Random Rumours

14 hours ago, abramovich said:

I keep reading people mentioning how they're prepared to stay put and wait for the summer because there's no value to be had in January, the transfer fees quoted are overly inflated, because clubs know we're a bit desperate, no point in signing new players just for the sake of signing, etc etc and I happen to agree with most of it.

But the way I see it, each and every club's strategy and actions should be judged based on their needs, capabilities and circumstances they operate under. Liverpool and Man City, for example, don't have to sign anybody urgently, they're well stacked as it is, and can wait till summer to conduct their business. We aren't. On top of losing our best player and not being able to sign new players in the summer, we're still suffering from terrible transfer business of the last few years, where we spent a fortune on misfits, quite a few of them are so poor, they're currently out on loan because we have no use for them in the squad.

What happened to our scouting, by the way? When was the last time we've uncovered a relatively unknown player for a modest fee who became an integral part of the team? Who was the genius who decided that wasting £300m on a collection of Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Kepa, Morata, Batshuayi, Barkley, Emerson and Giroud was a good strategy? Who scouted Michy and didn't notice that he is sh*t at everything except shooting from inside the box? Or that Drinkwater is a midtable level footballer? Who dug up Zappacosta in the dying hours of summer of 2017, the same window when City bought Walker, Mendy and Danilo? Who is the expert who felt Bakayoko is worth 40m and is the player we should go after at Monaco when he was literally the least technically  gifted player on that team? Who thought it was the risk worth taking to splash the world record fee for a goalkeeper on you-know-who? 

I know there are no guarantees but don't you think we've had way too many misses in the recent years than we did hits? Our shocking transfer business in the last three years or so is bigger reason for our current struggles than the transfer ban or even loss of Hazard. The board repeatedly failed to back the managers and by extension failed the supporters.

I'm positive there are players out there that can upgrade our team and they can be had, and they're not necessarily the names we keep reading on the internet. Whether it's doable with the current team running the show, I'm not so sure. I'm sure Marina is a tough negotiator when it comes to fees and contracts but she isn't the one identifying and scouting potential targets, or at least I hope she isn't. I'm still holdIng out hope that they can get somebody in but if they fail to get Frank some help by the time Saturday comes, I'll be very disappointed, but not surprised.

Brilliant summation of the current situation !!

I have been thinking for a long while, that whoever was in charge of recruitment for the last 5 years needs shooting! Was it Emanalo? is it now Maria? she may be a brilliant deal do'er but I would venture she would not have the foggiest idea about the best young LB's CB's and Strikers in the World. So who is it? why do the club remain silent? and who in the hell has the job of spending our supposed "war chest" now or in the Summer?

I also believe that we do not need much of a tweak to make this year's top 4.  It looks as though we will buy nobody, but if we could only have one on deadline day, I would still take a striker, as that is what we need most. I know that Dave is not the player he was, Emerson has been woeful, Alonso is way past his best and we cannot seem to find a CB pairing that works but as the old adage goes, Goal win games and Frank is clearly frustrated by the shocking number of chances that go begging. We have plenty of money stashed away, so I would make PSG an offer they can't refuse or go back to Lyon for Dembele and make their eyes water.

12 hours ago, big blue said:

Both young enough to grow though. How rounded a player was anelka when he was jumping between fenebache, city and bolton? 

Gudjohnson's game changed massively from when we signed him, until when we won the league. 

How many players under 24 have the complete package? 

edit re werner. He has changed his game a faur bit over his rarly career already. Started out as more of a winger, then he was more of poacher, playing on the shoulder, and this season, he has been used as a false 9. Ive seen him quite a bit as well, and he has a really broad skill set, modern forward imo. 

We'll have to agree to disagree re: Werner. He's got a killer shot and has broadened a bit this year under Nagelsman but for me his main threat is still using his pace to get behind the defence in that inside left channel.

It says a lot in my view that Bayern won't sign him (and they hoover up any decent talent in Germany) because they are worried his strengths won't suit playing against the deep defences they often face. He would have the same problem here for us.

Edited by Spiller86
15 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Yes I saw that too, looks talented yet nothing from more mainstream sources.

Ziyech is a funny one. So mecurial. First leg against us he looked weak and rubbish. Just tried dribbling around our players and got shoved off the ball every time. Second leg he played differently and just whipped evil crosses and corners at us and we couldn't cope. 

If he is cheapish he'd be good as an option for something different even just as a left footed  option that can cross.

28 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree re: Werner. He's got a killer shot and has broadened a bit this year under Nagelsman but for me his main threat is still using his pace to get behind the defence in that inside left channel.

It says a lot in my view that Bayern won't sign him (and they hoover up any decent talent in Germany) because they are worried his strengths won't suit playing against the deep defences they often face. He would have the same problem here for us.

Bit of a long bow on what Bayern think. Could be a slow burner this one. 

5 minutes ago, ozboy said:

Bit of a long bow on what Bayern think. Could be a slow burner this one. 

I don't think so. Very relevant to our considerations as we face similar packed defences. No point in having a striker great at running in behind when you are a possession team and other squads defend deep along the 18 yard box removing that space. 

How do we never learn?

Always leave it until the last minute and end up getting rinced by some club for some bang-average player when the panic sets in. Kepa, Drinkwater, Zappacosta etc.

At this point we are probably better off not getting anyone and hope for the best. 

26 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I don't think so. Very relevant to our considerations as we face similar packed defences. No point in having a striker great at running in behind when you are a possession team and other squads defend deep along the 18 yard box removing that space. 

Sure but how do you know that’s what Bayern think?

8 minutes ago, Sindre said:

How do we never learn?

Always leave it until the last minute and end up getting rinced by some club for some bang-average player when the panic sets in. Kepa, Drinkwater, Zappacosta etc.

At this point we are probably better off not getting anyone and hope for the best. 

Is that Bob Hope or No Hope?   Well I guess if we don't sign anyone, fans can't saw we bought sh*te players as we have in previous years... 2 days left and not a whisper from any corner of the world.

So far Spurs have strengthened and still looking to strengthen further. Meanwhile, we know we need to strengthen, even Lampard has vaguely hinted at it in pressers and post match interviews, yet the club still have done very little. We should have had signing/s already wrapped up. 

My guess, going on Chelsea precedent, is that we'll sign a striker, possibly on loan. Firstly, we have a habit of doing things at the death in the window, and secondly, whenever a manager has cried out for a player to fill a position, we've gone and got somebody. We've not always signed well, but we've gone and got somebody.

Basically it's happening folks. I've been on this forum a long time. I've never been even remotely close to being wrong on anything.

8 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

My guess, going on Chelsea precedent, is that we'll sign a striker, possibly on loan. Firstly, we have a habit of doing things at the death in the window, and secondly, whenever a manager has cried out for a player to fill a position, we've gone and got somebody. We've not always signed well, but we've gone and got somebody.

I agree with that.

9 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Basically it's happening folks. I've been on this forum a long time. I've never been even remotely close to being wrong on anything.

That's a bold claim yet may be correct, I also remain optimistic we will sign someone though quality is not assured. 

20 minutes ago, Ledgerson said:

According to Di Marzio, we're talking with Napoli about Mertens. His contract expires in the summer, we want to bring him in now.

Don't think he would replace Tammy on the pitch sounds desperate to me, not  a bad player though don't see him as a No.9 and 32.

25 minutes ago, Ledgerson said:

According to Di Marzio, we're talking with Napoli about Mertens. His contract expires in the summer, we want to bring him in now.

Hasn’t he been out injured for a while? I guess we’re in full panic mode then. 

58 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

That's a bold claim yet may be correct, I also remain optimistic we will sign someone though quality is not assured. 

There was the time I predicted Lampard would be our all-time record goalscorer then would go and play for City before jetting off to the States.

This was while he was at West Ham.

Mertens is experienced, can score goals and get assists. Last season he scored 16 goals and got 11 assists. This season he has 4 goals and 2 assists, but has 5 goals out of 6 apps in the CL this season too.

This signing would be far from a panic buy, but why the board have waited until a few days before the close of the window to push this through is silly. The club are always too reluctant to pull the trigger on deals, which is why we've been left behind in previous windows. 

Just now, Davey Baby said:

There was the time I predicted Lampard would be our all-time record goalscorer then would go and play for City before jetting off to the States.

This was while he was at West Ham.

That appears like an ESP property, I have had experiences though from a protective perspective rather than football predictions.

I have experimented with football betting using very small bets to see if I could develop a pattern and very hit and miss though with surprising patterns. 

I thought in 2012 in the early rounds when we came back against the Italians and against logic that we would win the CL and betted correctly that Conte would win the league in his first season too.

53 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Hasn’t he been out injured for a while? I guess we’re in full panic mode then. 

He hasn't featured for Napoli since late December. He picked up a thigh injury. I don't know when he is expected back. He is a good player but 32 so would only offer a short term option I would think.

22 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

That appears like an ESP property, I have had experiences though from a protective perspective rather than football predictions.

I have experimented with football betting using very small bets to see if I could develop a pattern and very hit and miss though with surprising patterns. 

I thought in 2012 in the early rounds when we came back against the Italians and against logic that we would win the CL and betted correctly that Conte would win the league in his first season too.

When we sacked Ranieri I placed a bet that he would come back later with an unfashionable East Midlands side and win the title.