Money

Random Rumours

On 24/01/2020 at 05:17, RickUK said:

Have a nagging feeling todays presser is the one where Frank confirms no new arrivals.  a week left and just no solid news of any movement.... 

I think Lampard is begging the Board to bring in new players. He looks increasingly frustrated and it’s very worrying that the Board are dragging their feet. We’ve seen the Board leave managers hang out to dry before over new signings. 

It’s not as if players aren’t available this window. Given the transfer ban last summer the case for new players is pretty urgent given the falling off in our form as games have piled up.

If the Board don’t back Lampard then things are going to be pretty bleak I’d say both for the team’s chances of securing a top four spot and for the Board’s relationship with Lampard himself.

19 minutes ago, Socrates said:

I think Lampard is begging the Board to bring in new players. He looks increasingly frustrated and it’s very worrying that the Board are dragging their feet. We’ve seen the Board leave managers hang out to dry before over new signings. 

It’s not as if players aren’t available this window. Given the transfer ban last summer the case for new players is pretty urgent given the falling off in our form as games have piled up.

If the Board don’t back Lampard then things are going to be pretty bleak I’d say both for the team’s chances of securing a top four spot and for the Board’s relationship with Lampard himself.

I thought the interview was tetchy to say the least. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes but he sounded like he had a clear picture of what he wanted and that hasn't happened. I await the return of Pato on loan to sort everything out...

Considering the fact that Frank wasn't sure if Tammy will be ready for Leicester City and that we basically don't have a backup for Mount I think that it's evident that we do need reinforcements and the board should be able to see it.

Maybe somehow the club just doesn't have the funds.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Considering the fact that Frank wasn't sure if Tammy will be ready for Leicester City and that we basically don't have a backup for Mount I think that it's evident that we do need reinforcements and the board should be able to see it.

Maybe somehow the club just doesn't have the funds.

I think the funds are there. It’s likely just indecision, uncertainty and possibly incompetence. Waiting till the last day to sign one likely stop-gap player is just a terrible way to do things. It’s blindingly obvious that you need to get players in earlier to give them time to train and adjust and even maybe play a cup game. Bringing in someone at the end of the window then asking them to hit the ground running, especially if they come from abroad, is really dubious.

At this stage in the window we’re better off signing someone already playing in the Premier League. But, to be honest, I have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. By the look of it, neither does Lampard.

On 23/01/2020 at 15:33, dkw said:

So what do you want to happen, just go out and get anyone, no matter who? I would much rather we had the right targets and if they arent gettable now then wait until the summer, rather than just sign any old sh*te like we have done in the past.

To be fair, we've signed plenty of sh*te in recent summer transfer windows, too. It's the same crap over and over again, we keep hearing how diffcult it is to get quality players in January, then comes summer, we do f**k all for weeks and weeks and then sign some dross at the deadine.

When was the last time we actually signed players who really upgraded the side and made a difference? Fabregas and Costa in 2014 and Kante in 2016, that's about it. Most of the rest were either expensive flops (Morata, possibly Kepa) or absolute rubbish, like Bakayoko or Zappacosta. Fans have every right to be unhappy, whoever identifies our transfer tagets has been stealing a living for quite some time now.

Edited by abramovich

Think it will be a let down for Lampard if the club fail to get a striker. It's quite extraordinary after finally over turned the ban, we have done f* all and it's almost the end of the month. My guess is Lampard is frustrated like anyone else about our failures to take chances, and he's not having much faith about Batman start scoring all of a sudden.

i dont think we are realising how tough this market is .. there are 3 teams desperately trying to get in reinforcements in us , Utd and Spurs all with urgency especially in the CF position.. but unfortunately there arent a lot of quality CFs available that actually improve us.. Dembele doesnt want to move.. Cavani want to play in Spain..  whom are we going to target?

I've said this before a few seasons ago, I think our scouting staff is very poor which leaves us going after the 'obvious' targets which are also being targeted by others so the price increases....meanwhile Barca making a 67m bid for Ben Yedder from Monaco to replace Suarez, never read any other clubs after him...if he's good enough for Barca is he not good enough for us? Is the club telling us that there isn't one player in South America or Europe that is not good enough for our misfiring team, or is the Board looking at our games saying 'Well hell the team plays well going forward they just don't know what to do with it when they get to 20 yards from goal, and that's the coaches job to sort that out, not just buying another player'..... and up to a point I agree with them if that's the reason for not bringing anyone in. 

Why bother getting the transfer ban reduced if we didn't actually have any plans to sign anybody? I can understand not wanting to sign a stop gap player or panic buy, I don't want us doing that either, and I would rather sign nobody at all than bring in expensive rubbish like we have done in recent times. But we have scouts looking at players all over the world, are they seriously saying there isn't a single player out there that we couldn't sign to improve this squad? You ask the manager what type of player he needs, he tells you, then you go looking for that player. They have had plenty of time to look around, all of summer, the period where the window was closed, this transfer window. Surely they can do better than Cavani or Dembele?  

I agree with @abramovich, the person or people in charge of finding the right players hasn't been good enough for a while now. I don't believe for a second that there aren't any players around that are available, that is just nonsense.

I see Minamino has started again for Liverpool. Signed in December. Been training with the first team for a month. Started two games already.

Nobody is expecting him to tear up trees but has been introduced gradually into the set up. Got to admire how professionally Liverpool identify and introduce their targets into their system.

43 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Why bother getting the transfer ban reduced if we didn't actually have any plans to sign anybody? I can understand not wanting to sign a stop gap player or panic buy, I don't want us doing that either, and I would rather sign nobody at all than bring in expensive rubbish like we have done in recent times. But we have scouts looking at players all over the world, are they seriously saying there isn't a single player out there that we couldn't sign to improve this squad? You ask the manager what type of player he needs, he tells you, then you go looking for that player. They have had plenty of time to look around, all of summer, the period where the window was closed, this transfer window. Surely they can do better than Cavani or Dembele?  

I agree with @abramovich, the person or people in charge of finding the right players hasn't been good enough for a while now. I don't believe for a second that there aren't any players around that are available, that is just nonsense.

Our fine was reduced too. Maybe that was more our target?

3 hours ago, Socrates said:

I see Minamino has started again for Liverpool. Signed in December. Been training with the first team for a month. Started two games already.

Nobody is expecting him to tear up trees but has been introduced gradually into the set up. Got to admire how professionally Liverpool identify and introduce their targets into their system.

They can't lose a game and have a full squad full of depth, yet they secured Minamino even before this window started. We act like we have no urge to sign anyone, like we are in a better situation than Liverpool. We need some better scouting.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I am not even sure that we do have scouts scouring europe and south america for players. All we ever seem to get linked to are the same players that everyone else gets linked to. I think our scouts are those bl00dy idiots on Sky Sports, Dharmesh Seth and that Kharvo fella.

I cannot remember the last time we made a major coup or marquee signing. When did we last unearth a bargain or potential starlet that we brought into the team.

On 25/01/2020 at 11:48, JM7 said:

What about Dyabla? He was close to leaving and hasn’t signed a new deal. 

Would be my dream signing, but sadly a dream is all that transfer will ever be.

Clearly the right players aren’t available. I am not shocked we haven’t made a signing. I would rather we wait and get our top targets in the summer. You have to remember these people have contracts and most aren’t actually available. Just because we want to sign someone doesn’t mean they want to/the club want to sell them. 

9 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

I've said this before a few seasons ago, I think our scouting staff is very poor which leaves us going after the 'obvious' targets which are also being targeted by others so the price increases....meanwhile Barca making a 67m bid for Ben Yedder from Monaco to replace Suarez, never read any other clubs after him...if he's good enough for Barca is he not good enough for us? Is the club telling us that there isn't one player in South America or Europe that is not good enough for our misfiring team, or is the Board looking at our games saying 'Well hell the team plays well going forward they just don't know what to do with it when they get to 20 yards from goal, and that's the coaches job to sort that out, not just buying another player'..... and up to a point I agree with them if that's the reason for not bringing anyone in. 

Good point but Barca has to be the worst example of doing good business. A player bought 6 months ago for £36m is now worth almost 2x the amount? Also  Loaning out a £100m+ player.

They will most likely end up selling Ben Yedder next season if he ends up there because they are paying Messi €1m/ week and need to finance it somehow.

A few links from Italian journos to Piatek from Milan these last few hours. These might just be links to drive the price higher for Spurs I'm not sure.

He could be worth a look. Had a cracker of a year last seasom but has struggled in a stale Milan team this term. He isn't perfect but there are two things that I really like about him:

1. He runs his socks off without the ball. Presses hard and runs hard to make space for others.

2. He scores most of his goals surrounded by defenders. He isn't one of these guys that relies on the ball being in behind the defensive line. He scores plenty of headers and seems to have a nack of making space for himself in the box. That suggests he could do okay against the deep defences we tend to face. 

Again we may just be being used to get better fee/contract from Spurs. But if we're actually in the market he is better Michy and Dembele. Sounds like he would be achievable as well. Hell I'd be happy to sign him just to piss off Spurs who want him to replace Kane

5 hours ago, forbzy said:

Today's rumours link us with Piatek and even Ollie Watkins of Brentford. Probably no substance behind either.

12 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

A few links from Italian journos to Piatek from Milan these last few hours. These might just be links to drive the price higher for Spurs I'm not sure.

He could be worth a look. Had a cracker of a year last seasom but has struggled in a stale Milan team this term. He isn't perfect but there are two things that I really like about him:

1. He runs his socks off without the ball. Presses hard and runs hard to make space for others.

2. He scores most of his goals surrounded by defenders. He isn't one of these guys that relies on the ball being in behind the defensive line. He scores plenty of headers and seems to have a nack of making space for himself in the box. That suggests he could do okay against the deep defences we tend to face. 

Again we may just be being used to get better fee/contract from Spurs. But if we're actually in the market he is better Michy and Dembele. Sounds like he would be achievable as well. Hell I'd be happy to sign him just to piss off Spurs who want him to replace Kane

Two very different links eh? Lol

Why not both? Giroud is gone, bats is terrible and Tammy is injured. So why not?

Edited by axman2526

16 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Two very different links eh? Lol

Why not both? Giroud is gone, bats is terrible and Tammy is injured. So why not?

Well Tammy proves that just because you're playing in the Championship doesn't mean you can't score a hatful in the PL.

Just now, Spiller86 said:

Well Tammy proves that just because you're playing in the Championship doesn't mean you can't score a hatful in the PL.

Exactly. So why not both? We started the season with 3 options? Is there a reason 2 of them plus Tammy could not play together.

Can send bats out on loan to palace.

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

Exactly. So why not both? We started the season with 3 options? Is there a reason 2 of them plus Tammy could not play together.

Can send bats out on loan to palace.

Yeah wouldn't bother me if Bats left. I think the only risk is that preferably you want strikers who can play together. That's our challenge at the moment. Ideally we need to find a modern Anelka or Gudjohnsen who can play around Tammy as the man leading the line. Sadly no one comes to mind!