Farewell Bowie

loz
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

There have obviously been loads of Bowie tracks on the radio this morning - and it's just great song after great song.  I was never into his albums (might have to address that) but he never had a dud single.

As has been said, a real legend.  RIP.

I have just got home after a ferry crossing from Portsmouth, and switched on the telly to get the news, and heard this.  I couldn't take it in at first.  Unbelievable. I can't find the words to express how aggrieved I am on his behalf!  What a loss to the world.

There have obviously been loads of Bowie tracks on the radio this morning - and it's just great song after great song.  I was never into his albums (might have to address that) but he never had a dud single.

As has been said, a real legend.  RIP.

Do you know this one, BQ?  One of my favourites

A star in every sense, truly unique and one of the finest artists of all time. He certainly made the world, and indeed my life a more interesting place.

He just released a new album too. He was saying goodbye, and we didnt even know it.

RIP Starman

Still not really sinking in. Christ he only just released an album. A farewell gift to us all.

I said this elsewhere but will repeat myself. It's probably the celebrity death I've always hoped, stupidly, would never happen. If one singer ever suited immortality it was probably Bowie.

Still not really sinking in. Christ he only just released an album. A farewell gift to us all.

I said this elsewhere but will repeat myself. It's probably the celebrity death I've always hoped, stupidly, would never happen. If one singer ever suited immortality it was probably Bowie.

I read the news last night before bed, and sat up and read twitter and listened to the links people were posting.  It struck me as astonishing that for an entire hour no-one had posted the same song into my feed.  I feel that shows just how impressive Bowie was; that he meant so much to so many people in so many different ways.  A True Chameleon of music, and art.

I don't know if anyone knew he was suffering from Cancer.  And now it makes his latest album even more poignant.  I've not listened to it, but it sounds as if he was talking about dying, and looking down from heaven.  I'm not sure i'll be able to listen to it with dry eyes when the time comes.

Vale Bowie - a terrible shock for many of us who grew up listening to him: such an icon. An important  & oddly underrated musician who was never afraid to experiment & to herald other musicians from all genres. Here's what he was listening to on his ipod in 2010 (c/- The Guardian):

I've chosen the songs that I've been playing the most over the last month. Here they are in no particular order.

Stay with Me by Lorraine Ellison

Ellison only got to record this goose bump-making classic because of a Sinatra cancellation at the studio. The vocal build and release on this track is galvanising. Writer Jerry Ragovoy also wrote "Time Is On My Side".

El Ninõ – For with God No Thing Shall Be Impossible by John Adams; Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Willard White, Dawn Upshaw, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, conducted by Kent Nagano

Just over a minute long and propulsive like a storm. I want to crush furniture. The emotional in search of the divine.

Junker's Blues by Champion Jack Dupree

Simple, beautiful New Orleans piano. This 1941 song was the blueprint for Fats Domino's 1949 hit "The Fat Man" and probably played a part in the making of Professor Longhair's "Tipitina".

Nixon in China: Act I, Scene 1; 'Soldiers of Heaven Hold the Sky' by John Adams; Orchestra of St Luke's, Edo de Waart

Adams's minimalism disguises the rich romanticism of his melodies. Ever ascending, rising through the clouds.

Embroidering Pouch by Peng Liyuan

Hugely huge in China. Peng holds the rank of major general in the People's Liberation Army. I have a thing about Chinese folk music, OK?

All These Deserters by Boxharp

Mystical country. An eerie yellowing photograph.

Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin) by Scritti Politti

Who could dislike this glistening 1984 beauty? The upside of the 80s.

Dinner at Eight by Rufus Wainwright

There aren't that many son/father songs but this is the best of them as far as I know. Rufus is just simply one of the great writers.

Different Trains I: America-Before the War by Steve Reich; Kronos Quartet

One of the late 20th century's most affecting works. I love the use of speech as a source for melody. But it's so much more than a concept, it's also impossibly moving.

Blue Skies by Josephine Baker

I'm not a big Baker fan but there's something about this performance that touches me. I think it's the break in her voice among all this gaiety and optimism.

Gathering Storm by Godspeed You! Black Emperor

GYBE are among my, erm, two favourite Montreal bands, Arcade Fire being the other. All Montreal bands have around nine members, I believe.

Sonny's Lettah (Anti-Sus Poem) by Linton Kwesi Johnson

The great Kwesi Johnson at his saddest. This forceful slice of narrative is part of the continuing evolvement from griot through the Last Poets to Mos Def.

Get Around to It by Arthur Russell

Quite strange but atmospheric. The late Arthur Russell was supplying all the background effects on his electric cello.

Sénégal Fast-Food by Amadou & Mariam

Let's dance. Saw this on Africa Channel or maybe Link last year and play it at least once a week. What time is it in Paradise indeed?

Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet: Tramp with Orchestra by Gavin Bryars; Hampton String Quartet, Michael Riesman and Orchestra

This will either drive you up the wall or you will produce some amazing drawings while listening to it. You could probably cook a fish to this as well.