Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

I am watching a lot of old replays of games and season reviews. We've had some impressive squads. Even the backup/depth players have been very good. Those times are probably gone now.

Looking at how well we do with these young boys it is very impressive. This is said a million times already here but just watch some of the old games and you see the names we've had.

It’s typical this happens just when we are nurturing youth players into first teamers. Now they’re losing valuable time and development due to coronavirus. It’s annoying, but I hope everything will be back to normal by next season but even then it’s looking like a big ask.

5 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

It’s typical this happens just when we are nurturing youth players into first teamers. Now they’re losing valuable time and development due to coronavirus. It’s annoying, but I hope everything will be back to normal by next season but even then it’s looking like a big ask.

Typical for what exactly? 

All teams and all  players at every level are in the same situation, why fret about this.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

The chat about Coutinho joining us is becoming more persistent. One to watch.

Not my favourite choice yet neither was Fabregas and he did well for us.

Not convinced he's the right signing but we likely won't get Sancho so good to have alternatives.

Jeez we'd have some danger from range with Coutinho and Ziyech shooting from outside the box on either foot. We haven't had that for a long time. 

On 05/04/2020 at 11:25, Strider6003 said:

The chat about Coutinho joining us is becoming more persistent. One to watch.

Not my favourite choice yet neither was Fabregas and he did well for us.

RLC and Mount are clearly better and even Barkley has been great in the second part of the season, we don't need Coutinho we do need however a striker.

30 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

RLC and Mount are clearly better and even Barkley has been great in the second part of the season, we don't need Coutinho we do need however a striker.

I'd be inclined to agree that we don't need him ... plus he's only 5'8" and we need a bit more physicality in that role for me ...

41 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Dont be silly, Coutinho is currently better than Mount and RLC and a level above. Barkley has had about 2 good games in the second half of the season, doesn't suddenly make him better than Coutinho. 

50 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Dont be silly, Coutinho is currently better than Mount and RLC and a level above. Barkley has had about 2 good games in the second half of the season, doesn't suddenly make him better than Coutinho. 

OK Coutinho is better than them, but then you also have to consider the potential of Mount and RLC, play them and there is the opportunity that they become better than Coutinho in due time. 

So we might win more in time just by playing Mount and RLC and give Barkley some playtime as he has shown great ability, in comparison to spend money on Coutinho that would block the development of Mount and RLC and that would force us to sell Barkley.

On paper we might upgrade by selling Barkley and having Coutinho, at least for the short term, but in practice we would hinder Mount's and/or RLC's futher development.

Coutinho hasn't really been able to settle in Barcelona and it seems that Bayern are simply not that keen to keep him either, that could be a warning sign.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

OK Coutinho is better than them, but then you also have to consider the potential of Mount and RLC, play them and there is the opportunity that they become better than Coutinho in due time. 

So we might win more in time just by playing Mount and RLC and give Barkley some playtime as he has shown great ability, in comparison to spend money on Coutinho that would block the development of Mount and RLC and that would force us to sell Barkley.

On paper we might upgrade by selling Barkley and having Coutinho, at least for the short term, but in practice we would hinder Mount's and/or RLC's futher development.

Coutinho hasn't really been able to settle in Barcelona and it seems that Bayern are simply not that keen to keep him either, that could be a warning sign.

Oh yeah I agree with you about hindering the development of Mount and RLC, im a big fan of Mount. Maybe with Pedro and Willian leaving Coutinho would occupy one of them spots, it also depends on the fee I suppose.

Problem is football is just as much about the short term aswell as long term.

22 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Oh yeah I agree with you about hindering the development of Mount and RLC, im a big fan of Mount. Maybe with Pedro and Willian leaving Coutinho would occupy one of them spots, it also depends on the fee I suppose.

Problem is football is just as much about the short term aswell as long term.

There's no real excuse for us to look short term right now.

In 2014 when we gave up Salah/KDB for a more short term approach you can justify it with the fact there was a genuine chance a title or two could have come out of it, now it's not the case.

It's time to build something more sustainable, next time we win the league I don't want it to be a deal with the devil and have a nightmare season for the defense of it.

If there's one good thing that can come out of Liverpool and City being so far ahead is it takes away the temptation of going for the quick title.

• 3 weeks later...

David Silva is doing a AMA on reddit right now and someone ask him who he thought was the best premier league player during his time in england, his response :

There have been many, but I’ll say Frank Lampard, especially because I played at the same time as him for many years. Apart from the statistics he racked up and how he played, he’s an incredible person.

Get the feeling this enforced break will be bad for us, I think Frank needed to see how players performed in the 2nd half of the season to work out what we needed. 

It's looking like this will not be a normal window and if players do play after such along break before next season begins I don't think it will help Frank in making good personnel decisions.

3 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Get the feeling this enforced break will be bad for us, I think Frank needed to see how players performed in the 2nd half of the season to work out what we needed. 

It's looking like this will not be a normal window and if players do play after such along break before next season begins I don't think it will help Frank in making good personnel decisions.

Reckon most clubs will stick with what they got this summer, very quiet window this summer, as for playing before next season, the right thing and honourable thing would be not to play again and start a new season afresh when it's safe, but the football authorities are far from honourable and decent.

6 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Reckon most clubs will stick with what they got this summer, very quiet window this summer, 

I think the economic crash is going to be harder than people imagine. From a footballing perspective it will work in our favour, if most teams have to largely/solely rely on their academy we have a huge (borderline unfair) advantage.

Regarding the window the only position I really want us to strengthen in now Ziyech is here is left back (and if a cheap one can be found a solid keeper to keep Kepa honest), that plus the returns of Gallagher and Ampadu will be a very good window all things considered.

Edited by Argo

3 hours ago, Argo said:

I think the economic crash is going to be harder than people imagine. From a footballing perspective it will work in our favour, if most teams have to largely/solely rely on their academy we have a huge (borderline unfair) advantage.

Regarding the window the only position I really want us to strengthen in now Ziyech is here is left back (and if a cheap one can be found a solid keeper to keep Kepa honest), that plus the returns of Gallagher and Ampadu will be a very good window all things considered.

Don't forget the return of Bakayoko 😁

• 4 weeks later...

To demonstrate how many seasons/years we are from a side that can challenge anyone in the world. 2009 squad was one of them (there are others as well). That team scored over 100 goals in the Prem and had legends running around in many positions of the field.

Now these are just names and the times are different but we have to be realistic in our expectations.

Chelsea-2020-%2F-2009-formation-tactics.png

Kovacic, Zyiech, Jorginho, James and Kante are title winning quality (giving the latter the benefit of the doubt it's form not decline).

All our other academy lads plus Pulisic aren't there yet but are on the right trajectory from becoming such and even if some don't make it as top class players they will as squad players at worst (alas squad depth to cope with four competitions).

We're a lot closer than people think, next season is too soon but good recruitment alongside further good coaching and I genuinely think we can challenge season after next.

7 hours ago, evissy said:

To demonstrate how many seasons/years we are from a side that can challenge anyone in the world. 2009 squad was one of them (there are others as well). That team scored over 100 goals in the Prem and had legends running around in many positions of the field.

Now these are just names and the times are different but we have to be realistic in our expectations.

Chelsea-2020-%2F-2009-formation-tactics.png

Deco wasn't one of the main players in that Premier League winning side, he only played in half of the games, it was Mikel who played most of the games. Also, Ivanovic took Bosingwa's place because of injury and because he was a far better player and Alex and Carvalho shared the CB role in the end, but for the majority of the season, the position was Carvalho's.

Edited by Scott Harris

Deco wasn't one of the main players in that Premier League winning side, he only played in half of the games, it was Mikel who played most of the games. Also, Ivanovic took Bosingwa's place because of injury and because he was a far better player and Alex and Carvalho shared the CB role in the end, but for the majority of the season, the position was Carvalho's.
You are right. That lineup is from a specific match and it still looks like a bunch of winners. These days we play Zouma and Alonso.

According to Simon Johnson from Alex Goldberg"s Podcast:

Frank's main priority is adding goals to the team, and it sounded like he wants more from midfield particularly. He would ideally like to play with a classic holding midfielder and two advanced midfielders between the lines (sounded comparable to Man City). Generally expect Ziyech to play as 10 or AM, but Frank might even want someone else who can play as a shadow striker (Havertz interest is real, but Johnson says it's unlikely due to pandemic).

Says back 3 systems aren't the way Frank wants to go, mostly used to accommodate Alonso.

CB: Frank would ideally like a dominant CB who brings leadership and pulls everyone else along. Would especially like a left-footed defenders for the left CB slot. Think a Van Dijk type signing.

LB: Frank doesn't rate Emerson or Alonso, the clear main target is Chilwell but Telles came up as a more economic alternative, especially because pandemic and Leicester's valuation of Chilwell. Maatsen is rated very highly and is actually being considered as a LB backup option if both Emerson and Alonso leave.

Striker: Frank wants someone with a presence, someone a bit like Tammy but also more rounded. Tammy situation is a bit complicated as he's apparently waiting to see what Chelsea do before signing a new contract. If we bring someone like Aubameyang (says it's unlikely) he'd be a starter and Tammy would be unhappy. Dembele is the name Johnson hears most often, but other younger options also considered, including someone Johnson hasn't heard reported so much and can't mention himself. Sounded like the club aren't completely sure what to do about the position yet - should Tammy be a starter, have serious competition, or should they bring a starter.

Sancho: Sancho interest is real and will be a target again next summer most likely. Dortmund won't sell now, they want a bidding war after the Euros. CL football will be a big factor in how seriously we can appeal to him.

Jorginho & Kanté: Frank likes both, but club may be tempted if a good offer for Jorginho came in from Juventus. They're aware that a chance like that may never come again to make good money on him, and with Gilmour coming through there's a similar, highly promising player to potentially take the spot.

Happy with most of that.

Edited by Argo