Random Rumours

There is zero proof the club want Werner, Sancho and Chilwell though.  That's the thing.  I mean Sancho i think we will go in for - but this idea that we are waiting until the summer to sign them is going to leave people disappointed im afraid.   Madrid or Bayern will likely nab Werner if we are being honest.  Chilwell im not even sure we really want.  And Sancho is only coming here if we get CL, and even then its not for sure

I just think some people need to remember those 3 are not nailed on in the summer, they are not definitely coming.   It wont be only us trying to buy them.  So in that case, yes, we do need one or 2 this window to improve our top 4 chances.  Will we? Probably not as we dither too much, but who knows.  I did think all our business would be wrapped up early, as Frank knew what he wanted.  Probably negotiations going on but... 

And the lack of rumours means nothing, our club is watertight lately.  Unless the leak comes from the other side

Edited by RickUK

2 hours ago, enigma said:

That's banking on getting CL football though. Without CL football we'll be fortunate to sign any of those. Maybe, just maybe Sancho will still come, but no guarantees. Consistent CL football is a massive attraction for moving to a club. 

Yes it's true, so far we are in the CL but the more I think about it the more I'm sure that it's a considerable enough of a gamble to not sign anyone during this transfer window. We do need to finish 4th at least not because we all expected that at the start of the season but because we are in this position in which we obviously can finish in the top 4. 

Even if we miss out on Werner there will be other options which is fine I mean nothing goes really 100% according to plan but the club has no reason to back down when it comes to Sancho because both Willian and Pedro have their contracts expiring in the summer. 

Edited by Gol15
6 hours ago, enigma said:

By all accounts Utd are buying him to replace Lingard. Fernandes is going to be a definite upgrade on Lingard. It adds to their goal threat options. 

But he doesn't score many goals going by his stats. They are better off trying to get Pogba back to full fitness.

7 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

But he doesn't score many goals going by his stats. They are better off trying to get Pogba back to full fitness.

Interesting. In previous years he has had Lampardesque numbers for Sporting.

I think he'll improve them but we shouldn't be too worried. I'm quite happy if we choose not to sign anyone this window. Would muuuuuch prefer that to panic buying rubbish squad players as we have in the past. It's a hard time for players to come in and adapt.

I for one would happily do away with the January transfer window entirely. Sign players outside the season and then stick with the squad you have.

6 hours ago, RickUK said:

There is zero proof the club want Werner, Sancho and Chilwell though.  That's the thing.  I mean Sancho i think we will go in for - but this idea that we are waiting until the summer to sign them is going to leave people disappointed im afraid.   Madrid or Bayern will likely nab Werner if we are being honest.  Chilwell im not even sure we really want.  And Sancho is only coming here if we get CL, and even then its not for sure

I just think some people need to remember those 3 are not nailed on in the summer, they are not definitely coming.   It wont be only us trying to buy them.  So in that case, yes, we do need one or 2 this window to improve our top 4 chances.  Will we? Probably not as we dither too much, but who knows.  I did think all our business would be wrapped up early, as Frank knew what he wanted.  Probably negotiations going on but... 

And the lack of rumours means nothing, our club is watertight lately.  Unless the leak comes from the other side

Agree and this is my big worry. If we end up not spending this Jan, it also doesn’t automatically mean Lamps will be given a £300m+ kitty in the summer.

4 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Interesting. In previous years he has had Lampardesque numbers for Sporting.

I think he'll improve them but we shouldn't be too worried. I'm quite happy if we choose not to sign anyone this window. Would muuuuuch prefer that to panic buying rubbish squad players as we have in the past. It's a hard time for players to come in and adapt.

I for one would happily do away with the January transfer window entirely. Sign players outside the season and then stick with the squad you have.

My bad, I was thinking of Gedson Fernandes who has recently gone to Spurs on loan......doh!

A lot of the earlier rumours have dampened down now. 

Sancho - sounds like we’ve scared off the price tag. 

Chilwell - not moving soon 

Werner - not happening

As frustrating as it is, we all want the right signings rather than any old signings. 

In the absence of ACTUAL transfer news, how about some speculation  

Duncan Castles: "My understanding is that Chelsea are very keen on taking Sancho. They’re keen on making a statement signing now that they are able to work in the transfer market again and have a lot of resource to spend in this window." 

Duncan Castles: "Whether that is the best way for Chelsea to go forward, I think there are internal doubts about that and maybe the money which would be involved in taking Sancho, with Borussia Dortmund asking for over €100m for him..."

Duncan Castles: "...and the player also wanting very substantial financial terms, could be invested better in a different kind of winger and money used elsewhere in this window." #CFC #Sancho

Duncan Castles: "There’s been an enquiry about Lewis Dunk at Brighton, so there’s a prospective they (Chesea) could improve at centre-back and also thinking about doing something at left-back,."

There's a real chance we are going to go through a whole season without a signing ( with all due respect to the under 18 players we have and will sign). It would be a bold and risky move, but maybe none of the real targets aren't going to move this window, and we certainly aren't taking the risk on another Drinkwater. Look on the positive side, the last team who hasn't made a deal for the whole season made the top 4, and the CL final, just saying..

4 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

There's a real chance we are going to go through a whole season without a signing ( with all due respect to the under 18 players we have and will sign). It would be a bold and risky move, but maybe none of the real targets aren't going to move this window, and we certainly aren't taking the risk on another Drinkwater. Look on the positive side, the last team who hasn't made a deal for the whole season made the top 4, and the CL final, just saying..

it is possible.  Although its entirely possible we are waiting for the final week.  negotiations will be happening, always are.  just whether the club push ahead with them

(from the bbc website)

Frank Lampard speaking with Sky Sports: "We know we have problems at the top of the pitch in terms of we dont get enough goals. If you dont score you are always liable for a sucker punch and they got it.

"If we are looking for people to bring in to the areas to win games when you are controlling it, it is scoring goals.

"We cant work anymore in training on finishing. You need to have that killer instinct in front of goal. We need to score more goals from front-line areas if we are going to get to where we want to be.

"Its quite clear from what I am saying now that we know where we need to strengthen but we shall see."

A natural LB would seem to be our top target at the moment. Based on the fact that Frank seems reluctant to play the 2 he currently has in the squad. I would also say a striker that will actually provide some competition for Tammy. Problem is that very little quality seems available right now. We will probably end up paying well over the odds for average players. Or perhaps the club will gamble on what we have while waiting until the summer when more players are available. I won't be surprised to see a panic buy or 2 😉