Chelsea Vs Roma (CL) Wed 18 Oct 2017 KO 19:45 GMT

Teams seemed to have figured out our system. They press us high and we can't seem to handle actually playing out from the back. Man City's passing from the back to beat Napoli's high press last night was absolutely brilliant. If that was us, we'd have been slaughtered. We always seem to pass it back to Courtois and either put him in a terrible position or have him punt it up the pitch, which only sees us retaining possession barely half the time. I'd say only quality teams can do that to us but Palace pressed us off the pitch last weekend. You can be sure Watford will do the same this weekend. I really worry about this team, especially if we don't beat Watford. I know we've had a lot of injuries but Conte's tactics, team selection and substitutions leave a lot to be desired. His in-game changes when they're the right ones often come too late. Why did we only decide to press high after Hazard's second goal? It should have been a half time change. That's 3 games without a win now.

3 minutes ago, big blue said:

I don't want to keep harping back to the transfer window, but if conte was planning on using 352 alot this season, we really should've bought a 5th centre midfielder. 

I actually worry for conte, roman will not take being outplayed at home. 

Well, Conte did say he didn't want to sell Matic. Matic may have wanted to leave, but it wasn't like he handed in a transfer request. The board didn't back the manager in that moment and small things like that are enough to cause problems that filter through the whole club.

Edited by Scott Harris

1 minute ago, Barrettinator said:

Teams seemed to have figured out our system. They press us high and we can't seem to handle actually playing out from the back. Man City's passing from the back to beat Napoli's high press last night was absolutely brilliant. If that was us, we'd have been slaughtered. We always seem to pass it back to Courtois and either put him in a terrible position or have him punt it up the pitch, which only sees us retaining possession barely half the time. I'd say only quality teams can do that to us but Palace pressed us off the pitch last weekend. You can be sure Watford will do the same this weekend. I really worry about this team, especially if we don't beat Watford. I know we've had a lot of injuries but Conte's tactics, team selection and substitutions leave a lot to be desired. His in-game changes when they're the right ones often come too late. Why did we only decide to press high after Hazard's second goal? It should have been a half time change. That's 3 games without a win now.

I hate it when we play it back to Courtois so often, we always seem to be passing it back to him when the goal is right behind him. I remember the days when this was a massive no no for any team to be attempting. If you are passing it back to the keeper, you pass it away from the goal, not straight towards it. It's only a matter of time before Courtois miss controls that ball badly and we concede a goal from it, he doesn't have the best touch as it is.

8 minutes ago, Fendieta said:

The only dressing room issue would be frustrated players after a third poor game.  I cannot see a Mourinhoesq meltdown going on.  Our midfield gets run ragged without Kante and teams seem to be clued up against our formation.  That and our lack of depth and there are miserable faces all round.

To be honest, even when Kante has been there we haven't looked good this season, he's looked like a headless chicken at times this season. I think it's more to do with tactics than the players we have on the field at the moment.

It's two simple words in my opinion.......high press. That is our biggest issue and it's up to Conte to figure out a way for us to cope with it.

I came back from office as fast as i could to watch the second half - I am glad i missed it. I have a few questions for the people who watched the game.

1. Did our players look lethargic and second best to the ball ? Did it look like they were tired and in need of rotation ? 

2. Did we try a new formation or the same old ? 

3. How was David Luiz in the midfield ? Did he solidify our midfield ? 

4. Did Morata look effective ? 

5. What is our biggest worry ? Who should we target in January Window? Attack or Defense ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am really worried nor thinking about the Watford game.  

1 minute ago, Womble said:

Got a feeling Conte gets the sack Carlo returns we go back to 433 win the CL finish 4th and everyone's happy....:JC_doubleup:

Looks like Conte's had enough with all the begging for new signings. The spark has gone, those wild celebrations are a thing of the past. He'll wait for the sack because the severance package will be better.

I know he's no world beater, but Drinkwater's injury really made things difficult for us. It was the key acquistion with a view of using him in a rotation in midfield. Who knows, if he was available, Kante may have stayed fit and we wouldn't have had to use Cesc so much. 

It's just a combination of a so-so transfer window and a bad luck.

3 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I hate it when we play it back to Courtois so often, we always seem to be passing it back to him when the goal is right behind him. I remember the days when this was a massive no no for any team to be attempting. If you are passing it back to the keeper, you pass it away from the goal, not straight towards it. It's only a matter of time before Courtois miss controls that ball badly and we concede a goal from it, he doesn't have the best touch as it is.

It's quite puzzling. Azpilicueta is a mystery to me. You get certain times where he pulls off a brilliant cross to Costa/Morata out of nowhere that leads to a goal or a brilliant pass into midfield that starts an attack and you assume he has the quality to do that consistently. But then when presented with the opportunity to do that with opposition players pressing him, he immediately turns around and passes it back to Courtois. Passing the ball forward to beat a press is actually the best way to beat it. When you pass it back, you're making their pressing more successful. When you have Courtois punt it, you're doing the same. I have zero hope in Cahill to do anything progressive with the ball. He'll pass it back to Courtois 100% of the time when he sees a press. He f**king passes it to Courtois even with no press. The most progressive passing he does is sideways. Luiz is the only one in that defence who actually looks forward. Christensen too to a lesser extent. Azpilicueta is a let down in that department because I know he has the quality to be a bit more progressive.

Just now, Scott Harris said:

To be honest, even when Kante has been there we haven't looked good this season, he's looked like a headless chicken at times this season. I think it's more to do with tactics than the players we have on the field at the moment.

It's two simple words in my opinion.......high press. That is our biggest issue and it's up to Conte to figure out a way for us to cope with it.

I know what you're saying, but at least he will close down midfielders.  Time and again tonight we were backing off to our own box and I was cringing every time.

The high press is a huge issue for us, and playing balls around in defence is half our problem.

1 minute ago, abramovich said:

I know he's no world beater, but Drinkwater's injury really made things difficult for us. It was the key acquistion with a view of using him in a rotation in midfield. Who knows, if he was available, Kante may have stayed fit and we wouldn't have had to use Cesc so much. 

It's just a combination of a so-so transfer window and a bad luck.

How long is he out for ffs? He was signed September 1st, wasn't he? We're getting to the end of October and he still hasn't kicked a ball. 

1 minute ago, Barrettinator said:

It's quite puzzling. Azpilicueta is a mystery to me. You get certain times where he pulls off a brilliant cross to Costa/Morata out of nowhere that leads to a goal or a brilliant pass into midfield that starts an attack and you assume he has the quality to do that consistently. But then when presented with the opportunity to do that with opposition players pressing him, he immediately turns around and passes it back to Courtois. Passing the ball forward to beat a press is actually the best way to beat it. When you pass it back, you're making their pressing more successful. When you have Courtois punt it, you're doing the same. I have zero hope in Cahill to do anything progressive with the ball. He'll pass it back to Courtois 100% of the time when he sees a press. He f**king passes it to Courtois even with no press. The most progressive passing he does is sideways. Luiz is the only one in that defence who actually looks forward. Christensen too to a lesser extent. Azpilicueta is a let down in that department because I know he has the quality to be a bit more progressive.

His defense first mentality is what made him so good but you're right. It'll be better if Fabregas drops deeper to pick the ball and pass it forward.