Should The #26 Jersey Be Retired?

JT_<3
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Should CFC Rest The #26 Shirt After JT Leaves?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should CFC Rest The #26 Shirt After JT Leaves?

• Yes
    • No

Definite yes. We did it with Zola & there's no reason why we shouldn't with Terry. I think the reason we didn't with Lamps & Drogba is that number 8 and 11 are quite sought after and players joining the club would often have those as a preference. Whereas 25 and 26 are a bit more niche.

1 hour ago, Batshuayi said:

Definite yes. We did it with Zola 

Did we? I don't remember seeing anything official about that.

I don't think we should retire any numbers. We've been a club for over 100 years, and hopefully will be for another 100, players will come and go over that time and they should be able to try and write their own legends in whatever number they want.

20 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Did we? I don't remember seeing anything official about that.

I don't think we should retire any numbers. We've been a club for over 100 years, and hopefully will be for another 100, players will come and go over that time and they should be able to try and write their own legends in whatever number they want.

It hasn't been official, but we haven't had a number 25 since that's for sure and there's no reason why it shouldn't be reissued. 

If he had number 1-11 I would say a definite no, those numbers (and probably 12-20 too) should never be retired under any circumstances. 

I think we will take the same route as we have with Zola's 25, ie not officially retire the shirt but not allocate the number for a very long time. 

42 minutes ago, chelseagirl1 said:

Not sure about retiring as such but I think it would be a nice gesture to 'rest' it for a year maybe just so he isn't immediately replaced and then from 2018/19 it can be reintroduced.  

Half baked :smile: 

With regard to Zola's number 25: I think it's more a matter of players not picking it - for whatever reason - than that it has been made unavailable out of reverence for Zola. Number 26 may go the same way, whether it has had a good rest or not.

Edited by Valerie

6 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Half baked :smile: 

With regard to Zola's number 25: I think it's more a matter of players not picking it - for whatever reason - than that it has been made unavailable out of reverence for Zola. Number 26 may go the same way, whether it has had a good rest or not.

Have to say that if I was coming in to the squad as a defender I wouldn't want a shirt number that's been associated with someone like JT for as long as it has, not unless I already played under that number at my previous club.

Retire it, we'll never see another Terry. The way the club operates now IMO doesn't allow for it and I just think that Terry is an iconic player at this club, he'll go down in the history of Chelsea as the captain who led us to be one of the biggest sides in the world and despite what opposition fans say one of the best centre backs to play the game. I'm not a huge fan of retiring jerseys in all honesty but for JT there has to be an exception IMO.

He's one of our own and the number 26 will always be JTs number for me.

5 minutes ago, havelschayes said:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/607442/Chelsea-John-Terry-Shirt-Premier-League-Antonio-Conte-Eden-Hazard

congratulations some of you made it to a daily star article, dreams do come true

I'm very upset my uniquely sensible, down-to-earth opinion didn't even get a mention :sad:   Perhaps the Daily Star doesn't do sensible :wink: