Random Rumours

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

I would rather have Alonso. The only thing Rose beats Alonso on is pace. Plus, I don't like him. 

This would just be a stopgap signing. He doesn't make us stronger or improve our top 4 chances so what is the point?

Rose could have the ability of prime Ashley Cole and I still wouldn't want the repulsive c**t anywhere near Stamford Bridge. 

12 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I would rather have Alonso. The only thing Rose beats Alonso on is pace. Plus, I don't like him. 

This would just be a stopgap signing. He doesn't make us stronger or improve our top 4 chances so what is the point?

Personally think Alonso is lacking a lot more than just pace. As a left wing back he isn't as exposed but we've played with a back 4 more often than not this year.

In my opinion he's an upgrade on Emerson and a better left back than Alonso, so does in fact make us stronger.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Mertens for £5m wouldn't be the worst signing tbh.  He's still a great finisher and can play wide as well as through the middle.

I guess this will allow an unhappy Giroud to move, the interesting part will be Mertens knows Bats from Belgium and can this help Bats play better for us.

I’d take Mertens, despite him being 53 he’d be an improvement over Bats.

The only thing is what do we do with him next season? It’s a real possibility he’ll end up like Pedro. Too old and past it.

Surely there is a striker who is a couple of years younger can be signed for around 20m? Even a 30 year old striker would be better.

Last minute rush again, looked like we either slept through the first 30 days of the window, or we just under estimated the market and other clubs again. I'd take Mertens for 10, 5M seemed to be fair, let's double it to get it done. This is a temporary fix, not going to have a huge impact on the supposed marquee signing next season.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

Every report coming out of Italy says that Napoli don't want to sell him so it's looking unlikely.

some say de laurentiis has not responded yet.   To be honest though all the reports saying he will stay are on about the goalscoring record.... So i think they are based on opinion as oppose to fact.

But I have no faith in us getting him... I just think ADL will drive such a hard bargain.   Although they have signed Politano on loan, linked with one or 2 others.  And by all accounts Gattuso hardly uses him at all

Edited by RickUK

Unless Mertens is still contemplating a new contract with Napoli then they have to choose between getting a small sum for him in this window, or nothing in the summer. They are not in a great position of strength in that respect. A bit like us and Willian/Pedro.

Why don't we just promote Giroud to 2nd choice. He offers more to the team than Michy and we have obviously left it to late in the window. Instead of panic buying let Giroud play his way into the team.

I have a horrible feeling that (without telling anybody) The Board have already decided there is no value to be had in January and that they will keep their powder (and growing war chest) dry until the Summer 😕

I think Frank will get one player probably Mertens, personally think this window is a tricky one to make good purchases.

We got advised late that we could add to the squad and then you have what Frank wanted.

Once that was established you need to identify good targets and go after players within the rules of the governing bodies.

So what is available?

•  Older players running down their contracts, If they are still good the owning team will want them to sign a one year contract or get a good deal.
  •  Bench warmers due to personality disputes or other players keeping them out of the team. If the former treat with caution if in the latter scenario and their own team is challenging or fighting relegation unlikely to let them leave so as to have cover.
  •  Younger players wanting more first team play, unlikely a top team will loan a potential starlet to another top team.

Another consideration is FFP, the authorities acted against us on a different issue yet seeing they have now acted, does that mean they will act retrospectively on the FFP issue?

It's now a modern game of poker for me played out with club accountants, players agents and the selling club.

If we are indeed interested in signing Mertens we will have to make a generous offer I think. We have not found it easy to deal with the Napoli owner in the past. I suspect we will have to pay over the odds. If Nothing cones of this move for Mertens I doubt we will see any signings this window  Hopefully we don't let Giroud go unless we have a squad replacement

Mertens is currently injured though, hasnt played since December. How wise would it be to bring him in, knowing it might be late march before he is even close adapting.

Too late know to make a decent signing that could have an impact in my opinion.

Personally i would bring back boga, just to freshen things up. Cheap transfer, fit, playing regularly and in good form. He knows the country, language, club, manangement, and alot of the players, and he is versatile enough to provide something different out wide or in tne number 10. 

Bringing in a striker now is a pipe dream. Might as well stick with the 3 we have and hope Abraham can stay fit, and batshuayi and giroud can pitch in when they get an opportunity.

30 minutes ago, big blue said:

Mertens is currently injured though, hasnt played since December. How wise would it be to bring him in, knowing it might be late march before he is even close adapting.

Too late know to make a decent signing that could have an impact in my opinion.

Personally i would bring back boga, just to freshen things up. Cheap transfer, fit, playing regularly and in good form. He knows the country, language, club, manangement, and alot of the players, and he is versatile enough to provide something different out wide or in tne number 10. 

Bringing in a striker now is a pipe dream. Might as well stick with the 3 we have and hope Abraham can stay fit, and batshuayi and giroud can pitch in when they get an opportunity.

Can Boga play as a striker? What's his position anyway? No idea, a winger I'd assume?

6 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I’d take Mertens, despite him being 53 he’d be an improvement over Bats.

The only thing is what do we do with him next season? It’s a real possibility he’ll end up like Pedro. Too old and past it.

Surely there is a striker who is a couple of years younger can be signed for around 20m? Even a 30 year old striker would be better.

Or we just keep Giroud and actually use him. I understand him being benched for Abraham but he should be above batshuayi in the pecking order 

Doesn’t look as if we will be getting any transfers then. You would probably need to have a bid accepted today if you had any chance of getting someone in for tomorrow. 

Tammy and Bats it is then 

22 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Doesn’t look as if we will be getting any transfers then. You would probably need to have a bid accepted today if you had any chance of getting someone in for tomorrow. 

Tammy and Bats it is then 

Hopefully we don't sell Giroud then. Tammy is already carrying an injury. If Giroud leaves we would be left relying on Bats for goals.

3 hours ago, coombsie said:

I have a horrible feeling that (without telling anybody) The Board have already decided there is no value to be had in January and that they will keep their powder (and growing war chest) dry until the Summer 😕

This is probably correct. I think we have made an offer to Cavani short term but it looks like Madrid is his preferred destination. Who else on the market might reasonably upgrade us, there are strikers available who might freshen us up though like all short term loans its a risk. As a total wildcard maybe Rondon who at least has player in the Prem before.

Not convinced Mertens is the answer, is he any better than Pedro?