Will we sign a striker?

ozboy

Will we sign a new striker in January?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Will we sign a striker capable of making the League starting 11

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/01/19 at 18:53

I hope we will but there are no credible rumours right now. Strikers are hard to get in January although of course we did pick up Le Sulk (Anelka) years ago and he was a fantastic addition, won the golden boot one season, had pace and could finish we did sign the somewhat less illustrious Giroud last season and he puts everything out there every game. I wish there was another Anelka available

No chance, club will soldier on until end of season, days of throwing millions on a player are gone me thinks, to many mistakes and wasted money. Transfer window is only a month and our negotiation team are miles to slow and stubborn to get anything done that quick!!!

58 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

I got no problem playing Hazard up top for the rest of the season, gives Hudson Odoi more chances to play too. No one available in January so wait until the summer.

Spot on! If Sarri manage to get Hazard to become some kind of Mertens v2, which seems to be exactly what he is trying, I think we should just have faith in Willian, Pedro and CHO. A guy like Isco could be ideal as well. 

There is a real lack of quality strikers at the right age at the moment, all the top strikers in the world are in and around the 30 mark, with exception of Kane and Icardi. We aren't going to spend big fees, and massive wages on 30 year old players.

So maybe we would be better off with the false 9 approach in the long run, and concentrate on bringing in attacking midfielders or wingers with end product, to support hazard. Maybe bring in someone like fekir who can play across the front aswell. 

Sarri has managed to build a strong team without a recognised striker at napoli, so would we be a better team with 3 quality attacking midfielders, or with 2 quality attacking midfielders and 1 decent striker? 

I know a lot of fans are sceptical about playing without a traditional number 9, but I can see a lot of the big teams going down that route in the near future.

Hopefully not Wilson, not good enough to be a top level striker, no chance of it happening in January but Icardi would be the best possible option Imo, in the meantime someone like Mertens wouldn't be a bad shout, good goalscorer knows Sarri's system well, might entice Hazard to stay being a Belgium teammate of his aswell.

1 hour ago, ozboy said:

Callus Wilson gets a mention on espn but he’s had both knees reconstructed and I can’t see it myself. 

I hope you are right about Wilson but with our board you never know!, they bought Zappacosta Drinkwater and Bakayoko for over £80 million. Zappacosta cant even get a game in the Capital one cup by an Italian manager who knows Serie A like back of his hand, that tells you all you need to know.

Salah isnt a natural striker and he playing up top for Liverpool and he and the team are doing fine, don't see why we cant keep Hazard up there.

5 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

I hope you are right about Wilson but with our board you never know!, they bought Zappacosta Drinkwater and Bakayoko for over £80 million. Zappacosta cant even get a game in the Capital one cup by an Italian manager who knows Serie A like back of his hand, that tells you all you need to know.

Salah isnt a natural striker and he playing up top for Liverpool and he and the team are doing fine, don't see why we cant keep Hazard up there.

I think Hazard is our best striking option now yet he does pick up knocks so think getting Wilson would be good for the remainder of the season even if we decide to upgrade later.

A big summer ahead I think with Hazard staying or going.

10 hours ago, RMCM said:

Swap Morata + Cash for Icardi . . . pleeeeeeease. Never will happen though and we'll end up being linked with Hulk again or some nonsense

Now that Inter aint in CL, we must try for Icardi. Give them Morata plus Cash cuz in the summer he is most likely spain bound. The likes of Wilson is not the answer imo, plus both his knees been damaged a bit, one more injury and its not looking good. The times when strikers were floating around are long gone, so we must act fast when we can or lose out.

If it's a short term solution, then I hope not. If it's somebody for the long run who will be good and a regular starter, then I hope so.

I think we will sign a striker though, and I think we could get Callum Wilson. I hope we don't though, I would rather we saved that money and go for somebody big in the summer.

We should, but doubt we will. I still can't believe we helped Arsenal sign Aubameyang by loaning Michy to Dortmund that summer (or wast it Winter?). Now the market is very dry and unless the scouts unearth some hidden talent somewhere, it would be hard to get a good striker

22 hours ago, big blue said:

Really hope we don't waste money on a short term solution like Wilson or mertens. We already have 3 strikers that are good enough to be back up options, not point signing another. 

Save the money and go big in the summer.

This is a good idea on paper but signing a striker or not could very well be the difference between 4th and 5th place this season. Arsenal are right on our tails and we have a tough second half of the season. Wouldn’t be surprised if United could be back in the Top 4 mix either towards the end.

And missing out on CL again would be a disaster. We can deal with being out of it for a season here and there but if you miss out twice in a row you are playing with fire as a top club.

42 minutes ago, Sindre said:

This is a good idea on paper but signing a striker or not could very well be the difference between 4th and 5th place this season. Arsenal are right on our tails and we have a tough second half of the season. Wouldn’t be surprised if United could be back in the Top 4 mix either towards the end.

And missing out on CL again would be a disaster. We can deal with being out of it for a season here and there but if you miss out twice in a row you are playing with fire as a top club.

Signing a top striker could be the difference I agree, but Wilson isn't going to be the difference in my opinion.  I don't think he is better than what we have already. Put Morara or Batshuayi in that Bournemouth team, and they would get similar numbers.

Mertens seems to be the other we have been linked with, but I have doubts he would hit the ground running, new league, new country, faster pace, more physical, approaching 32. 

I'm confident this squad can finish top 4 as it is. 

2 hours ago, big blue said:

Signing a top striker could be the difference I agree, but Wilson isn't going to be the difference in my opinion.  I don't think he is better than what we have already. Put Morara or Batshuayi in that Bournemouth team, and they would get similar numbers.

Mertens seems to be the other we have been linked with, but I have doubts he would hit the ground running, new league, new country, faster pace, more physical, approaching 32. 

I'm confident this squad can finish top 4 as it is. 

This i agree with. Wilson is not going to cut it.

I think we have to in January. Links to Higuain today, links to Cavani last week. A lot of fans want Icardi but I don't see that as realistic.

I think we're in a Top 4 fight with Arsenal and Spurs and we don't want to be losing out to those two. We'd be better off sending Morata to Milan and getting Higuain for half a season in some weirdly arranged, Juventus ok'd swap.

Intrigued why Wilson is a target though. He appears to be a few levels below but maybe someone has seen something in him. (Lollichon once saw something in Ross Turnbull, so these things can go either way).

I think Wilson is one of a number of moving targets, in his favour he is British when we are likely to be moving on British home grown players. Next he had hit good form until recently though the double knee surgery he has had was news to me. I certainly agree on Icardi being an unrealistic target and in general getting good strikers tends to be tricky unless you spend big and even then is not guaranteed.

I have voted no because a first-XI striker doesn't seem to be realistically available. Higuain hasn't been all that great for AC Milan and Cavani/Icardi are IMO unrealistic for January. 

I don't rate Callum Wilson as a first-choice striker for Chelsea. He is a better finisher than Morata/Giroud but he's not big on pressing, his link-up play isn't that great, his movement/ball-control are on par with Michy's and his main weapon is his pace/acceleration. He would be useful against defences playing a high line, or against tired legs coming off the bench, but that's about it.

RE Tammy Abraham, has there ever been a high-scoring Championship striker who has come in and ripped up the Premier League right from the get go, especially playing for a top-tier PL side? Even Vardy took a couple of seasons to get going in the PL and as momentous as their achievement was, Leicester are not really a top-tier PL side. Putting pressure on Tammy to fire for a CL contender would just retard his development IMO.

Speaking of Vardy, he works hard off the ball, his movement has always been good (not great though) and his finishing/ball control are alright but what made him really lethal was his pace/acceleration on the counter-attack. He's begun to slow down in recent times and for mine Sarri's possession-oriented system doesn't really suit him. 

Mitrovic is basically a big target man in the Giroud mould, with better finishing but worse link-up play. His movement is not bad and his ball control is surprisingly good but like Giroud he is too slow to consistently get on the end of deliveries into the box. Not ideal first-XI material. 

Not mentioned here is Piatek, but I'm not sure he has the movement/ball control to succeed at the highest level. His finishing is impressive though. Maybe he'd do well for a mid-table PL side. 

Archived