Gonzalo Higuain

Socrates

‘Chelsea are making a £30million transfer offer to sign Gonzalo Higuain, according to reports.

‘The Blues are desperate to bring in another proven goalscorer this summer to complement Diego Costa.

‘Manchester United loanee Radamel Falcao has been in talks about a move, but reports in Italy say a £30m bid is going in to sign Napoli ace Higuain.

‘Arsenal and Manchester United are in talks to sign the Argentine, but Chelsea are putting hard cash down on the table to do business.’

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/02/chelsea-making-30m-transfer-offer-to-seal-gonzalo-higuain-deal-5227599/#ixzz3byoYwn2P

Nope, do not want. He has a good record but he can be immensely frustrating at times and go through stretches where he misses absolute sitters. I can't remember who it was against (probably Dnipro), but I was watching Europa League highlights of one of Napoli's matches a while back and it was basically a montage of him missing easy chances, and he tends to have those sorts of games far too often. Plus, he's at his peak and I don't really want us to spend 30m on a 2nd choice striker who isn't going to get much better and isn't currently good enough to usurp Costa. I'd rather us spend that sort of money on a Lacazette type - young, versatile, up-and-coming forward that should be getting better and could actually challenge Costa in the future.

I'd be fine with him going to Arsenal if they're gonna spend on another striker. Don't think he's enough of an upgrade over Giroud for them to reach the next level. Rather they get him than someone like a Benzema.

The Jose quote about him is hilarious and hopefully a sign that this won't happen.

He never said that.

You're right. Looked it up and it turns out Jose was misquoted. For the record, Jose said: “Higuaín is the least vain – if he could, he would come to work-out in pyjamas.”

Which is very different. But not as funny.

You're right. Looked it up and it turns out Jose was misquoted. For the record, Jose said: “Higuaín is the least vain – if he could, he would come to work-out in pyjamas.”

Which is very different. But not as funny.

Is it possible? Someone admitting he was wrong? On internet forum?  :biggrin: No, props to you, seriously. If anyone is interested, it was this interview those quotes were taken from

Like who?

Just for arguments sake, Icardi. 

Finished joint top goal scorer in Italy this season, is 5 years younger, probably wouldn't have as high of a salary demand and could be more easily coached into our play style because of his age and is less likely to expect first team football every week. 

That said, I don't think dropping £30m on a striker is something we need to do, it isn't really an area of weakness for us when we have Costa and Remy already who have some of the best goals to minutes ratios in the league. 

A decent central midfielder to provide cover/competition for Matic and Fabregas is more important in my opinion and a good quality winger also. 

• 8 months later...

Apparently Higuain has rejected a move to Chelsea for £40.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-transfer-news-gonzalo-higuain-rejected-move-to-stamford-bridge-as-he-would-be-second-choice-a6868991.html

Would you see him playing together with Costa as he used to play in R Madrid with Benzema? I wouldn't mind, probably better than Pato...

Apparently Higuain has rejected a move to Chelsea for £40.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-transfer-news-gonzalo-higuain-rejected-move-to-stamford-bridge-as-he-would-be-second-choice-a6868991.html

Would you see him playing together with Costa as he used to play in R Madrid with Benzema? I wouldn't mind, probably better than Pato...

i am not surprised. i knew we were trying to cut back, but bloody hell. 

Archived