Next Chelsea Manager

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

• Luis Enrique
    • Massimilliano Allegri
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Diego Simeoni
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Jody Morris
    • Antonio Conte
    • Other

14 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Ahh napoli remind me of dealing with Lyon over signing essien, only worse.

For heavens 20 million to pay off conte OR we just cope one more year and he leaves for nothing? Let him stay, his ego means he will work hard to have a good year. A poor year hits his chances of one of the best jobs. 

With conte I believe we can win the Europa league. That will do. 

Let him moan in the press and cut a sad figure but we can still win, like we did year.

We can’t keep Conte, the players don’t want to play for him. Keeping him now we could lose players who are in the final year of their contracts. 

Why is anyone nervous. If we want him he is already ours, Napoli already has another manager in place FFS. Any hold up (if he is coming here) would be in dealing with Conte exit etc. 

58 minutes ago, zes said:

If there is no major announcement on Monday, tomorrow, then I'll start feeling nervous about this whole ordeal. There is simply no time left to waste. 

Why? Most of the players we're linked with aren't even in the WC. 

Not to mention the fact that transfer fees are already inflated enough that average players can cost 30m at least and the best players go from 60m - 100m.

The board just need to back the manager 100% and bring in the talents sharpish without fannying the negotiations. Not a guarantee but who knows

So if Sarri is being replaced why does a club need to pay a “release” clause.

Release him from what? 

If no one pays it, does he just stay on the pay roll at Napoli even though Ancelotti has taken charge?

My bets are on nothing happening until next week, earliest, regarding a managerial change and I’m still not entirely convinced it will definitely be Sarri. I reckon Enrique and Blanc are in the running. 

23 minutes ago, Deino said:

Why? Most of the players we're linked with aren't even in the WC. 

Not to mention the fact that transfer fees are already inflated enough that average players can cost 30m at least and the best players go from 60m - 100m.

The board just need to back the manager 100% and bring in the talents sharpish without fannying the negotiations. Not a guarantee but who knows

Nervous in relation to other clubs/rivals. They seem to be going about their business much quicker and effectively so far. It might be an unfair comparison I know, but I don't like this feeling of falling behind the rest. If we are linked mainly with non-world cup players then maybe there is less to worry about as you say. 

25 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Release him from what? 

If no one pays it, does he just stay on the pay roll at Napoli even though Ancelotti has taken charge?

My bets are on nothing happening until next week, earliest, regarding a managerial change and I’m still not entirely convinced it will definitely be Sarri. I reckon Enrique and Blanc are in the running. 

Seems like, under Italian law, so long as they keep paying him his wages they cab pay him to stay home. Leaving us having to agree terms with napoli to have him released.

3 minutes ago, zes said:

Nervous in relation to other clubs/rivals. They seem to be going about their business much quicker and effectively so far. It might be an unfair comparison I know, but I don't like this feeling of falling behind the rest. If we are linked mainly with non-world cup players then maybe there is less to worry about as you say. 

We've been behind since last summer. This is the most important summer for the club in terms of future directions. As long as the board appoints the right one and backs this person to the hilt then it'd be ok, I hope. Rather than us picking the next flavour of the month and buying every Tom, Dick and Harry and the new guy in charge not knowing what to do with them.

Ofc, it could be a mix of the 2 scenarios which would be even scarier

3 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Seems like, under Italian law, so long as they keep paying him his wages they cab pay him to stay home. Leaving us having to agree terms with napoli to have him released.

I can see De Laurentiis doing that. He'd probably play the same game with us like a few years ago with Koulibaly. 

It'd be typical of the board though to play this chicken/staring game.

20 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Okay but what incentive is there for Napoli to continue paying his wages?

Presumably Ancelotti has been handed a fairly big contract so combining his and Sarri’s wages must work out pretty costly for Napoli, even short term.

I can only assume this also relates to some of the back room staff too? Carlo is going to want to bring in some of his own team so what happens to people like fitness, goalkeeper and assistant coaches? 

All very complicated, don’t think I’ve ever known a managerial situation like this before.

12 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Presumably Ancelotti has been handed a fairly big contract so combining his and Sarri’s wages must work out pretty costly for Napoli, even short term.

I can only assume this also relates to some of the back room staff too? Carlo is going to want to bring in some of his own team so what happens to people like fitness, goalkeeper and assistant coaches? 

All very complicated, don’t think I’ve ever known a managerial situation like this before.

Iirc Zenit was also interested in Sarri. Napoli probably thinks that if Chelsea doesn't want to pay it then we'll wait till Zenit forks out the money or something along those lines.

Granted it could all blow up in Napoli's face and we'd get our man in the end.

5 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Not sure this matters that much.  For the role that Seri would play, his short stature wouldn’t make much of a difference.  And it’s not like we would be benching a tall, aerial presence to make room, as it would be Baka or Cesc making way.

Can't agree with you there mwblue. Physicality and height are very important in the Premier League. If we are carrying two sub 170 players in deep midfield we'll be providing an easy way for teams to get around a high press from goal kicks. 

Seri is also regarded as a weak defender in France. We already have a good passer who is poor without the ball. We don't need two. 

16 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Can't agree with you there mwblue. Physicality and height are very important in the Premier League. If we are carrying two sub 170 players in deep midfield we'll be providing an easy way for teams to get around a high press from goal kicks. 

Seri is also regarded as a weak defender in France. We already have a good passer who is poor without the ball. We don't need two. 

I will agree that height doesn’t hurt, and physicality is definitely very important.  I just think that based upon who Seri would replace in the lineup, his height really doesn’t matter.  Baka offered basically nothing aerially and usually nothing physically, while Cesc offers zero in both those categories.  Seri for sure is more physical than Cesc, and better in other areas than Baka, so regardless of his height, we would be better with him in the side than either of those two.

Of course, I am also of the opinion that we should go all out for Sergej Milinkovic-Savic instead of Seri.  Now there’s some height for you.  Or just get them both.

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

They will pay Sarri his paltry salary because the owner is a greedy so and so and he wants his money. Fair enough, let them pay both Sarri and Ancelotti.

His only bet is someone will eventually pay to have Sarri released and he capitalizes. Its in our best interest to pay the release clause because once that's gone Napoli can demand any amount they want. ADL just wants the satisfaction of having it his way, like he does with the players he sells and refuses to sell. 

I think most of the assistants are staying with Napoli. Hence the rumor about Zola joining Sarri here. Something about Sarri pissing them off by not negotiating new contracts with them. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

51 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

I will agree that height doesn’t hurt, and physicality is definitely very important.  I just think that based upon who Seri would replace in the lineup, his height really doesn’t matter.  Baka offered basically nothing aerially and usually nothing physically, while Cesc offers zero in both those categories.  Seri for sure is more physical than Cesc, and better in other areas than Baka, so regardless of his height, we would be better with him in the side than either of those two.

Of course, I am also of the opinion that we should go all out for Sergej Milinkovic-Savic instead of Seri.  Now there’s some height for you.  Or just get them both.

Milinkovic-Savic has all the physical attributes to dominate in this league for sure. I can't help but wonder whether he is player we are hoping RLC will turn out to be. 

I take your other point, I agree on Fabregas but disagree on Bakayoko, a physical presence without the ball was about all he offered. Under Sarri I really don't know what we're going to do with Bakayoko. I just can't see him playing out of pressue. 

I actually think we may need two players to implement Sarri's style. One is a more physical DM who is capable on the ball, one more a passing footballer as an heir to Fabregas, but with more pace and defensive awareness.

That would give us Fab, Barkley, RLC, as more attacking minded players then Kante, Physical DM, Passing DM. 

Now it may well be that Drinkwater and Bakayoko end up being shoehorned into those roles, but ideally they would come from outside.

11 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Our players as so blommin spoiled.

The era we live in isn't it, players hold all the power now. Its like teachers and schools now they can't punish kids but when they could the kids were kept in line.

I will add though I want to see the back of Conte now, I can't be doing with another season with a miserable git whinging and goading the board. Also making dumb decisions in games because he's trying to teach players not to cross him instead of thinking what's best for the actual club. The players may be spoilt but he's also been acting like a spoilt brat too.

Edited by Bobbywoodhogan

47 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

The era we live in isn't it, players hold all the power now. Its like teachers and schools now they can't punish kids but when they could the kids were kept in line.

I will add though I want to see the back of Conte now, I can't be doing with another season with a miserable git whinging and goading the board. Also making dumb decisions in games because he's trying to teach players not to cross him instead of thinking what's best for the actual club. The players may be spoilt but he's also been acting like a spoilt brat too.

And this sounds very much like many of our fans (mostly internet, haven't heard that much whinging in the stadium tbh).

12 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Release him from what? 

yes.

As i said, if i was Sarri i would wait until Friday and just resign. Nothing stopping him

1 hour ago, RMH said:

And this sounds very much like many of our fans (mostly internet, haven't heard that much whinging in the stadium tbh).

That doesn't make my opinion any less valid, end of the day he's done nothing but whinge in his press conferences and post match interviews. He's not exactly been showing support in the stadium for the fans when they've been singing his name either.

Also are people going to continually ignore the fact that only one player Giroud backed him after the Cup Final? its clear he's not wanted here by the players either.

They will wait until may 31/june 1st when his contract expires, not sure if that means hes then free or theres still something to pay but im sure he would be classed as not tied to another club etc, If this happens that is!

Edited by Bigthrobberus