FA Cup Final 2018 Chelsea V Man Utd Sat 19th May 17:15 UK

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

6 hours ago, Nibs said:

They have given that impression but we can only hope that the FA Cup still means enough for everyone to up their game.

I know it's not the competition it once was. It's the time of year where older f**kers like me have conversations about remembering FA Cups from years gone by. The whole experience - flicking over from BBC to ITV and then back again depending on what they were showing in the build-up. Saw a post on the Vintage thread showing photos of a street in 1970 - with banners wishing Chelsea good luck. That's what it was all about and sadly, it's now nothing like what it was (although no doubt it would be if some lower league clubs and their supporters make the final again at some point). But the players will no doubt have got tickets for family and friends at Wembley so we can only hope they won't want to disappoint and lets hope we make it a Final to remember for all the good reasons.

Unfortunately Nibs those days have long gone - I remember sat in front of the B/W TV as a kid all day - when they started at the Hotels with the players etc ...an entire day's experience...in those days I think the FA Cup was more valued than the League?   

18 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Unfortunately Nibs those days have long gone - I remember sat in front of the B/W TV as a kid all day - when they started at the Hotels with the players etc ...an entire day's experience...in those days I think the FA Cup was more valued than the League?   

I think the league has always been the big one but I think back then the Fa Cup was probably more valued by fans and non fans. More like the World Cup where people who won’t normally watch football would watch it. Of course I’m not old enough to know this for sure but from what I’ve spoken to people who are this is the impression I get. 

The FA Cup was special, I wish it still was. It means a lot to me personally mind.

25 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

For me in the 70's/80's the FA Cup was certainly on par with winning the League. For many years it was a whole day thing, as has been mentioned. Nowadays it seems the FA Cup has less meaning than winning the old League Cup.

the 94 final, how sad was that, waited all that time to get into the final only to see a dominant chelsea get not one but two penalties awarded against them, just to make sure the wind got proper taken out of their sails, what a surprise!!  oo la f**k off cantona !! (and ellery)

the 97 final, awesome !! actually sprained my ankle running around the house when robbie scored !!

this final i think chelsea can win, if and its a big if, the players turn up for it, last year against the goons they never did, i just hope after this dismal season they try to make amends. got no problem if they lose going down giving it all they have.

Go back to last seasons final, all the media thought we had to do was to turn up at the Stadium & we'd beat Le Arse comfortably. Even most of their fans thought they'd lose, after their poor season 'run in'.
Come the day, alas we didn't turn up, & could easily have got beaten by 4 or 5 goals.
Yep, agree that Jose is a man who knows how to win a cup final, but as Jimmy Greaves stated 'football, it's a funny old game'.
Might be down to my brain cells dwindling by the day, but i'm quietly confident.

2 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Problem is we will probably go 1-0 up and then defend 

Absolute certainty, if we manage to score. 

On 14/05/2018 at 12:06, Valerie said:

It's going to be a dreadful match, so the neutral will switch the telly off, if they  have switched it on in the first place :biggrin:

Oh to be a neutral!

It's going to be a car crah with all of us fans having to rubber neck at the carnage

15 hours ago, Valerie said:

And another thing: what's wrong with 3pm kick-off, how is 6.15pm an improvement :mad: ?

I believe it's for the Chinese market more people will watch if it's at a more convenient for them. I hate the razzamatazz of recent years it's not the Super Bowl when the captain lifts the cup you can't see anyone because of the masses of ticker tape. 

42 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

I believe it's for the Chinese market more people will watch if it's at a more convenient for them. I hate the razzamatazz of recent years it's not the Super Bowl when the captain lifts the cup you can't see anyone because of the masses of ticker tape. 

China is 7 hours in front so ^ that can't be true.

3pm uk = 10pm China

5:30pm = 12:30AM China

22 minutes ago, coco said:

China is 7 hours in front so ^ that can't be true.

3pm uk = 10pm China

5:30pm = 12:30AM China

Yes sorry might not be the Chinese market but it's definitely for the benefit of TV ratings. As Valerie said 18.15 kick off in Europe will mean more people watching it at homes and in pubs and bars. Apparently BT and the BBC paid 300 million for the 5.15 kick off.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/10187282/FA-Cup-back-on-BBC-but-final-will-controversially-remain-a-5.15pm-kick-off.html

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

The FA Cup is still a very special trophy for me.

I stated following us in 1974 and we never won it until 1997.

I used to watch the likes of Coventry and Wimbledon win it and really wish it was us.

Come on Chelsea.

yes first cup final I watched on tv was Fulhamv West Ham in 1975, and from then on, it was tv on at 9:30am for cup final Grandstand and I sat and watched it throughout the day.

For me it started to lose its popularity after 1997, maybe as we had finally won it, but also In my eyes sky ruined it, because  if they don't have the rights to something, they totally ignore something, as if it doesn't exist and the youngsters tuning into sky got brain washed into thinking it was a bit meaningless competition.

I will be there on Saturday and am expecting nothing else but a United win. First time in a long while we will be firm underdogs for an fa cup final, takes the pressure off I guess. To be honest though I am concerned our support will get shown up by Uniteds in the stadium, so I just hope those attending are loud and proud on Saturday. Remember in 94 our allocation was only about 23k while utd had a greater allocation, it was dished out on average gates then, our support though was magnificent and totally out sung United.

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

yes first cup final I watched on tv was Fulhamv West Ham in 1975, and from then on, it was tv on at 9:30am for cup final Grandstand and I sat and watched it throughout the day.

For me it started to lose its popularity after 1997, maybe as we had finally won it, but also In my eyes sky ruined it, because  if they don't have the rights to something, they totally ignore something, as if it doesn't exist and the youngsters tuning into sky got brain washed into thinking it was a bit meaningless competition.

I will be there on Saturday and am expecting nothing else but a United win. First time in a long while we will be firm underdogs for an fa cup final, takes the pressure off I guess. To be honest though I am concerned our support will get shown up by Uniteds in the stadium, so I just hope those attending are loud and proud on Saturday. Remember in 94 our allocation was only about 23k while utd had a greater allocation, it was dished out on average gates then, our support though was magnificent and totally out sung United.

It was weird being up here in Scotland there was no live coverage of either the FA or Scottish Cup Final until 1977, when the Scottish Cup Final was shown live.

It wasn't until the replay of the 1981 FA Cup Final. This was on a Thursday night and it was shown live ! 

I remember in 1977 the Scottish and FA Cup Finals were played on different Saturdays and yet there was no love coverage of the 1977 FA Cup Final shown in across Scotland.

Yet my Uncle lived down in Ayrshire on the West Coast and he received the live coverage every year.

This was due to Ulster TV transmitter covering the area where he lived !