every game is going to keep getting selected. This was a guy who when he first came to the club, people were lauding as the second coming of Pat Jennings because of his ability to come and claim the ball. I think the cross from Shaqiri is underrated. It's pacy but it's got a whip on it that takes it slightly away from Courtois as he comes for it which maybe explains why he missed his punch, but this is a learning experience.

He doesn't have the great protection that Cech had here for his first few seasons but he does have time on his side and he's already well on his way to being a great player. We're not a very good team at the moment and we need to build around the likes of Courtois going forward, not drop them in a tough, brief moment.

He is a good keeper but not quality. Quality keepers don't punch balls to opposition players to get rebound. The sort of confidence I had in the aging Cech I don't have it in Coutois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTUPds4riM

I will still take Cech and Begovic over him. I think the fact that he came back from injury and walk straight into the starting lineup even though Begovic has been doing fine made him overconfident.

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious, but All players make mistakes, and goalies mistakes are the most costly.

Courtois Needs to get back on the training ground and practice, practice, practice his punching ( IMO, he needs more power and more awareness of The direction of where he's punching the ball to )

To be fair, He's still learning ( the premiership is a lot harder than the Spanish league)

But he's our future and he should improve, but at the moment, he is still a long way off from the greatness that was Peter Bonetti and Peter Cech.

He is a good keeper but not quality. Quality keepers don't punch balls to opposition players to get rebound. The sort of confidence I had in the aging Cech I don't have it in Coutois.

Cech could make mistakes too. In fact he made a big one in the 3-2 defeat at Stoke a couple of seasons back. 

Courtois is still a good keeper and made a fantastic save from Shaqiri yesterday when we were 1-0 up. To focus solely on that error when the goal was the result of so many factors is a tad unfair, especially when Courtois has the potential to be truly world-class.

Not just in hindsight but a year ago, a lot of fans think that Cech should have been persuaded to stay at Chelsea with a further 1 year contract extension, and Courtois should have been number 2 to Peter.

But it looks like decisions at Chelsea fc are being made more and more for cold clinical business reasons.