Chelsea v Arsenal (PL) Wed 20th Apr 2022 19:45 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

27 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Win this and top four is pretty much guaranteed. 

We have 8 league games left, 7 after this.

Let's assume we put in another bad home display and lose this . We would be 5 clear of Arsenal and Spurs with one game in hand. 

So we would need to lose 3 put of the next 7, so 4 out of 8 including this one, or several draws, and Spurs and Arsenal win all 6 (7 for Arsenal including this one) for us to drop 3rd. That all seems unlikely.

16 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

We have 8 league games left, 7 after this.

Let's assume we put in another bad home display and lose this . We would be 5 clear of Arsenal and Spurs with one game in hand. 

So we would need to lose 3 put of the next 7, so 4 out of 8 including this one, or several draws, and Spurs and Arsenal win all 6 (7 for Arsenal including this one) for us to drop 3rd. That all seems unlikely.

They’ve still got to play each other.

Thankfully Kante and Silva were rested in the FA Cup and hopefully Havertz , Loftus Cheek and James are protected in this game. I should add Mason Mount but i guess he can be subbed off. 

Mendy

Christensen     Silva        Rudiger

Azpi       Kante         Jorginho          Alonso

Mount        Werner      Pulisic

4 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Thankfully Kante and Silva were rested in the FA Cup and hopefully Havertz , Loftus Cheek and James are protected in this game. I should add Mason Mount but i guess he can be subbed off. 

Mendy

I would like us to use some league games to look more at a back 4, with a 433 style. See if we can perfect a plan B or maybe a new plan A.

I also like your idea of rotated rests after such a hectic week. With thar in mind.

Mendy

Dave

Chalobah

Silva

Sarr

Saul

Kante

Barkley

Ziyech

Lukaku

Pulisic 

And before anyone says it no I do not expect TT to pick this team. He knows the physical and mental conditions of the players better than I do so I just hope those who are running down are given a game off.

Yes I know it is Arsenal but we dont need more injuries.

Edited by axman2526

11 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Mendy

I know Arsenal have quite a few injury problems at the moment, but we shouldn't play anything less than our strongest side against them, and our strongest side at the moment certainly doesn't include Jorginho, Pulisic and to a lesser extent, Dave at right back when Reece is available.

Werner as a centre- forward would also be a huge risk IMO. He has no ability to hold the ball up whatsoever.

2 hours ago, just said:

I know Arsenal have quite a few injury problems at the moment, but we shouldn't play anything less than our strongest side against them, and our strongest side at the moment certainly doesn't include Jorginho, Pulisic and to a lesser extent, Dave at right back when Reece is available.

Werner as a centre- forward would also be a huge risk IMO. He has no ability to hold the ball up whatsoever.

We just lost kovacic to injury and there are many players who have been overplayed in the last fortnight.  Mason Mount was invincible against Palace besides his goal and. Havertz just looks knackered. We risk playing them out of form or into injury if we keep forcing the issue. 

We have a multi million dollar squad and should not be afraid to use it because guess who comes in if our starters get injured.

7 hours ago, axman2526 said:

For what it's worth @The Don Antonio I think you are right on the players that TT will rest and think your line up is 10 out of 11 right.

I think Lukaku starts this one in place of either Timo or CP in your line up. James and Havertz I think get rested.

To be honest I think a front 3 of ziyexh lukaku and pulisc is the best option to rest our front 3 players and also give the aforementioned some game time .

The only way Arsenal can beat us is if we play tired players and they play a high pressing and up tempo game

14 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Mendy

James has to start. Arsenal are without 2 key players atm but they are a good team. We should be looking to put them to bed. James was rested against Southampton last weekend also and on paper this is a more difficult game against a team who mathematically could still finish above us. I also want to revenge the double they did over us last season and do the exact same to them and hurt their top 4 chances. We have the FA Cup final to look forward to but that is a month away so until then play our best team and secure top 3/4 until it is mathematically impossible to be caught.

2 hours ago, STATS said:

James has to start. Arsenal are without 2 key players atm but they are a good team. We should be looking to put them to bed. James was rested against Southampton last weekend also and on paper this is a more difficult game against a team who mathematically could still finish above us. I also want to revenge the double they did over us last season and do the exact same to them and hurt their top 4 chances. We have the FA Cup final to look forward to but that is a month away so until then play our best team and secure top 3/4 until it is mathematically impossible to be caught.

I get your point but we played our best team against Brentford realmadrd Southampton realmadrid and then rotated kante and silva against Palace. 

The rotation will continue against arsenal and then westham on Sunday. Our players are getting in the red zone . MOUNT AND HAVERTZ looked lethargic against Palace and it was to be expected.

Overplaying players is just asking for injuries 

1 hour ago, The Don Antonio said:

I get your point but we played our best team against Brentford realmadrd Southampton realmadrid and then rotated kante and silva against Palace. 

The rotation will continue against arsenal and then westham on Sunday. Our players are getting in the red zone . MOUNT AND HAVERTZ looked lethargic against Palace and it was to be expected.

Exactly. Too much importance placed on Arsenal. If we were where Pool were needing every point to try and win the title by all means risk it.

But pi$$ on Arsenal. We have a nice cushion to third. As I said before 5 to Spurs, 2 games in hand. 8 to United, 2 games in hand, 8 to Arsenal 1 game in hand.

Even if we lose this game he resting players and Spurs and United (ha ha they play Liverpool) win theirs that is

2 ahead of Spurs with 2 games in hand, 5 ahead of United with 2 games in hand and 5 ahead of Arsenal with 1 game in hand.

We have a good cushion and will see third through. 

13 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Mount and Havertz have started every game in that period, that is the difference. James hasn't. We are not fighting for the CL now and the quality after James is no where near the same level. Like I say, Arsenal are probably the best team who have to play until end of season. They have beaten us several times over last few seasons and we should be looking to ensure top 3 finish.