Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2016/2017

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

It's incredible how one manager and one team's fortunes can change so quickly nowadays. From a miracle title win to an ignominious sacking under 12 months later. Wow.

As for harsh sackings, Carlo's wasn't as harsh as it looked. We got 71 points in the league and played very poorly for much of that season. In other seasons we wouldn't even have come 4th.

The harshest ones I can think of were Chris Houghton at Newcastle (although Alan Pardew overperformed for a while) and Sam Allardyce at Blackburn. Both were doing respectably with fairly limited sides. The fact that Allardyce was replaced by a complete non-entity was an even bigger joke. 

Nigel Adkins at Southampton was a bit harsh, but justified with hindsight. 

27 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Last season was supernatural though, right now they are where they belong. Other than that N'didi, their signings have been poor. Over £40m for Slimani and Musa is beyond laughable. 

I think the vast majority of people would agree the Carlo sacking was harsh though.

Even when they were in sh*t under Pearson till late they still performed, what they have served IP this season is awful compared to that let alone last season.

It looks harsh further along in the future we go, however the performances or lack off all season plus no inspiration in the dugout had a lot of Chelsea fans wondering if it was time for fresh impetuous, I can't speak for here but on Talk Chelsea fans were split almost to the extent Arsenal fans are with Wenger now.

I wouldn't have complained if he got a third season to make amends (I would have taken a drop in league position if our performances were better) but equally I can't say I was too unhappy when he got replaced by the at the time young managerial prodigy.

OSTRICH ARMY!

I keep suggesting Hodgson to the Leicester fans I know (half-seriously, half to annoy them), and they all look horrified when I do. Who could say no to a man who got Fulham to a UEFA Cup Final? Champions League would be in the bag!

8 hours ago, mojo said:

beware what you wish for

Celta Vigo-Krasnodar
APOEL-Anderlecht
Schalke 04-Borussia Mönchengladbach
Olympique Lyon-Roma
Rostov-Manchester United
Olympiacos-Besiktas
Gent-Genk
Copenhagen-Ajax 

Genk V Gent sounds like a thriller in the making! 

17 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

One of the worst tackles i have seen in some time from Dele Alli. This is as close as it comes to breaking someone's leg without actually doing it.

Mauricio Pochettino defended his young star, saying: 'He was wound up, he was fouled three second before. It was a clear foul. 

'The action is coming very soon after and it's a bad tackle. I think then it deserved the sending off. He knows. That action always can happen in football.
'Only one year and half he's played in Tottenham in the Premier League. All that he achieved in that short period is because he's a special player. He's a special boy. He has unbelievable personality and character.
'For that he's a great player. In the same way he is how he is. Because he's very passionate about playing football. It's only an action in football that sometimes happens. 

There is being passionate and then there is being an outright thug. Alli is the latter. He has plenty previous for losing the head and lashing out and last night was no different, he has that nasty streak in him which means a tackle like that is always likely when he's wound up.

Nasty piece of work but English media's darling at the minute.

As for Ranieri, it's unfortunate and what Ranieri did was amazing but I feel like the criticism is a bit harsh.

I doubt anyone would expect Leicester to finish in the top 6 this season (midtable would've been acceptable), but the run they are on is seriously bad and doesn't look like ending. If a new manager can save them from the drop then surely they would've made the right decision to send Claudio packing?

1 hour ago, Blueblur said:

I hope you mean 'monkey' as in what a silly idiot he has been and not anything else...

Genk V Gent sounds like a thriller in the making! 

Genk v Gent - a comnentators nightmare. 

I like the look of Lyon v Roma - that could have been a good final. 

Turkey v Greece with Besiktas and Olympiakos could be a tasty one.

I don't if you guys here know many Spurs fans but I just can’t really understand their mindset. They all think of themselves as supporters of a big club, one which has been dormant for a few decades, yet they seem completely indifferent about the cup competitions, domestic or European. They make such a big deal about qualifying for the top 4 yet, yet when they get there and ultimately underwhelm, no one actually seems to be too bothered. The Europa League is then seen primarily as a hindrance, even though it’s one of the few competitions they could actually win and would get them back into the Champions League which they were so eager to play in in the first place. If Spurs fans think they support such a big club then it’s about time they started acting like one and took cup competitions seriously.