Londonisblue

UEFA Nations League 2018/2019

It's so frustrating watching Kane pull out on any loose ball where it isn't a nailed on certainty he'll get on the ball first. 

I'd also say that it's looking pretty unlikely now that Rashford will be the wonder striker of the future that he's being hyped up as, despite the goal . Too many attempts powered straight at a static keeper from close up.

Kane was pretty crap tonight and I hardly noticed that Dele Ali was even on the pitch.  And God did we need JT to sort the defence out

Edited by Beerqueen

England must play rashford and shaw on a consistent basis! Get rid of sterling and alli and RLC should get something in that team ... BTW, Henderson, Dier and Maguire are dire in my opinion... But England yesterday can be proud !! They should have gotten away with a draw as they had as much (actually 1 or 2 more shots on target than Spain actually) opportunities as Spain. Plus the call on De Gea was bs ... A good game overall yesterday !

1 hour ago, Londonisblue said:

England must play rashford and shaw on a consistent basis! Get rid of sterling and alli and RLC should get something in that team ... BTW, Henderson, Dier and Maguire are dire in my opinion... But England yesterday can be proud !! They should have gotten away with a draw as they had as much (actually 1 or 2 more shots on target than Spain actually) opportunities as Spain. Plus the call on De Gea was bs ... A good game overall yesterday !

Can’t diagree with your assessment of Henderson and Dier and I suspect the hype around Maguire is misjudged but he’s an ok defender.

RLC is still not doing enough on a regular basis and whilst Shaw has started the season well he hasn’t been playing to a consistent standard to get in ahead of Walker as for Rashford he flatters to deceive in that his finishing is woeful and whilst Kane and Ali are the  golden boys they look tired albeit only 4 weeks into the season. Di you see Kane even break into a sprint?

The disallowed goal had similarities to the disallowed Southampton goal against us in the FA cup  and once Welbeck moved, which he did , the call was only was always going to be in De Geas favour.

I personally thought Spain were playing at a far higher level than England and in truth the game bored me.

A stark dose of reality for England then, after a massively over-hyped world cup, where they scraped past one team they should beat easily, with a stoppage time goal, beat a pub side, had to go to penalties against Colombia and the 3 times they met anyone decent (Belgium twice and Croatia) they lost.

On 09/09/2018 at 11:19, Zeta said:

A stark dose of reality for England then, after a massively over-hyped world cup, where they scraped past one team they should beat easily, with a stoppage time goal, beat a pub side, had to go to penalties against Colombia and the 3 times they met anyone decent (Belgium twice and Croatia) they lost.

Just because England lost against teams better than them, it doesn't mean it was an over-hyped world cup. England exceeded expectations during the world cup. Nobody expected them to get to the semi final, nobody would have expected them to win a penalty shoot-out, nobody expected them to score 6 goals against one team, even if that team was a poor one, and they didn't choke like they usually do. After the rubbish we have had to sit through with England for the past 20 years, just getting out of the group should have been seen as an achievement.

If you're looking at England realistically, you would see that they are achieving as much as they can achieve at this point. What else can you ask for?

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Just because England lost against teams better than them, it doesn't mean it was an over-hyped world cup. England exceeded expectations during the world cup. Nobody expected them to get to the semi final, nobody would have expected them to win a penalty shoot-out, nobody expected them to score 6 goals against one team, even if that team was a poor one, and they didn't choke like they usually do. After the rubbish we have had to sit through with England for the past 20 years, just getting out of the group should have been seen as an achievement.

If you're looking at England realistically, you would see that they are achieving as much as they can achieve at this point. What else can you ask for?

I think the only thing England deserve credit for is getting past Columbia, and even then we/they only scraped through on penalties. Of course they deserve credit for getting as far as they did but as Zeta implies if you look at the quality of the opposition we faced they didn't exceed expectations, they just did what should be expected of them.

Edited by the special one

On 08/09/2018 at 15:39, enigma said:

Anybody else a bit annoyed Southgate hasn't even considered Mason Mount for the England squad? Comes off a good season for Vitesse and doing well for Derby, doesn't even get a call up. 

Who would he replace?

2 hours ago, Londonisblue said:

Do you think Southgate's tactics hampers England's progress ?

That's a double edged sword. Yes I don't necessarily think he's the greatest tactician out there and I think he isn't pro active with his subs; Croatia is my main point with that one. However he is the first manager since hoddle that has been a tactician. Unless we could get Howe in, and I'm not convinced he's an improvement, I don't see who's a better shout. 

7 minutes ago, zolawannabe25 said:

That's a double edged sword. Yes I don't necessarily think he's the greatest tactician out there and I think he isn't pro active with his subs; Croatia is my main point with that one. However he is the first manager since hoddle that has been a tactician. Unless we could get Howe in, and I'm not convinced he's an improvement, I don't see who's a better shout. 

Exactly what I thought. Unless the FA goes for a foreign gaffer (Conte for instance or the old arsene), I don't see a better coach for the job.

On 09/09/2018 at 11:19, Zeta said:

Thats over the top negativity as usual from you, it was not an over hyped world cup at all, and the results arent the only thing any hype is based on. they played much better, more open attacking football with a youthful side that genuinely has many fans optimistic for the future, the first time in ages. We lost to Belgium and Croatia but weren't massively outplayed.

21 minutes ago, enigma said:

Henderson/Dier/Delph. None of them provide much to the team at all. No creativity or goal threat whatsoever. 

So we just play without any anchor in the middle? none of them play the same role as Mount. Have you actually watched him play much or just seeing he has a few goals and assuming he's good. The lad is a number 10, if he's coming into the team its to replace Alli, Rashford, Sterling etc. none of which he is close to their level (yet).

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

So we just play without any anchor in the middle? none of them play the same role as Mount. Have you actually watched him play much or just seeing he has a few goals and assuming he's good. The lad is a number 10, if he's coming into the team its to replace Alli, Rashford, Sterling etc. none of which he is close to their level (yet).

He can absolutely be given a squad place. It's not exactly like our midfield is like France's. We are still getting overrun in midfield, Henderson and Dier aren't good central midfielders. Mount can easily play as a b2b midfielder, and I am sure he would succeed in that role. Maybe replacing Henderson would be too much, but Dier and Delph aren't that good at all and see nothing of them that would suggest they are at a good enough level to constantly get picked for England. Dier is living off two seasons ago when Spurs looked good and he was looking good, but Delph seems to get picked because he plays for City and looks good in that system. Southgate needs to find a new system because the current one is lacking. It's either change style or personnel because so far we've looked pretty average since Colombia in the WC. 

1 minute ago, enigma said:

He can absolutely be given a squad place. It's not exactly like our midfield is like France's. We are still getting overrun in midfield, Henderson and Dier aren't good central midfielders. Mount can easily play as a b2b midfielder, and I am sure he would succeed in that role. Maybe replacing Henderson would be too much, but Dier and Delph aren't that good at all and see nothing of them that would suggest they are at a good enough level to constantly get picked for England. Dier is living off two seasons ago when Spurs looked good and he was looking good, but Delph seems to get picked because he plays for City and looks good in that system. Southgate needs to find a new system because the current one is lacking. It's either change style or personnel because so far we've looked pretty average since Colombia in the WC. 

spot on. England's weakness at midfield hampered their performance against Spain. It will certainly be a problem against France or Croatia too. Actually, against Belgium this may not be that much of problem regarding the midfield alone. But of course, england's defense would suffer against the likes of Hazard and co just like every team unless the tactics are appropriate.

1 hour ago, enigma said:

Dier and Delph are playing back up to the more defensive role of Henderson. You definitely haven't watched Mount much because he is unbelievably light weight. 

A microcosm of the best and worst ftom RLC in the 1st 4 minutes. A great run, a lazy sloppy pass, good recovery, then lazily behind the play in a good attack. 

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

A microcosm of the best and worst ftom RLC in the 1st 4 minutes. A great run, a lazy sloppy pass, good recovery, then lazily behind the play in a good attack. 

Just lacks football IQ, not sure he'll ever have it tbh - seems more concerned with how he looks on the big screen.

35 minutes ago, dkw said:

If RLC ever wonders why he can't get in the Chelsea team perhaps he should watch his first 45 min performance.... lack lustre, no enthusiasm, lazily jogging around the pitch, doesn't get involved, has contributed f**k all so far....regardless of England being totally sh*te.